X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Portable Welder
    • Aug 2004

2001 Pipe pro 304 problems

My machine has been acting up lately, while running it will go to high idle for no apparent reason, we will then shut it down and restart it and all is well for a couple days usually.
    I was out on a job yesterday and lost power to the grinder, so I checked connections and realized there was no AC power, I then checked my welding output and nothing there.
    This morning I checked it again with everything unplugged including the welding cables and still nothing, I forgot to mention that the LED display is also not registering.
  • 1997CST
    • Mar 2014

First place to look is your brushes. It's a great start since you have no display at all.

Comment

• Portable Welder
      • Aug 2004

I hope it is just the brushes, I'm not sure if this machine uses brushes because its a inverter and why would the motor go to high idle.

Comment

• 1997CST
        • Mar 2014

Seriously? You own this machine and didn't know it has brushes?

Comment

• Portable Welder
          • Aug 2004

To Tell you the truth, no I diddnt know, I never gave it much thought since I have never had a problem.

I know that my trail blazers do, Why would this be such a big deal, when I have electrical problems I take it to my repair guy and when they need welding done they call me.

Comment

• ryanjones2150
            • Jul 2014

Well, PW, if you were as smart as 1997cst you'd have solved your problem already.

So what kind of brushes are we talkin about? Toothbrushes, bore brushes, push brushes...

Comment

• H80N
              • Nov 2003

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
              Well, PW, if you were as smart as 1997cst you'd have solved your problem already.

So what kind of brushes are we talkin about? Toothbrushes, bore brushes, push brushes...
              TOOTH BRUSHES....

Heck... I had no idea it had brushes either.... must have forgotten to drink a cold can of "Savant ICE Lager"...

Looked it up though...See page # 58 of the manual (page 62 of the PDF)

https://www.millerwelds.com/files/ow.../O492M_MIL.pdf

And I have absolutely no idea if they are related to your malady....
              Last edited by H80N; 11-11-2015, 05:54 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
              Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
              Dynasty 200DX
              Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
              Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

• Tryagn5
                • Apr 2009

Been my understanding a pipepro 304 is a genset with an xmt304 sealed up inside it. Regardless of make up the electricity to run any welder comes from the genset. So its going to have brushes.
                Lincoln ranger 305g x2
                Ln25
                Miller spectrum 625
                Miller 30a spoolgun
                Wc115a
                Lincoln 210mp
                F550 imt service truck

Comment

• H80N
                  • Nov 2003

Originally posted by Tryagn5 View Post
                  Been my understanding a pipepro 304 is a genset with an xmt304 sealed up inside it. Regardless of make up the electricity to run any welder comes from the genset. So its going to have brushes.

Not Always the Case... There are "Brushless Alternators"

Brushless alternators

A brushless alternator is composed of two alternators built end-to-end on one shaft. Smaller brushless alternators may look like one unit but the two parts are readily identifiable on the large versions. The larger of the two sections is the main alternator and the smaller one is the exciter. The exciter has stationary field coils and a rotating armature (power coils). The main alternator uses the opposite configuration with a rotating field and stationary armature. A bridge rectifier, called the rotating rectifier assembly, is mounted on the rotor. Neither brushes nor slip rings are used, which reduces the number of wearing parts. The main alternator has a rotating field as described above and a stationary armature (power generation windings).
                  Varying the amount of current through the stationary exciter field coils varies the 3-phase output from the exciter. This output is rectified by a rotating rectifier assembly, mounted on the rotor, and the resultant DC supplies the rotating field of the main alternator and hence alternator output. The result of all this is that a small DC exciter current indirectly controls the output of the main alternator.

Last edited by H80N; 11-13-2015, 08:15 AM.

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
                  Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                  Dynasty 200DX
                  Millermatic 200

Comment

• Tryagn5
                    • Apr 2009

Originally posted by H80N View Post

Not Always the Case... There are "Brushless Alternators"

Brushless alternators

A brushless alternator is composed of two alternators built end-to-end on one shaft. Smaller brushless alternators may look like one unit but the two parts are readily identifiable on the large versions. The larger of the two sections is the main alternator and the smaller one is the exciter. The exciter has stationary field coils and a rotating armature (power coils). The main alternator uses the opposite configuration with a rotating field and stationary armature. A https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridge_rectifier"]bridge rectifier[/URL], called the rotating rectifier assembly, is mounted on the rotor. Neither brushes nor slip rings are used, which reduces the number of wearing parts. The main alternator has a rotating field as described above and a stationary armature (power generation windings).
                    Varying the amount of current through the stationary exciter field coils varies the 3-phase output from the exciter. This output is rectified by a rotating rectifier assembly, mounted on the rotor, and the resultant DC supplies the rotating field of the main alternator and hence alternator output. The result of all this is that a small DC exciter current indirectly controls the output of the main alternator.

Yes thoose exist, but to size one to run a welder would cost about 50k and people would likely not buy a 70k machine. Every genset i work on has some sort of brushes. Dont think you will find an engine drive welder without rotor/brush design.
                    Lincoln ranger 305g x2
                    Ln25
                    Miller spectrum 625
                    Miller 30a spoolgun
                    Wc115a
                    Lincoln 210mp
                    F550 imt service truck

Comment

• H80N
                      • Nov 2003

Yes thoose exist, but to size one to run a welder would cost about 50k and people would likely not buy a 70k machine. Every genset i work on has some sort of brushes. Dont think you will find an engine drive welder without rotor/brush design.
                      Don't know where you grabbed that $50K price but I am finding 20KW head units in the $600 on up range...

https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt...p-t-901-s&fp=1

They're not rare ... exotic or expensive these days...

For what it's worth... brushless designs are quite common in the Engine Driven AUX power industry worldwide....
                      thruout the range.. 1KW - 900KW+........
                      including brands like Generac & Kohler

Last edited by H80N; 11-13-2015, 11:30 AM.

My Blue Stuff:
                      Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                      Dynasty 200DX
                      Millermatic 200

Comment

• Tryagn5
                        • Apr 2009

Originally posted by H80N View Post

Don't know where you grabbed that $50K price but I am finding 20KW head units in the $600 on up range...

https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt...p-t-901-s&fp=1

They're not rare ... exotic or expensive these days...

For what it's worth... brushless designs are quite common in the Engine Driven AUX power industry worldwide....
                        thruout the range.. 1KW - 900KW+........
                        including brands like Generac & Kohler

So show me a welder with this design. You wont find one. Also every industrial genset i have worked on is brush/slip/rotor. Pure wave dc comes this way.
                        Lincoln ranger 305g x2
                        Ln25
                        Miller spectrum 625
                        Miller 30a spoolgun
                        Wc115a
                        Lincoln 210mp
                        F550 imt service truck

Comment

• Tryagn5
                          • Apr 2009

Also as for my number justt referencing info from my genset/cummins classes. Ie onan/kohler gensets. Same question asked why a rotor..other ways had huge cost and limited applications vis load...etc
                          Lincoln ranger 305g x2
                          Ln25
                          Miller spectrum 625
                          Miller 30a spoolgun
                          Wc115a
                          Lincoln 210mp
                          F550 imt service truck

Comment

• H80N
                            • Nov 2003

What is this ?? Monty Python...??... the Black Knight...??

just because it is not in your experience does not make it disappear.....
                            Last edited by H80N; 11-13-2015, 02:13 PM.

My Blue Stuff:
                            Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                            Dynasty 200DX
                            Millermatic 200

Comment

• H80N
                              • Nov 2003

There are plenty of brushless gensets that could power an XMT304.... so why give "Portable Welder" a hard time for not being sure if it had brushes or not....????

Not ruling out a brush problem... since it has them...

SIMPLEY...That Not All Gensets Have Brushes.... ...
                              Last edited by H80N; 11-13-2015, 02:18 PM.

My Blue Stuff:
                              Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                              Dynasty 200DX
                              Millermatic 200

Comment

Working...
                              X