Maxstar 140 220 operation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maxstar 140 220 operation

I realize this is an outdated model but I would like to figure out the easiest way to run this machine on 220v to get a little more output the prob I see is that the plug on the machine is a 5-20 115 v plug this makes it difficult to run this on 220 any suggestions would be greatly appreciated thanks Matt

Originally posted by chub380 View Post
    I realize this is an outdated model but I would like to figure out the easiest way to run this machine on 220v to get a little more output the prob I see is that the plug on the machine is a 5-20 115 v plug this makes it difficult to run this on 220 any suggestions would be greatly appreciated thanks Matt
    Could you post your serial number?? is this an "AUTOLINK" equipped version...?? if so see

Section 2-12. Installing 230 Volts Ac Input Power Cord

Page 16 (Page 20 of the PDF)

https://www.millerwelds.com/files/ow.../O2224_MIL.pdf

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

You could probably purchase the 6.5 ft (2 m) power cord and MVP™ adapter plugs for 120V and 240V that were intended for the Maxstar 150 or MM211 to make it easier to switch between 120 & 240

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
      Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
      Dynasty 200DX
      Millermatic 200

Comment

I was thinking about that that would be a good option but prob kinda spendy I do still need the option to go to 120 if needed really what I need is a 5-20r style plug rated for 220 then it would be simple another option would be to cut the cord and put on a 6-20 p and go the other way I was sure I remember some guys on here doing some pigtails but not sure thanks for the help so far

Comment

I was thinking about that that would be a good option but prob kinda spendy I do still need the option to go to 120 if needed really what I need is a 5-20r style plug rated for 220 then it would be simple another option would be to cut the cord and put on a 6-20 p and go the other way I was sure I remember some guys on here doing some pigtails but not sure thanks for the help so far
          Making a pigtail to switch between 120 & 240 is always an option...a lot of Dynasty 200 owners have done it..

Here is an old post by Broc that covers it..

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...853#post335853

Last edited by H80N; 12-20-2015, 03:29 PM.

My Blue Stuff:
          Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
          Dynasty 200DX
          Millermatic 200

Comment

I had this problem with my Dynasty. My LWS suggested I go to a local electrical supply. They have the female end that is the mate to the plugs on my Hypertherm PM 30. Wire that up-then just buy the 120-220 male plugs for the Hyperthem! Hope this helps. I like simple!

Comment

I ended up making a pigtail from a 30 amp twistlock to a 5-20 female plug to the welder had the twistlock for my table saw not thrilled about the 5-20 plug but after contacting Miller to get a maxstar 150 cord or a 220 maxstar 140 cord with no luck and also contacting fronius with no solutions just decided to do this I welded with it on 220 at almost full output and the primary I put cord didn't even get warm so I suppose it will be ok the 5-20 was a good quality Hubble connector that handled 10 g round wire fine no that that's fixed here's the next prob when I posted this thread about a week ago I also posted basicly an identical thread over a weldtalk as I have been a member over there for prob 10 years now when I log in it said I have been banned for spam and the band will never be lifted what the heck what can I do about this thanks Matt

Comment

chub380,

Here is what I came up for my Dynasty 210 DX.

Since I have wired all my other 240 volt equipment using 6-50 plugs, I made this adapter to run it on 120 volts for
                the odd jobs where 240 is not available.

Plug is 5-15 as most of the outlets I come across are not 5-20 type.

Cost about $20.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dynasty210_1.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	564944 Click image for larger version

Name:	Dynasty 210 Adapter2.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	564945

Miller Dynasty 350, Dynasty 210 DX, Hypertherm 1000, Thermal Arc GTSW400, Airco Heliwelder II, oxy-fuel setup, metal cutting bandsaw, air compressor, drill press, large first aid kit, etc.

Call me the "Clouseau" of welding !

Comment

Your not understanding this quite right the plug that came factory on the maxstar 140 is a 5-20 p so I needed a 5-20 style receptical I made the pigtail allready it works great I talked to my electrician friend he said it would be fine the prob I had with it was that a 5-20 receptical is only meant for 115 v if it would be like your dynasty wired for 220 I would have never even had a question I didn't want to cut the 5-20 plug off because I use that for the most of the time thanks ps still not sure what to do about that ban over on Hobart forum

Comment

To better understand it your not running 220v thru your 5-15 Iam running 220 thru my 5-20

Comment

The 5-20 receptacle can handle the 240v voltage just fine.
                      Ed Conley
                      http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
                      MM252
                      MM211
                      Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
                      TA185
                      Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                      O/A set
                      SO 2020 Bender
                      You can call me Bacchus

Comment

People occasionally get banned from the Hobart site by accident. I sent you a private message with an email contact at Hobart.
                        Miller stuff:
                        Dialarc 250 (1974)
                        Syncrowave 250 (1992)
                        Spot welder (Dayton badged)

Comment

Working...
                        X