Which oil to use in an air cooled engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kpack View Post
    Went to Wally World today and got the t6 rotella it's 5w-40 not 15-40 . It was 23 and change for a gallon.
    I put the 5w 40 T6 Rotella in my Ranger yesterday & it is running nice & smooth with plenty of power !!!!!!!

Norm
    www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Comment

I was looking at a jug of Rotella T6 synthetic 5w-40 yesterday and was surprised to see an SM rating on it along with the diesel ratings. I had heard that it was the step to SM that took out the zinc, so it made me wonder if it is adequate for air cooled engines. Also heard that the zinc limits only apply to viscosities 10w-30 and below, which may explain why the T6 is still OK. Can anyone shed any light on this? I have been using QS Defy, but would switch to a synthetic for better protection. And, is a 5w-40 synthetic ok in an Onan in 90-100 degr F temps? All thoughts appreciated.

Comment

Sm rating doesn't mean much, maybe a drop like 200 parts per million drop. Still has lots of zinc and Phousphous

Comment

Thanks, Cruizer! REALLY appreciate your knowledge and willingness to share it with all of us!

Comment

What's the SM mean?

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
              What's the SM mean?
              Cruizer , said in the above post - SM has a Drop of 200 parts per million drop in the Zinc levels.

Norm

Comment

API Engine Oil Service Category Charts

SM Introduced on 30 November 2004 Category SM oils are designed to provide improved oxidation resistance, improved deposit protection, better wear protection, and better low-temperature performance over the life of the oil. Some SM oils may also meet the latest ILSAC specification and/or qualify as Energy Conserving. They may be used where API Service Category SJ and SL earlier categories are recommended.

http://www.oilspecifications.org/api_eolcs.php

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
                Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                Dynasty 200DX
                Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
                Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

API CHART

http://www.api.org/~/media/files/oil...0210.pdf?la=en

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
                  Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                  Dynasty 200DX
                  Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
                  Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

I was thinking it was an abbreviation for something. Probably why a Google search just brought up a bunch more two letter tags without an associated two word definition. You guys are super smart. I have no idea where that would fall into API terms.

Comment

Ok, for an Onan generator in an RV, the Onan shop sells onamax 15w-40 for my unit. The bottle doesn't say diddly squat about zinc and all that other stuff you guys are talking about. But it has a bunch of those letter designators...CJ-4, CI-4 plus, CI-4, CH-4, CG-4, CF-4, CF/SL<br />
                      <br />
                      Any of that good? I also got some rotella T triple protection...but the bottle on that doesn't say anything about the good stuff and it has a bunch of letters too. <br />
                      <br />
                      I went looking for the rotella T6 in a 15w-40 but my local parts source doesn't carry it and isn't sure if it's available. <br />
                      <br />
                      My RV is less than a year old and this is my genset first oil change at 66 hours. What say you gents?

Comment

Ok, for an Onan generator in an RV, the Onan shop sells onamax 15w-40 for my unit. The bottle doesn't say diddly squat about zinc and all that other stuff you guys are talking about. But it has a bunch of those letter designators...CJ-4, CI-4 plus, CI-4, CH-4, CG-4, CF-4, CF/SL<br />
                        <br />
                        Any of that good? I also got some rotella T triple protection...but the bottle on that doesn't say anything about the good stuff and it has a bunch of letters too. <br />
                        <br />
                        I went looking for the rotella T6 in a 15w-40 but my local parts source doesn't carry it and isn't sure if it's available. <br />
                        <br />
                        My RV is less than a year old and this is my genset first oil change at 66 hours. What say you gents?
                        Ryan - Going by what H80N posted above. From what I can gather the CJ-4 & SM are what we are looking for.
                        Click on the the links & read them - Good info. A little tedious ,but interesting .I bought the Rotella T6 - 5w - 40 locally here. It's the synthetic version, which is all I've ever used in all my machines. ( Welder, Compressor, & Truck. )

Norm
                        Last edited by nfinch86; 03-28-2016, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Thanks Norm. The Onan and rotella I got are both CJ-4. I haven't had the time to sit and read through the technical stuff on that link. You know how it goes, sometimes more in a day than hours to do it.

Comment

What model is your onan and is it still under warranty ?

Comment

Thanks Norm. The Onan and rotella I got are both CJ-4. I haven't had the time to sit and read through the technical stuff on that link. You know how it goes, sometimes more in a day than hours to do it.
                              I hear ya, Ryan.
                              But if you have the time, it's a good but tedious read.......... lol.

Good info.
                              If you can find the Rotella T6, which is the synthetic form, it has All the Good stuff, as far as I can figure.......... LOL.

Maybe try Wal-Mart, here in Canada, we have a place called Canadian Tire which has everything from soup to nuts...........lol.

Norm

Comment

It's a KY model 4kw Onan. It is under warranty still. <br />
                                <br />
                                ...soup to nuts eh? But do they have tires?

Comment

Working...
                                X