350P porosity issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 350P porosity issues

I would like to know if anyone else has had porosity problems with their 350P. Mine has given me porosity issues since the day it was new(2012). Miller replaced the feed assy. and the memory card or board in it but no luck. I got rid of the regulator that came with it and put a brand new flow meter out and still no luck. I have my best luck my flow meter turned up to 35-40 cfm. where do you guys have yours set for pulse mig?
    Miller 350 LX Tigrunner
    Miller 350P w/XR-Pro
    Miller 250MP w/30A spool
    Miller 211 Autoset
    Hobart Tigwave 250
    Hobart Beta-Mig 251

Originally posted by Danno View Post
    I would like to know if anyone else has had porosity problems with their 350P. Mine has given me porosity issues since the day it was new(2012). Miller replaced the feed assy. and the memory card or board in it but no luck. I got rid of the regulator that came with it and put a brand new flow meter out and still no luck. I have my best luck my flow meter turned up to 35-40 cfm. where do you guys have yours set for pulse mig?
    What are you welding?? Steel..?? Aluminum..??? filler metal...?? type of gas?? Joint prep..?? Cleaning??

Porosity is usually caused by a gas coverage or contamination problems...
    Last edited by H80N; 12-21-2015, 12:47 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

It does the same thing whether I'm welding steel or aluminum. if its steel I use either .035 or .045 E70 S6 w90/10, if aluminum its 3/64 5356 w/Argon.

Joint prep doesn't seem to matter nor does cleaning.

In the 40 years I have been a fabricator I have never had bump my gas flow this high, nor could I not track down a leak or oxy ingestion problem.

Welding aluminum is very sooty, not the dime/puddle look I use to get with my old 30A spool gun, and if I hit the bead with a grinder its just full of porosity but not on the outside surface.

One day I welds like a million dollars, the next day I want to crush it.
      Miller 350 LX Tigrunner
      Miller 350P w/XR-Pro
      Miller 250MP w/30A spool
      Miller 211 Autoset
      Hobart Tigwave 250
      Hobart Beta-Mig 251

Comment

I forgot to mention when welding aluminum I use a XR Pro push pull and a Tweeco #4 for mig.
        Miller 350 LX Tigrunner
        Miller 350P w/XR-Pro
        Miller 250MP w/30A spool
        Miller 211 Autoset
        Hobart Tigwave 250
        Hobart Beta-Mig 251

Comment

Still thinking a gas problem... maybe a blockage...

have you tried one of the NOZZLE flowmeters...???

they measure what actually comes out

http://weldingdirect.com/gasflowchecker.html

there was recent thread that sounded a lot like yours... it was a bit of teflon tape in the gas line...

once that was removed everything was fine...

Here are some threads you might find useful

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...350p-gas-issue

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...imension-nt450

Last edited by H80N; 12-21-2015, 04:38 PM.

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
          Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
          Dynasty 200DX
          Millermatic 200

Comment

Thanks H80N, I check it in the morning!
            Miller 350 LX Tigrunner
            Miller 350P w/XR-Pro
            Miller 250MP w/30A spool
            Miller 211 Autoset
            Hobart Tigwave 250
            Hobart Beta-Mig 251

Comment

Well I took the machine apart this morning and started testing from the flow meter hose to the bulkhead fitting/solenoid connection with compressed air, tested fine, hose from bulkhead fitting/solenoid to feed assy. flow was perfect. Now then when I hooked up my tweeco #4 I felt air coming from the trigger area, dismantled the gun to test again and there was more leaking around the goose neck to cable connection than was coming from the defuser. this was the first time I had taken the gun apart and was surprised it leaked that bad from the factory. however that doesn't explain why my XR Pro does the same thing. I'll keep looking.

What do you owners of the same machine use for a gas setting?
              Miller 350 LX Tigrunner
              Miller 350P w/XR-Pro
              Miller 250MP w/30A spool
              Miller 211 Autoset
              Hobart Tigwave 250
              Hobart Beta-Mig 251

Comment

Originally posted by Danno View Post
                Well I took the machine apart this morning and started testing from the flow meter hose to the bulkhead fitting/solenoid connection with compressed air, tested fine, hose from bulkhead fitting/solenoid to feed assy. flow was perfect. Now then when I hooked up my tweeco #4 I felt air coming from the trigger area, dismantled the gun to test again and there was more leaking around the goose neck to cable connection than was coming from the defuser. this was the first time I had taken the gun apart and was surprised it leaked that bad from the factory. however that doesn't explain why my XR Pro does the same thing. I'll keep looking.

What do you owners of the same machine use for a gas setting?
                Am concerned about using compressed air for this... what kind of pressure..?? you might be overpowering your gun seals... (shield gas pressure typically runs from 3 to 10 psi while flowing from what I have read)

and you are NOT measuring the CFH at the nozzle...

I m not understanding what this accomplishes

Here is MIG Gas CFH Flow rate chart that you might find useful

http://www.netwelding.com/MIG_Flow_Rate_Chart.pdf
                (sorry but the chart comes with a couple of pages of sales pitch)
                Last edited by H80N; 12-22-2015, 01:46 PM.

My Blue Stuff:
                Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                Dynasty 200DX
                Millermatic 200

Comment

No I am just checking for blockage, so no not with a flow meter at the tip but, it does leak like heck where the goose neck connects to the hose assy. possibly drawing in oxygen.

What this test has done is, proves to me there is no blockage anywhere in the system and that gas or air will freely flow from one end to the other.

The mig gun leaks in the handle area, but the Aluma Pro XR does not.

I looked over the flow rate chart, and for a far back as I can remember I have ran about 20-25cfh on a non pulse machine on any thickness, we just never adjusted the reg./flow meter from there.

Air gas says on this machine 35-40 cfh, man that sounds high! I would think that would draw oxygen right in, maybe even a small child or pet...

But now where to look?
                  Miller 350 LX Tigrunner
                  Miller 350P w/XR-Pro
                  Miller 250MP w/30A spool
                  Miller 211 Autoset
                  Hobart Tigwave 250
                  Hobart Beta-Mig 251

Comment

I would still measure gas flow at the nozzle and see how it tally's with the settings at the regulator

Your air pressure test still strikes me as having little utility....

I might blow the lines out backwards though and see if anything pops out
                    Last edited by H80N; 12-22-2015, 04:55 PM.

My Blue Stuff:
                    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                    Dynasty 200DX
                    Millermatic 200

Comment

this is the same problem i had with my hobart i had it pissed me off to the point i bought a new 350p anyways yesterday i started looking to figure out why mine was doing the same as yours if i wanted a clean weld i needed to run it at 50 cfm to get a clean weld if not it looked like popcorn found two things with mine the liner had oil in it down inside i let out about 5 feet or wire and used a white rag wiped the wire down and was oil on the rag it was coming from my wire feed rollers so i cleaned it up changed the liner and now it welds like new again back at 20 cfm but its been doing it for a few years and never really took the time to take it apart and see what the problem was but its mint now

Comment

Originally posted by mikesystem View Post
                        this is the same problem i had with my hobart i had it pissed me off to the point i bought a new 350p anyways yesterday i started looking to figure out why mine was doing the same as yours if i wanted a clean weld i needed to run it at 50 cfm to get a clean weld if not it looked like popcorn found two things with mine the liner had oil in it down inside i let out about 5 feet or wire and used a white rag wiped the wire down and was oil on the rag it was coming from my wire feed rollers so i cleaned it up changed the liner and now it welds like new again back at 20 cfm but its been doing it for a few years and never really took the time to take it apart and see what the problem was but its mint now
                        CONTAMINATION...!!!!

Oil would sure muck things up and cause porosity....

Originally posted by H80N View Post

Porosity is usually caused by a gas coverage or contamination problems...
                        Last edited by H80N; 12-22-2015, 06:28 PM.

My Blue Stuff:
                        Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                        Dynasty 200DX
                        Millermatic 200

Comment

Originally posted by H80N View Post

CONTAMINATION...!!!!

Oil would sure muck things up and cause porosity....
                          ya but it would clean up with gas cranked to the max and weld looked great but 50 cfm flow is crazy high also the oil was not noticable by eye

Comment

Originally posted by mikesystem View Post
                            ya but it would clean up with gas cranked to the max and weld looked great but 50 cfm flow is crazy high also the oil was not noticable by eye
                            Am agreeing with ya...

Contamination is one the fist things to look for... along with gas coverage
                            Last edited by H80N; 12-22-2015, 06:50 PM.

My Blue Stuff:
                            Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                            Dynasty 200DX
                            Millermatic 200

Comment

I had a 350p, Between being too big for the job and not getting the desired results, I sold it. Turned up high it was great, but down low it was well, just not low enough for what I do.
                              Two Dynasty 350's with Wireless pedals
                              Victor O/A
                              Profax 250 weld positioner
                              Bridgeport mill
                              Logan Turret lathe
                              RMD tubing bender
                              Enco vertical saw
                              Baileigh Auto cold saw
                              IR 80 Gal dual stage compressor
                              Misc Fab equipment

Comment

Working...