Millermatic 211 powering off and on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Millermatic 211 powering off and on

I just got a Millermatic 211. I've confirmed everything is connected properly. When I begin wleding, I can weld a few seconds (maybe 3 or 4 beads), then the machine shuts down, amd turns back on. I can then weld for a couple of seconds again.
    No problems just holding the trigger down amd letting wire feed. Only have a problem when actually welding.
    Welding steel with a 75/25 mix, using a regular outlet. Any help would be appreciated!!
    Also, for anyone else with this machine, for the grounding wire, the end that plugs into the machine, there are 4 tiny holes, but only 2 connectors coming out. Is that correct? Thanks!

Serial Number... PLS...???

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Not sure how that'll help. I'll have to run out and get it. It's MG111-something

Comment

Originally posted by lutgenwt2 View Post
        Not sure how that'll help. I'll have to run out and get it. It's MG111-something
        Can't do much without it....

there are MANY iterations of these machines...

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
        Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
        Dynasty 200DX
        Millermatic 200

Comment

It'll help because then he'll know exactly which machine you have. There are various changes, updates and whatever else that can change in a machine as the years go by for that model run.

Comment

Sounds as though the Tip Saver function is activating

From the manual: A. Drive Motor Protection

Drive motor protection circuit protects drive motor from overload. If drive motor becomes inoperative, cycle unit power off and back on again.
            B. Tip Saver/Short Circuit Protection
            The tip saver/short circuit protection extends contact tip life and protects internal components from damage. If contact tip is shorted to workpiece, the unit shuts down the welding output. To resume operation, release gun trigger to reset unit. If the contact tip has stuck to the workpiece, release gun trigger, turn off unit, and remove contact tip from workpiece. Check contact tip and replace if damaged. Turn on unit to continue operation.

Ed Conley
            http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
            MM252
            MM211
            Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
            TA185
            Miller 125c Plasma 120v
            O/A set
            SO 2020 Bender
            You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Turns out it's my outlet. Only putting out about 109, and drops to 50-60 when welding, causing the welder to shut down (automatically shuts down below 70 volts) Apologies H80N for not giving my S/N at first. I'm a little leary of giving that sort of thing out, not knowing who are.

Comment

Originally posted by lutgenwt2 View Post
                I just got a Millermatic 211. I've confirmed everything is connected properly. When I begin wleding, I can weld a few seconds (maybe 3 or 4 beads), then the machine shuts down, amd turns back on. I can then weld for a couple of seconds again.
                No problems just holding the trigger down amd letting wire feed. Only have a problem when actually welding.
                Welding steel with a 75/25 mix, using a regular outlet. Any help would be appreciated!!
                Also, for anyone else with this machine, for the grounding wire, the end that plugs into the machine, there are 4 tiny holes, but only 2 connectors coming out. Is that correct? Thanks!
                Just curious, what is a "regular outlet"?

Griff

Comment

Regular outlet? I good outlet can safely supply at least the rated current at between 110v-120v forever without tripping breakers or overheating the wiring. Most outlets receptacles are only speced for 15A but the circuits in newer homes are wired for 20A. A 20A receptacle has a horizontal addition to one of the prongs. However I have seen voltages higher than 120v, like 125V without any loads.

Comment

I was going to tell you to check your receptacle first then the welder cord. I've more than once had an intermittent problem from just too much moving things around and welding machines on wheeled carts, etc. The cord gets hung up on some other crap and pulls on the plug, just enough for things to go screwy.
                    Ryan
                    MILLERMATIC 350P w/Bernard BTB300 w/XR-A Python 25'
                    MULTIMATIC 200 w/Spoolmate 100 w/TIG w/Wireless pedal
                    SPECTRUM 375 X-Treme
                    (2) DIGITAL ELITE helmets
                    Weld-Mask goggles/hood
                    OPTREL e684 helmet
                    SMITH torches
                    HARRIS torches

Comment

Originally posted by BlackICE View Post
                      Regular outlet? I good outlet can safely supply at least the rated current at between 110v-120v forever without tripping breakers or overheating the wiring. Most outlets receptacles are only speced for 15A but the circuits in newer homes are wired for 20A. A 20A receptacle has a horizontal addition to one of the prongs. However I have seen voltages higher than 120v, like 125V without any loads.
                      Don't need a poor stab at trying to explain loads or house wiring. My question was what is a "regular" outlet.

Griff

Comment

Originally posted by griff01 View Post

Don't need a poor stab at trying to explain loads or house wiring. My question was what is a "regular" outlet.

Griff
                        lots of fiber

Ed Conley
                        http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
                        MM252
                        MM211
                        Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
                        TA185
                        Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                        O/A set
                        SO 2020 Bender
                        You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Originally posted by Broccoli1 View Post

lots of fiber
                          I like that!

Comment

Originally posted by griff01 View Post

Griff
                            By regular outlet I meant a 120v outlet (vice a 240 one). The Millermatic 211 is dual voltage, so it can be plugged into a "regular" (120v) outlet, or a 240 outlet.

Comment

Would not worry about anybody trying to bust your chops

Glad you solved your problem

My Blue Stuff:
                              Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                              Dynasty 200DX
                              Millermatic 200

Comment

Working...
                              X