Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm looking for any information for wiring a Miller Spectrum Lynx plasma.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm looking for any information for wiring a Miller Spectrum Lynx plasma.

I'm looking for any information for wiring a Miller Spectrum Lynx plasma. I bought one that doesn't have the connector on the cord. I see where the 240 volt lines White & Black and the green ground goes but I'm confused about the red wire that goes to the on/off switch and the orange wire to the control bundle #193542. Anybody know what voltages they are? 12 volt or 110 volt?
    Thanks

Originally posted by Scottemo View Post
    I'm looking for any information for wiring a Miller Spectrum Lynx plasma. I bought one that doesn't have the connector on the cord. I see where the 240 volt lines White & Black and the green ground goes but I'm confused about the red wire that goes to the on/off switch and the orange wire to the control bundle #193542. Anybody know what voltages they are? 12 volt or 110 volt?
    Thanks
    There were several versions...

so you need to plug in your serial number here

https://www.millerwelds.com/support/manuals-and-parts

to download the correct version of the manual

the schematics show where the wires go... but not the voltages

Cruizer had mentioned 12v in a much earlier post... but gave no specifics... maybe he could expand and clarify..??

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...hout-generator

it was designed to run off of a Bobcat 225NT.... maybe if you study the schematic for a 1998-99 vintage 225NT...??

Last edited by H80N; 01-17-2016, 01:16 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Thanks H80N,
      I have already downloaded the manuals but they have no information about the wiring.
      ​I just need to find what voltage the red and orange wires use.

Comment

The reason you're having trouble finding information is because the Spectrum Lynx was only ever designed to be powered off of an engine driven Bobcat 225 NT or a Bobcat 225D plus with the field conversion kit. Because of the design of the machine we can't recommend that you power this unit off of a wall outlet.

Comment

Originally posted by Miller Plasma View Post
          The reason you're having trouble finding information is because the Spectrum Lynx was only ever designed to be powered off of an engine driven Bobcat 225 NT or a Bobcat 225D plus with the field conversion kit. Because of the design of the machine we can't recommend that you power this unit off of a wall outlet.
          What harm in releasing the information..??

why not disclose it with the caveat you already mentioned..??

this is a long discontinued piece of equipment... so trade secrets are not likely
          Last edited by H80N; 01-18-2016, 12:18 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
          Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
          Dynasty 200DX
          Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
          Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

The black and white are the 230 VAC , the green is frame ground.

Now the orange and red are 12 VDC with red being positive and orange being negative, they were used to power a relay in the power source, so not needed if running off the wall. This leads to a delema as there won't be any shut down protection if there is a fault. Plus the unit will be live as soon as wall power is applied. The latter is why Miller suggests you not running it this way.
            Last edited by cruizer; 01-20-2016, 05:06 AM.

Comment

I do not want anyone to be injured or worse so to be perfectly clear: This type of modification should NEVER be done as it would be very hazardous to the operator.

Kevin
              Kevin Schuh
              Service Technician
              Miller Electric Mfg. Co.

Comment

Sorta what I just said, zero shut down protection.

Not really sure what the difference would be anyways, I mean the Bobcat 225NT,
                puts out 230 Vac, in reference to contactor 10 . Which derives its coil power from the hour meter 12Vdc. Wouldn't be difficult to build a contactor box with a 12Vdc supply to run the Lynx. That way protection issues are covered. Or even a contactor with a auxillary side micro switch. Drops power, kills the input. However, the Lynx didn't last long, and I've never seen one. May just be a failed
                hiccup in the spectrum series.
                Last edited by cruizer; 01-20-2016, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Sounds like my kind of setup. Anything Frankenstein-ish...that's my style.

Comment

Say, I got one of these machines in, or virtually any machine or option. I'd inspect it and run it up with a test bench. Its not rocket science

Comment

Working...
                    X