No announcement yet.

Filler Rod selection AL 4043 or A356?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where are you at Ron? If you're near me, I'll give you some 4943. I have used it with great success on some unknown type aluminum castings. I have also used 4043 with success though. But I'll be more than happy to share. I'm in Beaumont, Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
      Sorry I can't PM for some reason...Bob aametalmaster @yahoo.com
      I could not PM you either

Emailed ....

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
      Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
      Dynasty 200DX
      Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
      Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Thank you for your offering @ryanjones but i live in FL. I still do not have an answer on which to use? Any ideas? 4043 or A356

Comment

Ron

Where in FL...??

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
          Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
          Dynasty 200DX
          Millermatic 200

Comment

I don't consider myself qualified to advise you but how did the original damage occur and how important is achieving the original strength. From the article I linked, I would say that you can achieve the original chemical composition with the 4181C-A356 but it would need the heat treatment to achieve the original strength. The 4043 will not have the original strength either.
            T4 temper is solution heat treated to dissolve elements into the casting and cooled rapidly to keep them in solution and naturally aged to a stable condition. I don't know what the T430 is specifically. But without heat treatment you will not regain the original conditions.
            Question is does it matter?
            ---Meltedmetal

Comment

Originally posted by H80N View Post
              Ron

Where in FL...??
              Reason I ask is I have a friend in JAX who could probably loan you few sticks of 4943 to get this job done

My Blue Stuff:
              Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
              Dynasty 200DX
              Millermatic 200

Comment

I would do 4043, and turn the cleaning up.
                if there's a welder, there's a way

Comment

being that its cast aluminum, he'll have to turn the cleaning action up a ways no matter what alloy he welds it with.

Ron, have you experienced the joys of welding cast aluminum before?

Comment

Well I do not weld actually, I am only trying to find which would give me better strength properties. Basically I am doing this project to look for any failures it may experience after welding.I am going to have welder weld this and a machinist clean it up. I looked through the AMS handbook for Welding and found 4145 gives better strength, therefore, I am going to select that over the 4043 or A356.

From what I gathered,

4043 is not heat treatable. 4043 is better for ductility than 4145, however in my application I will need it for strength.
                    A356 is heat treatable. A356 has a slightly better strength properties over 4043. I am guessing A356 filler is very old thats why its harder to find now.

I agree with 4943 after doing research is good one and will definitely give that a try. I am sorry for all your troubles I may have caused lol I know in the end I just decided to use a different filler altogether . And I live near Panama City.

Thanks everybody!

Comment

ah. Well, hope you're successful with your experiment.

Comment

Sorry I'm so late to the game.

A356 would give you the best performance in the as welded condition and if you were going to post weld heat treat since the chemistry will be almost identical to the original casting. If you have A356 rod, use it.

4943 is a very close second as far as strength in the as welded and post weld heat treated condition goes. Yes, 4943 is heat treatable.

4043 is satisfactory and will work just fine but not provide you with original strength as cast/heat treated. 4043 is not heat treatable.

How soon do you need to weld this? I have a one pound tube of 3/32" 4943 I could send you if you want. Just give me your address and I'll send it out no charge.

Since you are not going to reheat treat this part, using 4145 may not have any advantages in the strength department (depending on the thickness of the material where it broke already). If it fails again it will probably fail in the HAZ of the casting.

My guess is that it is going to be difficult to find either A356 or 4145 and they will probably cost you 2-3 times more than 4943 (infinitely more since I've offered it for free :-).

FYI, we offer all of our alloys in 10 lb boxes for TIG, some of the more popular diameters and alloys we offer in 1 lb tubes.

Comment

Well, good luck then.
                          if there's a welder, there's a way

Comment

Originally posted by Hobart Aluminum View Post
                            Sorry I'm so late to the game.

A356 would give you the best performance in the as welded condition and if you were going to post weld heat treat since the chemistry will be almost identical to the original casting. If you have A356 rod, use it.

4943 is a very close second as far as strength in the as welded and post weld heat treated condition goes. Yes, 4943 is heat treatable.

4043 is satisfactory and will work just fine but not provide you with original strength as cast/heat treated. 4043 is not heat treatable.

How soon do you need to weld this? I have a one pound tube of 3/32" 4943 I could send you if you want. Just give me your address and I'll send it out no charge.

Since you are not going to reheat treat this part, using 4145 may not have any advantages in the strength department (depending on the thickness of the material where it broke already). If it fails again it will probably fail in the HAZ of the casting.

My guess is that it is going to be difficult to find either A356 or 4145 and they will probably cost you 2-3 times more than 4943 (infinitely more since I've offered it for free :-).

FYI, we offer all of our alloys in 10 lb boxes for TIG, some of the more popular diameters and alloys we offer in 1 lb tubes.
                            Thanks Galen..... always appreciate your metalurgical knowelge.& expertise.. you distill it down to the important facts....

My Blue Stuff:
                            Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                            Dynasty 200DX
                            Millermatic 200

Comment

Hey guys,

So I want to try the Al 4943 rod....Anybody still up for sending me 1lb? If this works well with our aluminum pieces, I am thinking about ordering more pounds for our company. It would be great if I can get 1/16" size to test. Thank you and much appreciated with all the help here. You guys are awesome

Comment

Originally posted by ron144 View Post
                                Hey guys,

So I want to try the Al 4943 rod....Anybody still up for sending me 1lb? If this works well with our aluminum pieces, I am thinking about ordering more pounds for our company. It would be great if I can get 1/16" size to test. Thank you and much appreciated with all the help here. You guys are awesome
                                Ron....................sent you a PM....

My Blue Stuff:
                                Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                                Dynasty 200DX
                                Millermatic 200

Comment

Working...
                                X