Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Miller 250DX power issue

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Miller 250DX power issue

    I bought this thing used and just now had time to use it. I wanna say it's a mid 2000 year model. I used it a couple times playing around welding SS with it and it did fine.

    Next day I did the same thing but had a couple phone calls come in and let it idle for about an hour. I came back into the shop to find it shut off but looking further, my circuit breaker had tripped. While looking in the panel I smelled something so I took the cover off and found the wires to the welder breaker hot and the breaker along with the service breaker and feed wires as well.

    After a while I turned my welder back on and checked my panel wires. The wires from the welder plug in to the breaker are vibrating and heating up with the welder just running no load.

    What could be my issue with this?

  • #2
    I forgot to say that I have a 100A service to my shop and a 60A breaker for the welder. We welded aluminum with my buddy's older Miller 250 tig welder with no power feed issues and my welder did fine for two days until this started

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Zapperman View Post
      I bought this thing used and just now had time to use it. I wanna say it's a mid 2000 year model. I used it a couple times playing around welding SS with it and it did fine.

      Next day I did the same thing but had a couple phone calls come in and let it idle for about an hour. I came back into the shop to find it shut off but looking further, my circuit breaker had tripped. While looking in the panel I smelled something so I took the cover off and found the wires to the welder breaker hot and the breaker along with the service breaker and feed wires as well.

      After a while I turned my welder back on and checked my panel wires. The wires from the welder plug in to the breaker are vibrating and heating up with the welder just running no load.

      What could be my issue with this?
      You may have a Power Factor correction kit (capacitors) installed. It actually pulls more amps at idle than in use.

      Griff

      Comment


      • #4
        Serial Number..??? PLS....
        .

        *******************************************
        The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

        “The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

        Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

        My Blue Stuff:
        Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
        Dynasty 200DX
        Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
        Millermatic 200

        TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by griff01 View Post

          You may have a Power Factor correction kit (capacitors) installed. It actually pulls more amps at idle than in use.

          Griff
          Yes I believe it does have this. Looks like 4 beer can sized capacitors inside the unit.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by h80n View Post
            serial number..??? Pls....
            lc530538

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Zapperman View Post

              lc530538
              TNX...

              Built in the second half of 2003

              Here is the link to download the correct manual version

              https://www.millerwelds.com/files/ow.../O359N_MIL.pdf

              .

              *******************************************
              The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

              “The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

              Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

              My Blue Stuff:
              Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
              Dynasty 200DX
              Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
              Millermatic 200

              TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by H80N View Post

                TNX...

                Built in the second half of 2003

                Here is the link to download the correct manual version

                https://www.millerwelds.com/files/ow.../O359N_MIL.pdf

                Thanks but I already have the manual and I didn't see my issue in the trouble shooting section

                Comment


                • #9
                  parent board and IGBTS is likely smoked

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Zapperman View Post

                    Yes I believe it does have this. Looks like 4 beer can sized capacitors inside the unit.
                    Yep. That's the PF correction kit.
                    I see also that Cruizer has more info for you.

                    Griff

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by griff01 View Post

                      Yep. That's the PF correction kit.
                      I see also that Cruizer has more info for you.

                      Griff
                      This was the issue. At idle it was drawing 60A. Unplugged them and it's drawing around a couple amps at idle.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Zapperman View Post

                        This was the issue. At idle it was drawing 60A. Unplugged them and it's drawing around a couple amps at idle.
                        Thanks for the feedback. Glad you got it figured out!
                        And just so you know, these aren't mentioned in the manual for the machine. The wiring diagram comes as a separate sheet with the capacitor kit.

                        Griff
                        Last edited by griff01; 03-23-2016, 06:11 PM. Reason: add info

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          What's the purpose of the power factor doofloppy?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                            What's the purpose of the power factor doofloppy?
                            It makes the power wattmeter think it is drawing less power under load

                            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_factor

                            .

                            *******************************************
                            The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

                            “The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

                            Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

                            My Blue Stuff:
                            Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                            Dynasty 200DX
                            Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
                            Millermatic 200

                            TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                              What's the purpose of the power factor doofloppy?
                              Not any benefit for a home or small shop. In a large shop (really large) the power companies penalize them on their electricity bill if their PowerFactor gets out of whack. If I remember correctly, they want the PF just below "1". If it gets to or over 1 they are penalized.
                              The PF (capacitor kit) helps to alleviate this.

                              Griff

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X