Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to welding

Hello,

I just got a millermatic 211, this is the first welder I've ever owned and have no previous welding experience. So far I love it! Super easy to work with, I'm finding everything to be fairly intuitive. Did a few practice welds and wouldn't mind to get some feedback from you experienced welders :-)

Cheers!
    Attached Files

Originally posted by LogoFreak View Post
    Hello,

I just got a millermatic 211, this is the first welder I've ever owned and have no previous welding experience. So far I love it! Super easy to work with, I'm finding everything to be fairly intuitive. Did a few practice welds and wouldn't mind to get some feedback from you experienced welders :-)

Cheers!
    There are a lot of useful FREE educational resources here

https://www.millerwelds.com/resource...ding-resources

Welcome aboard...

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

great, its not fun but will save you money over the years if you are a tinker, hope you have many years your well look a lot better than mine when I started, heck even now, have fun, don't forget to share you projects, Joe

Comment

I'm a believer in prep. You don't want to be welding over mill scale, slag, pant, rust, and such. A 4-1/2" angle grinder and a box of 60-grit flap wheels will clean up most stuff and leave an almost polished look.
        Also, get some scrap to weld test coupons, then test the welds in a press if you have one, or put it in a vise and bend / beat the metal and then inspect the welds for cracking or other failures.
        Practice welding the the various weld positions: Flat (1F/1G), Horizontal (2F/2G), Vertical (3F/3G), Over Head (4F/4G). If your doing pipe, there is a 45-degree position (6G) that sort of combines all the positions.
        Experiment with your settings and torch angles. With shielded mig you can weld with either a push or drag travel. The push travel is the norm, but the drag will have slightly better penetration.

Comment

Thanks for all the tips! I got a bunch of scrap metal and have been doing some practicing. I do have a 12 ton press at home and already thought of testing my welds with it :-) Am I correct to assume that learning to weld with thin metals will teach me more about heat control and such? Mistakes will be more apparent than with welding let's say 1/4in plate?

My current project is putting back together a boat trailer, there's not much welding as it's mostly bolted back together but I do have a few brackets to weld to it.

Comment

Working...
          X