Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OscarJr
    replied
    The tanks are expensive initially, but that is the nature of the beast when doing work on your own and purchasing tanks. I paid just over $400 for mine, 75 cuft for Acet., and 125 cuft for oxygen. Oxy refill/swap is $20 and Acet is $35. Not too bad.

Leave a comment:

• H2o
    replied
    Thanks all. I am going to go with the Performer. It has the added rose bud and found a descent price for it. The CGA 300 is the standard where we are for the acet. tank and all the LWS have Victor. Once i get into the process, I may look at smaller/bigger torches but I think this set up will keep me busy for a while.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    Here is my experience to learn from...

Smith is owned by Miller. Victor is owned by ESAB. I have idea who owns Harris and ESAB also has a ton of their stuff around. It doesn't matter, they're all good quality brands. I got a great deal (online) for a whole ESAB set up. Got it. Now I have trouble getting tips and other peripherals locally because my LWS doesn't stock ESAB o/a stuff. My suggestion is to get the torch from wherever it is you plan to buy your gas and tips etc. Then you'll never have trouble getting parts, rebuild kits, service, all that stuff. Not being able to get parts for your stuff is like having a stupid little bolt broke off in a hard to reach spot, eh?

Leave a comment:

• Ironken
    replied
    I purchased the Miller/Smith toughcut medium duty outfit. It came with everything you need to get going including brazing tip and rosebud. It can he had for between $230 and $250. Great quality at a great price and best of all MADE IN USA. It can cut 5/8 outvof the box. Additional cutting tips are about $12. Be fore warned. The rose bud that comes with the outfit will exceed the withdrawal rate of smaller Acet cylinders. A very well made gas axe in my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• old jupiter
    replied
    Ditto the preference for "aircraft" size. I bought Victor O/A kit based on their smallest handle/mixer, the J27. I regularly cut steel over 1" thick with the cutting attachment, and have gouging, flushing, and rose-bud tips for it. I have bigger O/A gear, but that handy little J27 gets nearly all the use. Other makers than Victor also offer these "compacts."

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    Not exactly welding....

but it does use oxy-fuel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjdky7hBp-E

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    Originally posted by H2o View Post
    So I am looking to pick up a Oxy/Acet gas torch. I do mig/tig/stick and am set there. But wanted the ability to braise, weld, pre-heat, as well as cut when away from power. I was looking at some of the medium torch size set ups.

I was looking at Victor: the Performer or the Medalist 250 (not exactly sure of the difference between the two).

I am told Smith also has similar equipment but did not find any at my LWS.

Could anyone chime in on a good recommendation on Torches, likes and dislikes?

I got sticker shock when I inquired about buying tanks. It was about $500 for both tanks, filled. Ouch.

Thanks.
    Both Smith and Victor build good torches...

My gas torches are the small handle WWII vintage Victor Aircraft set .... still pluggin...

Did have a set of "Marquette Lite Jet" small handle torches that were stolen many years ago.... I miss those...

Leave a comment:

• H2o
    started a topic Suggestions for Oxy/Acet torches

Suggestions for Oxy/Acet torches

So I am looking to pick up a Oxy/Acet gas torch. I do mig/tig/stick and am set there. But wanted the ability to braise, weld, pre-heat, as well as cut when away from power. I was looking at some of the medium torch size set ups.

I was looking at Victor: the Performer or the Medalist 250 (not exactly sure of the difference between the two).

I am told Smith also has similar equipment but did not find any at my LWS.

Could anyone chime in on a good recommendation on Torches, likes and dislikes?

I got sticker shock when I inquired about buying tanks. It was about $500 for both tanks, filled. Ouch.

Thanks.
Working...
X