advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advice

Need candid opinion. I've a new born am a healthy 56 and need to return to the permanent work force. I've in the past had 3 semesters of welding training.I'm looking for a stick tig combo welder to familiarise myself and believe will pass 4g +6g certification. Is it realistic to believe that I can get a job? Any advice is appreciated.

Sure you can. But depending on your part of the country it may only be 12 bucks an hour. 25 welders just got laid off where I work. The shale gas industry died real quick...Bob
    Bob Wright

Comment

Best to check the local want ads, Craigslist, etc, etc. This will give you an idea of some jobs that may be out there in your area. If you only find one or two ads then maybe your area is not so good. Some parts of the country are better than others. You can also take a ride to your lws & ask them about companies they service & who is busy vs. who is not.

Edit your post to give your location.
      MM250
      Trailblazer 250g
      22a feeder
      Lincoln ac/dc 225
      Victor O/A
      MM200 black face
      Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
      Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
      Arco roto-phase model M
      Vectrax 7x12 band saw
      Miller spectrum 875
      30a spoolgun w/wc-24
      Syncrowave 250
      RCCS-14

Comment

CANDID OPINION:

Depends on your location, but there is always work for welders who want to work. Though you might not like the pay available which Bob said. I just yesterday sat down to discuss taking a job for someone else doing fabrication in the shop and running the job sites (marine construction) for someone I know locally (western NY) I have held numerous welding certifications and have a Merchant Mariner Master licence (boat captain), college education and have been around the block a few times. I've been a project construction manager & facilities manager for big commercial real estate, built big money prototype machinery for industry and made a lot more money than currently. Basically I would be running his crews and overseeing the shop doing most of the fab work, while he tries to concentrate on the business end getting more work lined up. I'll be lucky if I can get $20/hr, although I would also try and drum up fab work to keep the shop busy and get a percentage so it "could" be beneficial for me in the long run as we and shop guys would benefit with more work and profit/bonuses for everyone.

I was making more than $20/hr just being a shop guy with 5 years under the hood welding 20 years ago...Welcome to the new American dream.

If you a union guy you're going to get more per hour, LOTS more on prevailing wage jobs, but good luck with that. You also get laid off routinely and have to start out as an apprentice's helper basically working for free before you can even get into the apprenticeship which still pays peanuts for 4 years. Back in the late 90's I finally had some of the local's call me in and offer $6/hr. I politely told them to pound salt, I'm already making $16/hr, married, have a mortgage to pay and I can get more than $6 flipping burgers.

Cheap oil being sold at a loss by the arabs is not helping any of us. North Dakota is hurting. Ship & rig building isn't really doing much better. Big manufacturing, eh.

BUT you got to do what you got to do, and if you like what your're doing it's not really a job anyway.

If you can weld you will never starve, but you might not be buying a new truck either, at least not currently.
        Ryan
        MILLERMATIC 350P w/Bernard BTB300 w/XR-A Python 25'
        MULTIMATIC 200 w/Spoolmate 100 w/TIG w/Wireless pedal
        SPECTRUM 375 X-Treme
        (2) DIGITAL ELITE helmets
        Weld-Mask goggles/hood
        OPTREL e684 helmet
        SMITH torches
        HARRIS torches

Comment

Shipyards around here are always looking to hire, although I would never work at one.
          2- XMT's 350 cc/cv
          1- Blue star 185
          1- BOBCAT 250
          1- TRAILBLAZER 302
          1- MILLER DVI
          2- PASSPORT PLUS
          1- DYNASTY 200 DX
          1- DYNASTY 280 DX
          1- MAXSTAR 150 STL
          1- HF-251 BOX
          1- S-74D
          1- S-75DXA
          2- 12-RC SUITCASES
          1- 8-VS SUITCASE
          2- 30 A SPOOLGUNS

Comment

Originally posted by rebus1150 View Post
            Need candid opinion. I've a new born am a healthy 56 and need to return to the permanent work force. I've in the past had 3 semesters of welding training.I'm looking for a stick tig combo welder to familiarise myself and believe will pass 4g +6g certification. Is it realistic to believe that I can get a job? Any advice is appreciated.
            Hard to find someone to help you when no one knows your location.

Griff

Comment

Originally posted by griff01 View Post

Hard to find someone to help you when no one knows your location.

Griff
              Yes. What pacific island do you live on?
              Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
              3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
              Miller Dynasty200DX
              ThermalArc 400 GTSW
              MillerMatic350P
              MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
              MKCobraMig260
              Lincoln SP-170T
              Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
              Hypertherm 1250
              Hypertherm 800
              PlasmaCam CNC cutter
              Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
              SiberHegner CNC Mill
              2 ea. Bridgeport
              LeBlond 15" Lathe
              Haberle 18" Cold Saw
              Doringer 14" Cold Saw
              6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

Comment

Originally posted by shovelon View Post

Yes. What pacific island do you live on?
                If you can read in my profile you will see that I live in (near) Ardmore Oklahoma, not in the Pacific Ocean.

Griff

Comment

Sorry to say but in the welding industry age discrimination is running rampant.
                  America, Clinging to our Guns and Religon since 1776.

Comment

It depends on your area. I came right out of welding school and hired on at my present job. I was 54 years old at that time! I work at a plant that builds petroleum tankers. Most of our work is aluminum mig and tig. The company has no problems with older people, because we are coming to work on time, and being there every day. The younger workers are partying and calling in with hangovers, or whatever! My advice is to go for it!

Comment

Originally posted by griff01 View Post

If you can read in my profile you will see that I live in (near) Ardmore Oklahoma, not in the Pacific Ocean.

Griff
                      Ok, I just don't know how to get to the profile yet. Don't know why they prohibit from listing below our avatar.
                      Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
                      3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
                      Miller Dynasty200DX
                      ThermalArc 400 GTSW
                      MillerMatic350P
                      MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
                      MKCobraMig260
                      Lincoln SP-170T
                      Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
                      Hypertherm 1250
                      Hypertherm 800
                      PlasmaCam CNC cutter
                      Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
                      SiberHegner CNC Mill
                      2 ea. Bridgeport
                      LeBlond 15" Lathe
                      Haberle 18" Cold Saw
                      Doringer 14" Cold Saw
                      6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

Comment

Originally posted by shovelon View Post

Ok, I just don't know how to get to the profile yet. Don't know why they prohibit from listing below our avatar.
                        Yeah, ones location used to be shown by the avatar/user name but I guess that went away with the new, improved site. I thought is was a good feature.
                        If someone did not want their exact location used they could just post a general area.

Griff

Comment

Working...
                        X