Forney electric brazing machine???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forney electric brazing machine???

A friend of mine came by the shop today and his father in law had given him an old welder, we think....I'll get pics tomorrow. It's labled as Forney, it uses leads which look like regular stick electrode holder lead and ground clamp...uses the same leads for the battery charger. Yep.6 volt and 12 volt power tap with ground tap. He mentioned his father in law complaining about how it was tough to use the electrode holder for clamping on a battery terminal. Then it has about 15-20 other taps for the soldering side and brazing side...I've never seen anything like it but it is cool. Is it a welder or did they have an electronic way to braze or solder in the time period???
    I know about electronic soldering irons. This is nothing like that. I was curious if early electric welding was called soldering or brazing???
    it's probably made in the 50s or 60s I guess.
    blue stock,
    miller shopmaster 300, s22a feeder, s30 spool gun, hf251, arc pig
    miller maxstar 150 STL
    miller maxstar 210
    miller a bp 330
    non blue,
    Lincoln weldanpower 150 1982 model
    esab plasma
    Hobart ironman 210, spool gun
    victor oxy acy set
    thousands of snap on tools, 3 large boxes and tons of automotive equip.

Found a pic of one just like it on the web..just curious about electric brazing...I may be completely ignorant as I'm still kinda young. I like learning about the older stuff...the older stuff seems to always run super reliable with proper maintenance...new stuff runs till it quits then gets replaced
    Here is a good used Forney stick arc welder.It is 230 volt and also has a built in battery charger.It is a C5 model.The cable leads are 11' long.
    blue stock,
    miller maxstar 150 STL
    miller maxstar 210
    miller a bp 330
    non blue,
    esab plasma
    victor oxy acy set

Comment

They would have been brazing with a carbon arc torch. It uses 2 carbon electrodes and pulls an arc between them to generate heat. like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVKZZN_W5cU

Watch a couple of the videos they will give you an idea of how it works.---Meltedmetal
      ---Meltedmetal

Comment

I like it...I'm going to let the new wear off for him then try to buy it or trade for it. I doubt I'll ever really need it but I do like it.
        blue stock,
        miller maxstar 150 STL
        miller maxstar 210
        miller a bp 330
        non blue,
        esab plasma
        victor oxy acy set

Comment

Working...
        X