Syncrowave water cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Syncrowave water cooler

I have a Miller Syncrowave 210 both at work and at my home shop. At work, my boss just ordered a Coolmate 1.3 and a Speedway Series torch. I was wondering if its possible to add a 110v plug on the back of the machine somehow? beings that 220v electricity is 2 legs of 110 ran together?? Unfortunately the Syncro210 wasnt geared towards a water cooler set up and buying a new machine isnt going to happen...

So while this happens at work, I would like to add a cooler to my machine at home as I do quite a bit of welding and fabricating, often on the upper end of my amperage range. I have read around and found the build your own cooler articles and such, but was wondering how the cheaper ($400-$500) coolers are quality wise? Reason I ask about that is if I cannot add a 110 volt outlet to my machine, I saw that Arc Zone has a cheaper cooler with an availalbe 220v motor option so I could then add a 220 outlet on the back of the machine to run the cooler without having two cords following me around the shop.

Thanks in advance!!

You could always build your own cooler... there is not much to it ...

Pretty easy... as long you are aware of the 60psi gotcha on the PROCON pump you buy....

here is a thread on it....

http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...ad.php?t=39374

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

No on the auxillary , what your saying is completely illegal and a fire hazard

Comment

One advantge to building your own cooler is that you can use an ultra reliable... bullet proof PROCON vane pump...

rather than some probably oddball offshore built pump in one of those "Bargain" coolers...

probably cost less and last longer too... with easy parts availability....

Used PROCON carbonator pumps weth 1/3 Hp motor go for around $50 U.S.
        Last edited by H80N; 04-11-2016, 08:40 PM.

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
        Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
        Dynasty 200DX
        Millermatic 200

Comment

H80N thanks for the insight, I have considered building my own cooler. I cant seem to find one of these $50 pump and motor deals yet though! I missed one the other day for $100. Do you happen to know of anything for sale at the moment?

I dont understand why the auxilary thing is completely illegal? At home its in my own shop, with no OSHA or anything else of the sort. I have 50 amp circuits for my welders and the machine only draws about 12 amps when ran off of 220V power. Its not like my machines stay plugged in or anything like that.

Comment

Check... junk stores... auctions... scrap yards...flea markets.. C/L

they are common in food service for beer cooler and soda fountain carbonation

so failed bar and restaurant auctions are fertile ground... they go out of business ALL the time... it is a high risk buiness... check AuctionZip for your area

http://www.auctionzip.com/

also restaurant equip dealers... may have old used ones out back... that work fine but are not clean and nice enough for a new carbonator installation

unfortunately Ebay prices are usually crazy high... plus shipping

But heck.. even at $100 a decent procon pump and motor are a good investment...
            Last edited by H80N; 04-12-2016, 12:33 PM.

My Blue Stuff:
            Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
            Dynasty 200DX
            Millermatic 200

Comment

The auxiliary would be illegal because you would have to use the ground wire to carry current(3 wire installation) which is illegal. I suppose you could change your whole supply back to the supply panel for 4 wire and install a separate fuse/breaker to protect the 120v outlet but I would guess the more cost effective way is to install a 120v outlet beside the welder outlet.
              ---Meltedmetal

Comment

Originally posted by Meltedmetal View Post
                The auxiliary would be illegal because you would have to use the ground wire to carry current(3 wire installation) which is illegal. I suppose you could change your whole supply back to the supply panel for 4 wire and install a separate fuse/breaker to protect the 120v outlet but I would guess the more cost effective way is to install a 120v outlet beside the welder outlet.
                A 120 V outlet can be installed with the use of an isolation transformer. A 220 V to 120V isolation transformer could be used with one of the outlet wires is connected to ground and becomes a neutral. In this manner no current is carried back to ground due to the isolation capability. This is a very common wiring configuration and is legal if done correctly.

I can't figure out how to post a photo here but there are numerous examples on Google Images.

Miller Syncrowave 200
                Milermatic 252
                Lincoln AC/DC "Tombstone"

Comment

Originally posted by Synchroman View Post

A 120 V outlet can be installed with the use of an isolation transformer. A 220 V to 120V isolation transformer could be used with one of the outlet wires is connected to ground and becomes a neutral. In this manner no current is carried back to ground due to the isolation capability. This is a very common wiring configuration and is legal if done correctly.

I can't figure out how to post a photo here but there are numerous examples on Google Images.

Yes, I think you are right but it is likely more complicated and expensive than an extension cord for the cooler but if he really hates extension cords that is a way to do it.---Meltedmetal
                  ---Meltedmetal

Comment

I'm gonna hold out for Tesla's wireless electricity.

Comment

Working...
                    X