X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ironken
    replied
    Ryan...thanks for the ideas.

Digr...thanks for your personal experience with your press.

H80n....you raise a valid point. I think a little over thinking was going on in the shop. Its $10 in material. If it gets wore out or notched up, I replace it.

Food for good convo though and I got to see Digr's real shop presses.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    Remember the old tootsie pop commercials? Probably something like that, just don't lick it.

Leave a comment:

• digr
    replied
    Good point. All I had at the time was 3/8" X 6" flat bar and I ground the bevel with a side grinder. I do quite a lot of bending and once a year or two I will straighten the blade with the grinder. Round stock is hard on it when you start bending 3/4". I am not making parts for the space shuttle so it works great for me. Once you figure out what lower dies to use for different thickness steel you can do a nice job. On the little press I am getting at the max about 17 ton and I can bend 24" of 1/8" plate to a 90 using different lower dies to get there.

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    I am just wondering how many years of use and press cycles it would take before there was enough practical wear/deformation that would degrade bend quality..??

any ideas..??

is this really worth your effort..??

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    Perfect. In that case, look for a hard facing allot for metal-to-metal abrasion wear, not impact loading. There are tons of them out there. Some of them really expensive, none of them cheap.

Leave a comment:

• Ironken
    replied
    No bonding Ryan. Just wanted some hardness on the punch. We over engineer because we can.....yes sir.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    Most hardfacing and wearfacing isn't meant to bond pieces together. Not saying it won't work, but if you're going to do it, find one that's for metal on metal wear and the surface will work harden properly. Maybe this is over-engineering things, but that seems to be a habit of those of us that build things.

Leave a comment:

• Ironken
    replied
    Originally posted by Meltedmetal View Post
    If you have or can borrow an O/A torch you can do this.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tlsq2ESQz0
    I don't know if your TIG is up to this or not.---Meltedmetal
    I have an OA rig with a rosebud. Gonna take a big fire to keep it up to temp for the Casenite. The TIG idea was to just lay down some hard stuff on the edge of the die to prevent metal to metal wear.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!
    Last edited by Ironken; 11-28-2015, 09:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• digr
    replied
    Originally posted by Synchroman View Post

The 20 ton SWAG press brake is a self-contained unit that is easily put in place. In practice, the ram is not connected to the upper die. There is a receptacle on top of the upper die and the ram pushes down at that point. The springs are necessary to raise the die back up after the bend is made. Considering the effort to be expended in the sourcing of the material and the hours it would take to amass the entire kit, the money involved was very reasonable.

I don't see why a user would want to leave the ram connected to the upper die. I always remove the brake after use and simply set it on the floor.

Your press is nice, but it's in a different league from the typical home shop press like many are using.
    Thank's One set screw and the upper die is off and its a regular press again then slide the table off, but to each his own and I am sure your setup works great.

Leave a comment:

• Ironken
    replied
    Originally posted by digr View Post
    Did you look at the little press? every thing comes off so it is a regular press, it would be perfect for what you need.
    I like that small press. I may draw up something similar and price the materials.

Leave a comment:

• theweldor
    replied
    I USED AR 500 for the die. Saved hardening it. But I also had a piece left from a job.

Leave a comment:

• Meltedmetal
    replied
    Originally posted by Ironken View Post
    Meltedmetal....not a bad idea but, I'm a garage hack with no way to keep the die up to temp to case harden.
    If you have or can borrow an O/A torch you can do this.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tlsq2ESQz0
    I don't know if your TIG is up to this or not.---Meltedmetal

Leave a comment:

• Synchroman
    replied
    Originally posted by digr View Post
    I don't understand the need for the springs and guides on these little press brakes. As long as your upper die is attached to your ram there is no need. Every thing has to be bent in the middle of the die anyway so you don't need the guides at all, in fact I would think that they would be hindrance. Here is link to my build
    The 20 ton SWAG press brake is a self-contained unit that is easily put in place. In practice, the ram is not connected to the upper die. There is a receptacle on top of the upper die and the ram pushes down at that point. The springs are necessary to raise the die back up after the bend is made. Considering the effort to be expended in the sourcing of the material and the hours it would take to amass the entire kit, the money involved was very reasonable.

I don't see why a user would want to leave the ram connected to the upper die. I always remove the brake after use and simply set it on the floor.

Your press is nice, but it's in a different league from the typical home shop press like many are using.

Leave a comment:

• digr
    replied
    Originally posted by Ironken View Post
    Meltedmetal....not a bad idea but, I'm a garage hack with no way to keep the die up to temp to case harden.

Digr....your press and brake are the real deal. That is shop p.o.r.n. right there! If I had those, I'd use them to crush mine and scrap it. I'm in the chink press club. I do motorcycle work as well so it needs to be versatile.
    Did you look at the little press? every thing comes off so it is a regular press, it would be perfect for what you need.

Leave a comment:

• Ironken
    replied

Digr....your press and brake are the real deal. That is shop p.o.r.n. right there! If I had those, I'd use them to crush mine and scrap it. I'm in the chink press club. I do motorcycle work as well so it needs to be versatile.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X