Filler rod and tungsten recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filler rod and tungsten recommendations

I would like recommendations for joining 304 SS 1.25" OD shaft and carbon steel DOM tubing of 1.25" ID. This tubing is a slip fit sleeve 2" long and is welded at both ends. A steel wheel hub is welded to the tubing which spreads the load from the hub over a longer length of the SS shaft. The load that is on the weldment is torsional as well as vertical and operates at a slow 32 RPM's. Currently using ER308L filler with great looking results but beauty is not my primary goal. I would also be interested in any recommendations on tungsten selections too.

Thanks,
    Last edited by CaptJeff; 01-26-2016, 04:43 PM.

Here is the weldment.

Comment

309 filler, any tungsten you got, nice and sharp.
      Ryan
      MILLERMATIC 350P w/Bernard BTB300 w/XR-A Python 25'
      MULTIMATIC 200 w/Spoolmate 100 w/TIG w/Wireless pedal
      SPECTRUM 375 X-Treme
      (2) DIGITAL ELITE helmets
      Weld-Mask goggles/hood
      OPTREL e684 helmet
      SMITH torches
      HARRIS torches

Comment

Originally posted by xryan View Post
        309 filler, any tungsten you got, nice and sharp.
        +1 on the 309,,,, it is the industry standard for welding carbon to stainless

But I would favor 2% Lanthanated for the Tungsten... just my preference.... on transformer welders 2% Thoriated is still a viable choice....

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
        Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
        Dynasty 200DX
        Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
        Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

309L for sure. Gas lense and 2% lanth tungsten is my vote too. Although I still use thoriated on stainless and carbon steel if I have to swap out sizes or sharpen it, but that's only because I still have a couple packs of the stuff and want to go through it. Otherwise, I use 2% lanth for everything, transformer and inverter machine alike.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
            309L for sure. Gas lense and 2% lanth tungsten is my vote too. Although I still use thoriated on stainless and carbon steel if I have to swap out sizes or sharpen it, but that's only because I still have a couple packs of the stuff and want to go through it. Otherwise, I use 2% lanth for everything, transformer and inverter machine alike.
            Nice thing about Lanthanated is you can use it for everything... but..

I still have drawer half full of THORIATED... and may use it up before I am too old... but I do use it for steel ....
            (not for Aluminum. on my inverters. it grows spikes ..... spits and splits on AC..).

Somebody will scream about the Radioactivity problem inherent with Thoriated.... the threat is overblown. PLS read this

http://www.diamondground.com/thoriat...-discontinued/

If you really want to learn the details of Tungsten Electrode selection and prep..... the DG Tung Guidebook will tell you more than you wanted to know..

http://www.diamondground.com/TungstenGuidebook2013.pdf

Last edited by H80N; 01-27-2016, 06:00 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
            Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
            Dynasty 200DX
            Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
            Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Thanks for the input everyone. I'll take your recommendation and give it a try.

Comment

Working...
              X