• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    H80N

• H80N
    replied
    Originally posted by Danno View Post
    Well I took the machine apart this morning and started testing from the flow meter hose to the bulkhead fitting/solenoid connection with compressed air, tested fine, hose from bulkhead fitting/solenoid to feed assy. flow was perfect. Now then when I hooked up my tweeco #4 I felt air coming from the trigger area, dismantled the gun to test again and there was more leaking around the goose neck to cable connection than was coming from the defuser. this was the first time I had taken the gun apart and was surprised it leaked that bad from the factory. however that doesn't explain why my XR Pro does the same thing. I'll keep looking.

What do you owners of the same machine use for a gas setting?
    Am concerned about using compressed air for this... what kind of pressure..?? you might be overpowering your gun seals... (shield gas pressure typically runs from 3 to 10 psi while flowing from what I have read)

and you are NOT measuring the CFH at the nozzle...

I m not understanding what this accomplishes

Here is MIG Gas CFH Flow rate chart that you might find useful

http://www.netwelding.com/MIG_Flow_Rate_Chart.pdf
    (sorry but the chart comes with a couple of pages of sales pitch)
    H80N
    Last edited by H80N; 12-22-2015, 02:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Danno
    replied
    Well I took the machine apart this morning and started testing from the flow meter hose to the bulkhead fitting/solenoid connection with compressed air, tested fine, hose from bulkhead fitting/solenoid to feed assy. flow was perfect. Now then when I hooked up my tweeco #4 I felt air coming from the trigger area, dismantled the gun to test again and there was more leaking around the goose neck to cable connection than was coming from the defuser. this was the first time I had taken the gun apart and was surprised it leaked that bad from the factory. however that doesn't explain why my XR Pro does the same thing. I'll keep looking.

What do you owners of the same machine use for a gas setting?

Leave a comment:

• Danno
    replied
    Thanks H80N, I check it in the morning!

Leave a comment:

• H80N

• H80N
    replied
    Still thinking a gas problem... maybe a blockage...

have you tried one of the NOZZLE flowmeters...???

they measure what actually comes out

http://weldingdirect.com/gasflowchecker.html

there was recent thread that sounded a lot like yours... it was a bit of teflon tape in the gas line...

once that was removed everything was fine...

Here are some threads you might find useful

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...350p-gas-issue

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...imension-nt450

H80N
    Last edited by H80N; 12-21-2015, 05:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Danno
    replied
    I forgot to mention when welding aluminum I use a XR Pro push pull and a Tweeco #4 for mig.

Leave a comment:

• Danno
    replied
    It does the same thing whether I'm welding steel or aluminum. if its steel I use either .035 or .045 E70 S6 w90/10, if aluminum its 3/64 5356 w/Argon.

Joint prep doesn't seem to matter nor does cleaning.

In the 40 years I have been a fabricator I have never had bump my gas flow this high, nor could I not track down a leak or oxy ingestion problem.

Welding aluminum is very sooty, not the dime/puddle look I use to get with my old 30A spool gun, and if I hit the bead with a grinder its just full of porosity but not on the outside surface.

One day I welds like a million dollars, the next day I want to crush it.

Leave a comment:

• H80N

• H80N
    replied
    Originally posted by Danno View Post
    I would like to know if anyone else has had porosity problems with their 350P. Mine has given me porosity issues since the day it was new(2012). Miller replaced the feed assy. and the memory card or board in it but no luck. I got rid of the regulator that came with it and put a brand new flow meter out and still no luck. I have my best luck my flow meter turned up to 35-40 cfm. where do you guys have yours set for pulse mig?
    What are you welding?? Steel..?? Aluminum..??? filler metal...?? type of gas?? Joint prep..?? Cleaning??

Porosity is usually caused by a gas coverage or contamination problems...
    H80N
    Last edited by H80N; 12-21-2015, 01:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Danno
    started a topic 350P porosity issues

350P porosity issues

I would like to know if anyone else has had porosity problems with their 350P. Mine has given me porosity issues since the day it was new(2012). Miller replaced the feed assy. and the memory card or board in it but no luck. I got rid of the regulator that came with it and put a brand new flow meter out and still no luck. I have my best luck my flow meter turned up to 35-40 cfm. where do you guys have yours set for pulse mig?
Working...
X