Oxy-Acetylene Welding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oxy-Acetylene Welding

Explain why arc welding is preferred to gas welding in the joining of thick plates

Originally posted by coolziggy View Post
    Explain why arc welding is preferred to gas welding in the joining of thick plates
    Welding school quiz..eh...??? sounds like you need to do your reading...
    Last edited by H80N; 11-25-2015, 03:54 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Time and money is the reason among many nothers as hn80 said some reading will enlight you

Comment

Rather than being critical of the poster and his question, I will attempt to answer the question. He mentions the joining of thick plates. If using the Oxy-Acetylene process, there would be a great deal of pre-heating necessary to bring the parts up to the temperature necessary to fuse them together. This takes time and, most important, lots and lots of expensive bottled oxygen and acetylene. Oxy-Acetylene is an excellent method for joining thin sections of steel. I've seen some beautiful welding on mild steel exhaiust systems for example. That said, the thicker the material, the longer it takes, the heavier the torch needed and the more expensive it gets.

Assuming that the poster is referring to stick welding (SMAW), given suitable equipment, the joining of thick plates of steel is very straightforward. Heat is instantaneous, and fusion of the metal is immediate. If the plates are very thick several passes may be needed, but the work goes quickly and there is no expensive bottled gas required.

I hope this helps.
        Miller Syncrowave 200
        Milermatic 252
        Lincoln AC/DC "Tombstone"

Comment

Synchroman has just given you a polite and excellent answer to your question. My two bottles hardly get any use but for heating up a piece that needs bending or straightening.

Comment

The reason we give terse answers to these types of posts is that the OP doesn't introduce themselves, first post and most likely a phishing expedition.
            Ed Conley
            http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
            MM252
            MM211
            Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
            TA185
            Miller 125c Plasma 120v
            O/A set
            SO 2020 Bender
            You can call me Bacchus

Comment

In case you're serious about this, Ziggy, try it yourself once, even if you never do it again. (BTW, we're talking welding, not brazing). As the others said, it takes a LONG time to bring thick sections up to welding temperature AND keep them there. You'll find you can only maintain a short but deep puddle in the joint, actually not a puddle but a deep hole, the surface of which is just barely hot enough to take filler rod. This is even though you are working with a big, high-number tip. And that big tip, and the difficulty of getting the joint up to welding temperature, calls for enough gas pressure that it tends to blow whatever puddle you can establish right out of the deep hot orange hole you want to fill. Getting the filler rod melted into the joint and moving the puddle along to get some kind of semi-decent weld is a thing I have had to try do a couple of times over the decades, but not something I'd look forward to doing again.

Undoubtedly there were old-timers who found the combination for doing this successfully, and if there is one reading this, I would be curious to know how you old guys (and I'm almost 70) went about it. But even the very simplest old AC transformer welder makes thick sections far quicker and easier and cheaper to do.
              Last edited by old jupiter; 11-27-2015, 12:49 PM.

Comment

....and that's not even mentioning the noise with those huge tips. I'm almost as old as Old Jupiter and I remember seeing guys still doing some heavy welding with OA In the 50's ( diehards, I guess-there were very smooth welding Lincoln, Miller, and Hobart engine drives available-we only used those big tips for preheating castings to be welded. I remember just HATING the noise from those big flames. Engine drives may have been loud, too, but at least to me not nearly so irritating

Comment

Oh, engine drives are irritating too, because I want to HEAR the arc. Don't have to, but I'd prefer it. You have to hand it to the pipeliners, who have to make good welds with the racket of all those engine-welders running day and night.

(Is a '41 Aeronca one of those funny-looking rigs first built in the Thirties with the flathead opposed-twin? My dad had a '49 Aeronca Sedan, which I sure wish I had now). EDIT--(My mistake, I was thinking of the C-3, and you must have an early Champ or Chief, which makes more sense now that I think about it). (I happen to have a '41 Lincoln Continental coupe, and if I ever get around to fixing it up, we could get my car and your airplane together for a photo).
                  Last edited by old jupiter; 11-28-2015, 12:47 AM.

Comment

Wholeheartedly agree with hearing the arc-sound really helps -I just found the noise of the big OA flame particularly irritating to my ears. I can remember being a kid on job sites with my dad in the late 50s fixing heavy equipment. That Hobart's Wisconsin V-4 got old after 8-10 hours but not as bad (to me) as those big flames. It's a personal thing I guess. You are right on with the pipeliners-the long-term noise really isn't nice and they have no choice but to tolerate it day in and day out. At the risk of a high-jack of this thread to a non-welding topic, I lived with high noise levels for very long days as a USCG aircrewman in Grumman Albatrosses in the 60s. A 12-14 hour day with two R-1820s that it seemed could never be kept quite in sync, always vibrating and whining, often left us as pretty grumpy guys when we finally got home. Hats off to the pipeliners who just deal with it.

On the Aeronca, 1941 was the beginning of the Defender (model 65), which became the O58-A and B during the War, which in turn was renamed the L-3 when the Army Air Force changed from the Observation category to Liason. It is a 2-place tandem that looks somewhat like the Champ but skinnier. The Sedan you mention was quite the machine-a true classic. Wish I could afford one and the fuel for it! You can still see a number of them at the Aeronca fly-in at Middletown, OH in the summer of even-numbered years.

The Aeronca is in pieces in the garage-my dad was rebuilding it when he passed away. It became a planned retirement project that I hope to get started on maybe next summer (my mom just wanted it out of her garage, so now it's in mine). Love those old Lincolns!

Comment

Working...
                    X