new guy with some issues...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new guy with some issues...

What's up everybody, my name's Austin and I'm 23 from NJ. I've been Welding for a few years now but recently got into TIG Welding which I enjoy. I have a Miller Syncrowave 250 and I'm having a few issues with it, I think the high frequency isnt working as it should. On 1/16 aluminum running a few practice beads (100% argon, 3/32 E3 tungsten and aluminum filler rod) I have to scratch start it almost all the time, welders set to AC amps are around 50-65 and HF is on continuous. Any suggestions would be a big help! Thanks

Originally posted by blackedoutfx4 View Post
    What's up everybody, my name's Austin and I'm 23 from NJ. I've been Welding for a few years now but recently got into TIG Welding which I enjoy. I have a Miller Syncrowave 250 and I'm having a few issues with it, I think the high frequency isnt working as it should. On 1/16 aluminum running a few practice beads (100% argon, 3/32 E3 tungsten and aluminum filler rod) I have to scratch start it almost all the time, welders set to AC amps are around 50-65 and HF is on continuous. Any suggestions would be a big help! Thanks
    Sounds like you might want to clean and regap your HF spark gaps

plug in your serial number and download your manual here

https://www.millerwelds.com/support/manuals-and-parts

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Thanks, I've never heard of that before. I entered the SN on Miller's website and it came up with no results. Its KE657794. I'll have to do some more digging and see what I can find. As far as gapping and cleaning is that hard? When I take the side panel off everything is pretty easy to get to, I just don't want to mess anything up.

Comment

Thanks, I've never heard of that before. I entered the SN on Miller's website and it came up with no results. Its KE657794. I'll have to do some more digging and see what I can find. As far as gapping and cleaning is that hard? When I take the side panel off everything is pretty easy to get to, I just don't want to mess anything up.
        This manual should work

https://www.millerwelds.com/files/ow.../O353J_MIL.pdf

there have been many threads on this....

do a search on "spark gaps"

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
        Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
        Dynasty 200DX
        Millermatic 200

Comment

Okay I found the manual and I see how to set them, I'll give that a shot and keep the thread posted. Thanks again!

Comment

Sorry about making a new thread lol still getting used to the app

Comment

Okay I found the manual and I see how to set them, I'll give that a shot and keep the thread posted. Thanks again!
              Removing the covers & blowing it out with compressed air could help too....

lots of conductive dust collects in and around welders
              Last edited by H80N; 04-23-2016, 10:57 AM.

My Blue Stuff:
              Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
              Dynasty 200DX
              Millermatic 200

Comment

Going to guess and say that you don't have a remote of some sort. No remote and no high frequency

Comment

Yes check the point gap & make sure they are clean, then post back with results. Does the high frequency work when set to start & using dc-? Does it work when set to continuous after you scratch start it in ac? Using a foot pedal remote?

Welcome to the forum. I am also from NJ, in the Hackettstown area.
                  Last edited by MMW; 04-24-2016, 04:39 AM.
                  MM250
                  Trailblazer 250g
                  22a feeder
                  Lincoln ac/dc 225
                  Victor O/A
                  MM200 black face
                  Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
                  Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
                  Arco roto-phase model M
                  Vectrax 7x12 band saw
                  Miller spectrum 875
                  30a spoolgun w/wc-24
                  Syncrowave 250
                  RCCS-14

Comment

Originally posted by cruizer View Post
                    Going to guess and say that you don't have a remote of some sort. No remote and no high frequency
                    That is a really good point.... you do have a foot pedal or finger control hooked up..?? right..??

My Blue Stuff:
                    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                    Dynasty 200DX
                    Millermatic 200

Comment

yes this machine has both foot pedal and thumb control, I use the foot pedal more though and both output contact and amperage control are set to remote, also I was running the high frequency on continuous with the dial at 100 and it was on AC

Comment

yes this machine has both foot pedal and thumb control, I use the foot pedal more though and both output contact and amperage control are set to remote, also I was running the high frequency on continuous with the dial at 100 and it was on AC
                        Glad to hear that.....

any luck with the clean and regap...??

My Blue Stuff:
                        Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                        Dynasty 200DX
                        Millermatic 200

Comment

havent tried it yet lol, still trying to find my feeler gauge. might have to end up borrowing my buddies I checked them out though and they were pretty **** close together and looked fairly clean. according to the manual they should be gapped to .008

Comment

havent tried it yet lol, still trying to find my feeler gauge. might have to end up borrowing my buddies I checked them out though and they were pretty **** close together and looked fairly clean. according to the manual they should be gapped to .008
                            can be as much as .012

will give a bit stronger spark with a wider gap....

once set.... you should get a nice blue spark across both gaps

My Blue Stuff:
                            Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                            Dynasty 200DX
                            Millermatic 200

Comment

I work at an auto repair shop...3 guy shop. We have the owner who does the business end and wrecker driving. Myself who does most the welding and all the mechanical repair and then the paint/body guy. My old a/bp 330 would get bondo, paint and lots of other body shop related dust on the contacts...had to clean once or twice a year till I quit using it. Just dust and dirt would create a path and the hf would start acting up.
                              Last edited by Michael ray; 04-24-2016, 09:38 AM.
                              blue stock,
                              miller shopmaster 300, s22a feeder, s30 spool gun, hf251, arc pig
                              miller maxstar 150 STL
                              miller maxstar 210
                              miller a bp 330
                              non blue,
                              Lincoln weldanpower 150 1982 model
                              esab plasma
                              Hobart ironman 210, spool gun
                              victor oxy acy set
                              thousands of snap on tools, 3 large boxes and tons of automotive equip.

Comment

Working...
                              X