Spoolgun questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spoolgun questions

Hi, again! The newb, again, with yet more questions.

I just tried out my new Spoolmate 100 on my Miller 190 (on 230V, as it's not dual-voltage), and had some odd results. I was using a piece of T-6061 3/16" plate as a test piece. I used Xylene as a cleaner (gotta get some acetone), and a new stainless wire brush, and got it spotless. As it was cold in the shop, I used a butane torch to warm the aluminum (not too hot to touch, though).

At the settings suggested for this thickness of aluminum, inside the welder lid (using a brand new roll of the recommended alloy .030" wire), the results were...horrific. I've been MIG welding for about 15 years, and I've NEVER seen anything that ugly!! It alternated between large meltdowns & spattered collections of crusted peaks, craters, and large gaps. Trust me - there's no way I'd post a picture of any of THOSE here!

Eventually, I tried turning the power waaaay down (3.5/ 65- ish), and started to get actual beads. There is lots of spatter, though (which surprised me), and the welding sounded like steel MIG (frying bacon sound, rather than the "hum" I was anticipating). I did get a nice, steady hum at the amperage settings that were making a mess of things.

The wire speed seems really, really slow to me, compared to what I've seen in the videos...I don't think it's adjustable independent of amps, though.

I'm using a 3/4" wire stickout & standoff ("pushing" the bead), and about 15* from vertical for the torch, as that's what I've seen in the Miller videos for this unit.

What they don't mention is gas flow - I have it set at about 35. Too much?

I should mention that my newly-contracted, rusty Argon bottle turns out to be almost empty (I guess they mixed up the tanks), with only about 400 psi in it. I doubt that would cause my issues though, would it?

Anyway, I'm sure there are folks on here who know what I'm doing wrong in my settings, technique, etc., so I'm here for advice from the guys who've already figured this stuff out!

Anyway, here's a pic of my last 3 beads. From left to right, slowing down...an awful lot of spatter, though.

Suggestions? Thanks in advance for your help!!
    Last edited by mh434; 01-14-2016, 05:47 PM.

You are using %100 Argon..for Aluminum.?? NOT 75/25 right..??

And I would probably go about 25 CFH on the Argon...
    Last edited by H80N; 01-14-2016, 07:40 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Yep, pure argon (well, that's what it says on the bottle...). I did try to purge all the 75/25 from the hose & welder, but it's possible there was still some in the system (it's hard to tell where the 75/25 ends and the Ar begins!). I will try doing some more purging, dial back on the gas flow, and see what that does.

Would remaining 75/25 result in this kind of spatter?

Thanks! Anyone else seen this kind of thing?

Comment

Well, I got a new bottle of argon (more or less full this time - the one I originally bought was below 500 psi when they gave it to me), and tried again. I turned up the power a fair bit (okay, a LOT!), and got the first weld in the pic (left bead) - ridiculously ugly, not even a bead, really, more like linear spatter. The next one was with the gas pressure turned down a little (but still, way beyond ugly). Finally, I turned the gas waaaay down (flow while welding under 20), and got the third bead (far right).

So, I think I've figured out the problem - too much gas pressure (or flow rate) was either blowing the gas right off the puddle, sucking air into the weld, or both. Whichever it was, it's looking a lot better now. Penetration looks good, too. A little more fine tuning, and I think I'll have it!

Comment

FWIW a FULL Argon bottle should be between 2000 & 2450 PSI @ 70F room temp..

have seen some at about 1700 PSI... but that is low ..... lower the room temp... the lower the bottle psi

When they fill them it is measured by weight NOT pressure... and it is usually not very precise...

Soooo there can be quite a range

Here is a flow rate chart you might find useful

Last edited by H80N; 01-20-2016, 02:27 PM.

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
          Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
          Dynasty 200DX
          Millermatic 200

Comment

The beads on the left look like poor or wrong gas coverage... the one on the right is more like it

My Blue Stuff:
            Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
            Dynasty 200DX
            Millermatic 200

Comment

You said you turned the gas flow "waaaaay" down and ended up around 20 cfh. What were you flowing before?

Comment

Working...
              X