TIG water cooling hose rupture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TIG water cooling hose rupture

this is what happened to my TIG water cooler hose when I was really putting the amps to some thick aluminum welding....its a HF-P Dialarc 300 amp machine. the torch is a Heliarc HW-20 water cooled torch. We are running a coolmate from Lincoln. this ruptue was down within about a foot of where the lines come out of the machine.... actually before my torch hose-line cover. it looks like the water became steam!! is this just a matter of the coolmate and torch not being able to cool down enough with the amps I was putting to work?

dvice

Originally posted by dvice View Post
    this is what happened to my TIG water cooler hose when I was really putting the amps to some thick aluminum welding....its a HF-P Dialarc 300 amp machine. the torch is a Heliarc HW-20 water cooled torch. We are running a coolmate from Lincoln. this ruptue was down within about a foot of where the lines come out of the machine.... actually before my torch hose-line cover. it looks like the water became steam!! is this just a matter of the coolmate and torch not being able to cool down enough with the amps I was putting to work?

dvice
    Typical coolant line pressure is no greater than 60psi....

looks like you ran too many amps for too long on an undersized torch....

if you re going to max the machine... probably want to run a higher capacity torch... like an HW-18

there have also been a number of high amp rated torches in the HW-20 form factor introduced in the last few years

like a W-310

https://www.millerwelds.com/accessor...20-%20CS310-50

Last edited by H80N; 10-29-2015, 05:35 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Originally posted by dvice View Post

dvice
      Do you have the proper "antifreeze" in the cooler? Antifreeze also reduces the boiling point of the coolant.
      Been there, seen it.

Griff

Comment

The WP-20 is good for 250 Amps @ 100% Duty cycle....

For amperages above that... you need to reduce the duty cycle...

or risk cooking it....

https://www.arc-zone.com/index.php?m...h=13_727_18_25

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
        Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
        Dynasty 200DX
        Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
        Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

we don't run anti freeze!! we run distilled water only....

I think I may have just run into this because I was welding aluminum for a long time on the wrong setting...now I have it dialed in.,... the welding goes fast and I get a great puddle and just move it along

dvice.

Comment

Working...
          X