Grey band Tungsten

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grey band Tungsten

I just ordered a Dynasty 210dx. I'm wanting to learn how to weld aluminum. Is grey band tungsten the best to use? Do you have to ball it up or have it at a point? Thanks

My opinion, 2% lanthanated (blue) is the best all around tungsten and is an excellent choice for aluminum, especially when using an inverter.

I have to admit that I've never used the gray, which I believe is 2% cerated...someone will surely correct me if I'm wrong.

I sharpen my tungsten when I'm welding aluminum. Not as tapered of a point or as pin point sharp. Having that "blunt" sharpened tip helps with tacking things up, then I just let it ball however it ends up balling...all depending on what the machine is set on of course.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Your machine should come with a laminated chart that will include this information, congratulations on the Dynasty purchase.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tungsten chart.jpg
Views:	5295
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	565875
      Richard
      West coast of Florida

Comment

I have found 2% blue(lanthanated) to be better than ceriated on both AC and DC for my Dynastys. If you can't find 2% blue, then 2% red(thoriated) will do the trick until you do find the best for alum. 2% red is really the best for DC work. I get mine from USAweld.com .
        Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
        3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
        Miller Dynasty200DX
        ThermalArc 400 GTSW
        MillerMatic350P
        MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
        MKCobraMig260
        Lincoln SP-170T
        Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
        Hypertherm 1250
        Hypertherm 800
        PlasmaCam CNC cutter
        Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
        SiberHegner CNC Mill
        2 ea. Bridgeport
        LeBlond 15" Lathe
        Haberle 18" Cold Saw
        Doringer 14" Cold Saw
        6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

Comment

When I get my dynasty 210dx I'll get some blue band. Anyone got any pointers on using the 210dx on aluminum? I'm sure it comes with some sort of manual. It better for the price. Thanks for everyone's replies.

Comment

Originally posted by BOBBYLEE View Post
            When I get my dynasty 210dx I'll get some blue band. Anyone got any pointers on using the 210dx on aluminum? I'm sure it comes with some sort of manual. It better for the price. Thanks for everyone's replies.
            If you go up one level in this forum to the main page "Welding Discussions" at the top is a sticky thread on the Dynasty setup process, also with your machine will of course be the manual and a laminated chart similar to the one I have posted.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	AC Waveshape.jpg
Views:	3107
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	565906
            Richard
            West coast of Florida

Comment

Thanks. I started reading that thread yesterday. Looking forward to using the Dynasty!!!

Comment

Working...
              X