Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    Have you ran any 2% lanthanated to compare? I've never ran the E3, so I'm ignorant on how it runs.

Leave a comment:

• Olivero
    replied
    I run the Dynasty 200 DX.

I guess its just a preference thing.

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    Originally posted by Olivero View Post
    It balls up so fast I don't bother, I like it when its nice and round with a colour tint, thats when I find it welding the best. I will sometimes pick up a sharp one and use it and it works fine, but eventually develops a ball on the tip, never been a problem so I just keep it that way.

I also find the most recommendations are to keep it balled, Never really noticed a major difference in performance as you would when welding stainless for example, a balled tip in stainless is horrible. for aluminum, balled works, sharp works, straight out of the pack with a flat end works. But if you try to sharpen a balled electrode it can split, especially if its been through 140 + amps for a while, most likely just splits or breaks so I just go the safe route and leave it balled.
    I like mine taper ground with the tip lightly blunted.... it works very well for 2% Lanth on a Dynasty advanced inverter..

what type of machine are you running..??
    Last edited by H80N; 04-25-2016, 09:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Olivero
    replied
    It balls up so fast I don't bother, I like it when its nice and round with a colour tint, thats when I find it welding the best. I will sometimes pick up a sharp one and use it and it works fine, but eventually develops a ball on the tip, never been a problem so I just keep it that way.

I also find the most recommendations are to keep it balled, Never really noticed a major difference in performance as you would when welding stainless for example, a balled tip in stainless is horrible. for aluminum, balled works, sharp works, straight out of the pack with a flat end works. But if you try to sharpen a balled electrode it can split, especially if its been through 140 + amps for a while, most likely just splits or breaks so I just go the safe route and leave it balled.

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    Originally posted by Olivero View Post
    E3 is an electrode that is an alloy of multiple metals used in the other types of electrodes. I use E3's and they are great, you can use them for AC and DC and any metal. Just buy a pack and take 2 out for aluminum, sharpen the rest and use them for steel, stainless, copper, brass, etc. Its a lot easier to just keep one pack on the shelf. They also last longer than thoriated according to their website.
    I sharpen my tungstens for Aluminum too.... Don't you..??... if not.. why not..??

Leave a comment:

• Olivero
    replied
    E3 is an electrode that is an alloy of multiple metals used in the other types of electrodes. I use E3's and they are great, you can use them for AC and DC and any metal. Just buy a pack and take 2 out for aluminum, sharpen the rest and use them for steel, stainless, copper, brass, etc. Its a lot easier to just keep one pack on the shelf. They also last longer than thoriated according to their website.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    ...it's got a freakin laser beam attached to its head...

Leave a comment:

• USMCPOP
    replied
    It cuts, it welds ...

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    By then we'll all be using laser beams from a tiny, hand held doofloppy and be welding aluminum to cast iron if we feel like it.

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    Originally posted by shovelon View Post
    That is a good thread on it

I like Blue 2% Lanth.... but am still using up a drawer full of Red 2% Thoriated.... for DC....

(will run out by 2045....I will probably run out sooner..)
    Last edited by H80N; 04-19-2016, 12:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• shovelon
    replied
    Here is an earlier discussion.

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...53-e3-tungsten

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    Originally posted by niftyweld View Post
    Welding tungsten is so much fun lately.

So something about 2% thoriated has radiation, but many places there's only a little effect only. What is this new E3 found it at: (https://www.weldingcity.com/tig-tung...-tungsten.html), I've been playing with tungsten to have fun, it's like being creative artwork on spot. Anyways, does it do the same job as the 2%Thoriated or is it the same as the pure tungsten outcome?
    These should help

http://www.diamondground.com/tungste...ted-info-msds/

Leave a comment:

• niftyweld
    started a topic What is E3 Tungsten?

What is E3 Tungsten?

Welding tungsten is so much fun lately.

So something about 2% thoriated has radiation, but many places there's only a little effect only. What is this new E3 found it at: (https://www.weldingcity.com/tig-tung...-tungsten.html), I've been playing with tungsten to have fun, it's like being creative artwork on spot. Anyways, does it do the same job as the 2%Thoriated or is it the same as the pure tungsten outcome?
Working...
X