• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frostyman
    replied
    TIG.
    Argon + 308L filler rod. (1/16")

I can't imagine doing this any other way, for a single table base.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    +1 on waiting to tig weld it. Not having as much experience as other on here with welding stainless, but enough experience to help someone if I can, tig is gonna be your best bet.

I prefer using a gas lense and try to back shield if you can.

What's the stainless for? What's your project?

Leave a comment:

• xryan
    replied
    Next year is 10 days. Wait until then to do it right with argon. Why no argon for so long? Come on over I have a few hundred spare cu.ft.

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    Originally posted by softtouchph View Post
    I need to weld some square tubing for a table frame. It stainless steel tubing, 1 1/4", wall thickness is ~1mm.
    How can I do it? Stick welding seems to burn instantly the corners off, and with lower amps, it just dont stick at all. I cannot use my TIG welder at the moment because here's no argon available until beginning of next year
    Should I try to MIG weld it?
    I would wait till I had Argon and TIG it

you would need the Argon or TriMix anyway if you decided to go with MIG...

The TIG gives you much better control... especially down round the 40amps you need to be at for welding 1mm
    Last edited by H80N; 12-19-2015, 08:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Welding stainless steel square tubing 1mm thickness

I need to weld some square tubing for a table frame. It stainless steel tubing, 1 1/4", wall thickness is ~1mm.
    How can I do it? Stick welding seems to burn instantly the corners off, and with lower amps, it just dont stick at all. I cannot use my TIG welder at the moment because here's no argon available until beginning of next year
    Should I try to MIG weld it?
Working...
X