X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ironken
    replied
    Originally posted by USMCPOP View Post
    I don't like the main site either. Trying to browse equipment (say, for example the line of TIG machines) takes a lot of clicking and use of pull-downs. This "upgrade" seems like a big step backward.
    I couldn't agree more. I seldom go to the Miller page anymore because it is a PITA.

Leave a comment:

• USMCPOP
    replied
    I don't like the main site either. Trying to browse equipment (say, for example the line of TIG machines) takes a lot of clicking and use of pull-downs. This "upgrade" seems like a big step backward.

Leave a comment:

• kiwi
    replied
    Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
    I noticed also. Not much going on most days...Bob
    Sad to say I have to agree. This site used to be very active.
    Nick

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
    The gripes of the new forum platform are not unfounded. Fortunately this is all free and I'm grateful for that. My first question on here had absolutely nothing to do with a welding machine, but was about a problem I had wiring up a drum switch to an electric motor. I chose this group of fine fellows to pose my question to after browsing many other forums and reading how people were treated with various questions. That includes forums where my question would have been more pertinent. I had a feeling that I would get the most constructive feedback from this one and so I went for it. I have posted a few questions off and on over a couple of other forums but rarely get anything of substance. With that said, I'm hanging on to this one, platform notwithstanding.
    Ryan

Don't get me wrong... there are still plenty of bugs and problems with this upgrade... and the install seems very far from completely implemented...

But I figure that if we keep the admins apprised of the issues.... that things will get resolved over time...

As with any new software... the end user turns out to be the best debugging tool.... thus far from my view.. it seem we are at about 75% of the useability of the old system with plenty of annoying quirks to vex us...

as long as the users keep on informing the Admins of problems in a constructive manner.. the internet team will continue to squash bugs and improve useability issues... They are listening and working on it...

Originally posted by shovelon View Post
    I just find the new format boring. I hardly ever visit anymore. Liked the old format better.
    Terry

for me... more frustrating than anything else... the interface is different and virtually nothing is in the same place that I have gotten used to easily finding it... So I have to hunt for it... Guess this will be our burden as users... to climb the steep learning curve of what seems an alien system... dealing with where we think things are 'SUPPOSED' to be vs were they now are...

In my case... maybe.. Old Dog.. new tricks...??...
    Last edited by H80N; 12-26-2015, 08:41 AM.

Leave a comment:

• fabricator
    replied
    I would like to see miller techs answer questions more often.
    I check in a few days a week, work keeps me too busy.I dont see much difference of the formats, looks fine to me.

Leave a comment:

• shovelon
    replied
    I just find the new format boring. I hardly ever visit anymore. Liked the old format better.

Leave a comment:

• Aeronca41
    replied
    Originally posted by H80N View Post
    Life is about change.... I have participated here since 2003 when there was only ONE forum instead of the present three...

Back Then it was called "ASK ANDY" and was created and run by Andy Weyenberg (as a spare time project) for the benefit of Weldors both beginner and expert....with emphasis on helping answer technical questions on Miller equipment as well as encouraging others to share their experience and knowledge.. there were very few of us.. and most of us got to know each other

Andy answered questions... pointed folks to knowledge resources and settled disputes... all the while juggling his duties as Miller's Motorsports Manager.... The forum grew... and Miller's racing participation has exploded.... most of the original plankholding members have moved on or died off... and instead of just Andy running it like a one man band...
    Now there is a whole "Internet Department".... with many folks....doing intricate magic...with close to 60 thousand registered members....!!!

Yep.... much has changed.... maybe not all for the good... but all not for the bad either....

the spirit of helping and exchanging information and inspiration still remains....

A lot of great folk share this site and make it work...

I have learned much and made many wonderful friends here...over the last 12 years..

things change and grow... time & technology march on

My guess is that we will get used to this latest incarnation of the forum... so we can grouse like the devil when the NEXT generation comes along..

Merry Christmas to All

Heiti
    What Heiti said! Change always has it's pluses and minuses but one of the best things about people is they generally find a way adapt.

I would no doubt have blown a board by jumping my TB280 when I bought it if it hadn't been for guidance from this site. Saved me a bunch of bucks! And recently, "strangers" offering to loan eqpt to a guy in need. Very cool! Great group!

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    The gripes of the new forum platform are not unfounded. Fortunately this is all free and I'm grateful for that. My first question on here had absolutely nothing to do with a welding machine, but was about a problem I had wiring up a drum switch to an electric motor. I chose this group of fine fellows to pose my question to after browsing many other forums and reading how people were treated with various questions. That includes forums where my question would have been more pertinent. I had a feeling that I would get the most constructive feedback from this one and so I went for it. I have posted a few questions off and on over a couple of other forums but rarely get anything of substance. With that said, I'm hanging on to this one, platform notwithstanding.

Leave a comment:

• OscarJr
    replied
    Originally posted by J hall View Post

Not really. There have been a lot of Lincoln folks on here over the years. Too many sub forums makes it bothersome to browse through the site. Like at Hobart...

Probably so, I've only been registered for a very short time so any astute observations of mine are based solely on that

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    Originally posted by J hall View Post

Not really. There have been a lot of Lincoln folks on here over the years. Too many sub forums makes it bothersome to browse through the site. Like at Hobart...
    Many is the time that problems with non Miller equipment have gone through troubleshooting and repair here....

whether it be repair... compatibility... or setup issues.... they have been addressed here frequently... lots of Grey... Orange... Red.. Green stuff still running because of info shared here....

Leave a comment:

• mikesystem
    replied
    i have been here for a long time i read a lot but dont post much it has its up and downs

Leave a comment:

• J hall
    replied
    Originally posted by OscarJr View Post
    I think perhaps that this forum is hosted by Miller, and that gives it a "Miller Clientele" kinda feeling. The same way most Miller users would not go and sign up to a Lincoln-sponsored forum, applies here. Then there are the only 3-subforums vs 10+ subforums in other forums dedicated to all aspects of welding & fabrication, which go hand-in-hand most of the time.

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    Life is about change.... I have participated here since 2003 when there was only ONE forum instead of the present three...

Back Then it was called "ASK ANDY" and was created and run by Andy Weyenberg (as a spare time project) for the benefit of Weldors both beginner and expert....with emphasis on helping answer technical questions on Miller equipment as well as encouraging others to share their experience and knowledge.. there were very few of us.. and most of us got to know each other

Andy answered questions... pointed folks to knowledge resources and settled disputes... all the while juggling his duties as Miller's Motorsports Manager.... The forum grew... and Miller's racing participation has exploded.... most of the original plankholding members have moved on or died off... and instead of just Andy running it like a one man band...
    Now there is a whole "Internet Department".... with many folks....doing intricate magic...with close to 60 thousand registered members....!!!

Yep.... much has changed.... maybe not all for the good... but all not for the bad either....

the spirit of helping and exchanging information and inspiration still remains....

A lot of great folk share this site and make it work...

I have learned much and made many wonderful friends here...over the last 12 years..

things change and grow... time & technology march on

My guess is that we will get used to this latest incarnation of the forum... so we can grouse like the devil when the NEXT generation comes along..

Merry Christmas to All

Heiti

Leave a comment:

• MMW
    replied
    I go on here from my computer & I don't think it is much different than before? Three sub forums is fine. In fact the motorsports one rarely gets used, so two would probably work. If it had 10 sub forums I probably would move on or only check one or two anyway. With only three of them I can check them all quickly.

Leave a comment:

• OscarJr
    replied
    I think perhaps that this forum is hosted by Miller, and that gives it a "Miller Clientele" kinda feeling. The same way most Miller users would not go and sign up to a Lincoln-sponsored forum, applies here. Then there are the only 3-subforums vs 10+ subforums in other forums dedicated to all aspects of welding & fabrication, which go hand-in-hand most of the time.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X