Clear All

• TOMWELDS
    replied
    Check out the lincoln 185. Comes standard with pulse. $1725. here

Leave a comment:

• Conrad_Turbo
    replied
    Originally posted by Laiky
    isn't the TA an inverter? That would explain why is more adjustable and might give better alluminum welding performance ( high freq) have you looked at the Dynasty 200DX?
    Yep the TA is an inverter based system while as the Miller is transformer based. The Dynasty looks to be a very nice machine, but it's $600-700 more than the TA185 or the Miller 180SD. That's out of my budget range.

Originally posted by fun4now
    it has also receved good reviews on the hobart site, the only issue seems to be availability of service for it witch will depend on youre location, check around and see if you can get local service is the best ideal. it will give better results on aluminum due to being an inverter with more tweekability (humm is that a word )

keep in mind that the syncrowave 180 will also do a fine job on aluminum and as a transformer based welder it is bullet proof, with manny years of great service behind the desine. bolth will do DC welding about the same.

as stated above you have a tuff choice to make i tryed to make that choice 1 time befor and ended up choosing the dynasty200DX I'm still trying to figure out how to pay for it
    Ya I have heard tons of good reviews of the TA185 as I've been doing research on a TIG machine in the $1700-1900USD price range for the past 3-4 months now.

As for service...ya...the TA185 isn't CSA approved so it isn't allowed for sale in Canada. I figure American houses are just as prone to burning down as Canadian so using that welder in Canada won't affect anything. Haha. So for myself to buy that welder I need to buy it in the US and bring it into Canada...so service is pretty much null and void in my case.

I just basically don't want to buy a machine that I will hit a limitation on, while I could have done the job with the other machine. Quality of welds from both the machines I bet are similar, but I just wanted to hear first hand if one had an edge over the other in certain cases...or if one had a shortfall compared to the other machine.

So no Dynasty for me, I don't want to get stuck on trying to pay it off. I've still got a lot of other equipment to buy.

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    TA185 is an inverter

it has also receved good reviews on the hobart site, the only issue seems to be availability of service for it witch will depend on youre location, check around and see if you can get local service is the best ideal. it will give better results on aluminum due to being an inverter with more tweekability (humm is that a word )

keep in mind that the syncrowave 180 will also do a fine job on aluminum and as a transformer based welder it is bullet proof, with manny years of great service behind the desine. bolth will do DC welding about the same.

as stated above you have a tuff choice to make i tryed to make that choice 1 time befor and ended up choosing the dynasty200DX I'm still trying to figure out how to pay for it

Leave a comment:

• Laiky
    replied
    isn't the TA an inverter? That would explain why is more adjustable and might give better alluminum welding performance ( high freq) have you looked at the Dynasty 200DX?

Leave a comment:

• Conrad_Turbo
    replied
    Originally posted by JHanko
    I have used both of these machines. The 180SD at work and the TA185 at home. They both produce excellent results with stainless but I get consistantly better results with the TA185 on aluminum. The portability of the TA185 is a big plus. I just bought it, so I have no experience with the service after the sale. You certainly have a tough decision to make. Good luck..

Jeff
    Thanks for the reply! So do you know why the TA in your case produced consistantly better results?

I won't be carrying the TIG machine around...but I want something small to fit on a cart that will move around the shop with ease. The compact size is definately a consideration...not as important as weld quality or welding "ease".

So how did the TA compare to the Miller with stainless steel? Mild steel even? Do you like the adjustability of the TA? Too much?

Sorry I'm asking so many questions, but dropping 2 grand on my first TIG machine...I want to make **** sure I get the best machine I can (that'll be easy to learn on as well as being versatile once I become experienced).

Leave a comment:

• JHanko
    replied
    I have used both of these machines. The 180SD at work and the TA185 at home. They both produce excellent results with stainless but I get consistantly better results with the TA185 on aluminum. The portability of the TA185 is a big plus. I just bought it, so I have no experience with the service after the sale. You certainly have a tough decision to make. Good luck..

Jeff

Leave a comment:

• Conrad_Turbo
    started a topic Syncrowave 180SD vs Thermal Arc 185TSW

Syncrowave 180SD vs Thermal Arc 185TSW

Hello I am new to the forum but not to welding or fabrication in general!

I am interested in buying a 220v TIG machine for my business as we are beginning to do work with aluminum and stainless steel. We build and design aftermarket car components, and we want the better quality TIG welds to go along with our laser cut and CNC parts.

I registered on this forum to hear what you guys think of the Syncrowave 180sd vs the Thermal Arc 185tsw. I am not brand loyal to either (I actually have a few Lincoln MIG welders in the shop) and I just want to hear from the Miller side about their TIG machine. They both reside in the same price range as well (within $100USD of each other).

I like both machines, I like the TA due to all the adjustable features, small size and being semi-lightweight. I like the Miller due to it being a transformer welder (never hear of many issues with transformers failing) and having such a large North American backing. The drawback with the TA is that it is built overseas and by the sounds of it warranty work will be tough to come by. With the Miller it seems the adjustability is lacking in regards compared to the TA. I am a fan of being able to tweak everything so keep that in mind, how is the Miller for adjustability?

I just want unbiased factual information about the Miller vs. the Thermal Arc and also what you personally think about either. I plan on buying either machine in the next month or so. I am really interested in hearing what you all have to say!
Working...
X