old guy knowledge about old welder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• old guy knowledge about old welder

I am a new member to this forum and I have read a lot of posts and discussions and I know there has to be some old cats on here. I am an old iron collector border line horder. I enjoy making old junk work like new.
    I recently acquired an old Hobart brothers engine drive welder. It's a 300amp with a 6 cylinder flathead Chrysler motor. It say in a barn for 15 years and after freeing up the stuck valves and getting a good tune up on it it's running great...I freed up all the bushes which was a pain in the 4th point of contact and now it welds like a dream!! I have my preferences for different brands for different things...I absolutely love millers mig welders and for the heavy stick work I've never had better than the old mans 1937 400 amp Lincoln...that is until I started running this old Hobart. It lays out a bead like butter. I absolutely love this old rig and I may build another mobile welding rig to throw it on.
    Now for my old guy question....has anybody ran one of these units before? Id like to find parts for it but I've zero luck except for brushes. I've tried to get info on it from the Hobart site but they say they can't give me much info other than Amps and duty cycle. Any first hand knowledge would be awesome because I'd just like to know!

I can't help you with your welder, but you did make reference to something in my background. Not many of use the term "forth point of contact" so colorfully without knowing where it comes from.

Comment

Yes for the better part of my adult life (8 years) I was either being told to get my head out of it or telling fng's to get their heads out of it or teaching how to properly land with it. See the world they said...it's an adventure they said...but I wouldn't have changed any of it!! Well most I wouldn't change some things should just stay in the sandbox

Comment

Originally posted by mrsully View Post
        I am a new member to this forum and I have read a lot of posts and discussions and I know there has to be some old cats on here. I am an old iron collector border line horder. I enjoy making old junk work like new.
        I recently acquired an old Hobart brothers engine drive welder. It's a 300amp with a 6 cylinder flathead Chrysler motor. It say in a barn for 15 years and after freeing up the stuck valves and getting a good tune up on it it's running great...I freed up all the bushes which was a pain in the 4th point of contact and now it welds like a dream!! I have my preferences for different brands for different things...I absolutely love millers mig welders and for the heavy stick work I've never had better than the old mans 1937 400 amp Lincoln...that is until I started running this old Hobart. It lays out a bead like butter. I absolutely love this old rig and I may build another mobile welding rig to throw it on.
        Now for my old guy question....has anybody ran one of these units before? Id like to find parts for it but I've zero luck except for brushes. I've tried to get info on it from the Hobart site but they say they can't give me much info other than Amps and duty cycle. Any first hand knowledge would be awesome because I'd just like to know!
        If it were mine.........................

I would check with my local industrial electric motor rewinding house....

many have serviced engine drive and dynamotor welders... and still have parts sources and cross references

for the Plymouth Flattie 6... there are millions of them out there.... still chugging along in industrial & marine applications....

believe they continued to make them into the late 1970's powering the export version M37 Dodge Powerwagon

M37 Manual PDF Download

http://imfmotorpool.com/M37_Manuals.html

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
        Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
        Dynasty 200DX
        Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
        Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

By looking at your bday, I was before you by a few years. Wonder how much has changed since then. <br />
          <br />
          2/75 here.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
            By looking at your bday, I was before you by a few years. Wonder how much has changed since then. <br />
            <br />
            2/75 here.
            you guys are still puppies...

06/52 here

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
            Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
            Dynasty 200DX
            Millermatic 200

Comment

RLTW mr.jones...75th stb RRC in the land that God forgot...a lot has change sinc I left a lot from what my old team has said. They tell me that I wouldn't make it as a bat boy now say they are kinder and gentler

Comment

H80n that is some good info I hadn't thought of that. I'm good with the engine parts I've been tinkering with old rides along time....well for me along time since I'm just a puppy hahaha...ill have to locate a windings place because in my country location in Kentucky there's not many around... But thank you for your wisdom!!

Comment

Mebbe one of these

https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylc...p=mss&ei=UTF-8

My Blue Stuff:
                  Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                  Dynasty 200DX
                  Millermatic 200

Comment

Haha thanks your gonna make me lazy if you do all my leg work

Comment

I have one of those old 300 amp Hobarts, and have an original manual for it with a wiring diagram-unfortunately I can't find it. When it turns up I'll let you know if you don't have one. Absolutely wonderful machine. You already know NAPA has pretty much any engine part you may need.

Comment

Oh sweet I'd pay for a copy of that manual if you find it...yes it is an awesome machine I just want to know more about it. Yeah we have a Napa I know them well they are one of the few chain stores that still have "books" to reference to. They even found a starter for my old 39 Buick

Comment

Originally posted by H80N View Post

you guys are still puppies...

06/52 here
                          1950 here.
                          www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Comment

I like old dudes because I learn a lot from them...but as I get older they start to disappear...my Pops always told me that got have ya 2 ears 2 eyes and one mouth so you should do twice as much watching and listening than talking....I've learned a lot from the older farmers,welders,and mechanics and it's mostly been useful knowledge....sometimes it got me in trouble like how to really tune up old cars and "make em' real hot". I do more trucking than I care to say and I've had more than one old Cummins that'd burn and inches of chrome off the stacks every month...I've decided that there is way to much regulation in trucking and am slowly phasing out of it and into more welding and fab work...who knows maybe I'll be considered and old welder one day and not an old man who welds!!

Comment

Found the manual. Check your private messages.

Comment

Working...
                              X