dialarc hf has no dc output.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dialarc hf has no dc output.

my old dialarc hf has no dc output in straight or reverse polarity. ac and hf works. any ideas on what to look for and how to fix and is it going to expensive?

Originally posted by Hoss View Post
    my old dialarc hf has no dc output in straight or reverse polarity. ac and hf works. any ideas on what to look for and how to fix and is it going to expensive?
    Serial Number PLS..... for correct version manual

First guess... something loose or maybe burnt contacts on the selector switch... FIG H2 in the manual

https://www.millerwelds.com/files/ow...s/O315_MIL.pdf
    Last edited by H80N; 10-28-2015, 05:56 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

serial number is HG064767

Comment

serial number is HG064767
        This looks like the correct manual for your serial#

https://www.millerwelds.com/files/ow.../O315C_MIL.pdf

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
        Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
        Dynasty 200DX
        Millermatic 200

Comment

Well, if you have AC, DC is there as well. Problem is likely with a loose burned winding before the DC rectifier. Or perhaps a problem with the AC/DC switch. Easy fix all the same.

Comment

thank you all. I will open it up and take alook.

Comment

I have a question. Is there a reason that no one has suggested the possibility of rectifier failure?
              Syncrowave 200, Millermatic 211, Victor torch, Propane forge....

Comment

Originally posted by raferguson View Post
                I have a question. Is there a reason that no one has suggested the possibility of rectifier failure?
                RA

Silicon diode rectifiers fail in a short... so there would still be output.. imperfect as it might be

this unit has an open circuit instead...
                Last edited by H80N; 10-30-2015, 07:16 PM.

My Blue Stuff:
                Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                Dynasty 200DX
                Millermatic 200

Comment

Man I'm glad you guys know that kind of stuff. Open rectifiers and closed diodes? I'll have it supersized please. My goodness I feel dumb!

Comment

Well I opened it up and I can't see anything loose. The contacts on the ac dc switch are dirty but show continuity with an ohm meter. So could it be somewhere else? I bought this thing for 500 to replace my old econotwin hf that finally died after 40 years of use. So if it is going to be really involved to fix I may return it. I am not sure that I understand everything I know about it. lol. Maybe at 73 I am to old to keep at this. It would be nice to get it working right because I still need it once in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                      Man I'm glad you guys know that kind of stuff. Open rectifiers and closed diodes? I'll have it supersized please. My goodness I feel dumb!
                      Ryan...

silicon diodes short circuit when they fail.... so the AC would come straight through instead of being rectified into DC

BUT... it sounds like this welder has NO output at all when DC selections are chosen.... that would indicate an open circuit....

Make sense..??

My Blue Stuff:
                      Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                      Dynasty 200DX
                      Millermatic 200

Comment

Well I opened it up and I can't see anything loose. The contacts on the ac dc switch are dirty but show continuity with an ohm meter. So could it be somewhere else? I bought this thing for 500 to replace my old econotwin hf that finally died after 40 years of use. So if it is going to be really involved to fix I may return it. I am not sure that I understand everything I know about it. lol. Maybe at 73 I am to old to keep at this. It would be nice to get it working right because I still need it once in a while.
                        Hoss

who did you buy it from?? a private party or LWS...??

too old..?? not hardly... I m only 10yrs your junior and intend to go way past...that

something is OPEN... if the selector switch checks out... I would start tracing back in the circuit...

with the power DISCONNECTED from the mains of course...

Last edited by H80N; 10-30-2015, 08:08 PM.

My Blue Stuff:
                        Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                        Dynasty 200DX
                        Millermatic 200

Comment

Well you know s--t happens. anyway I got it from a private party who says he will work with me ,so I will try to fix. I will let you know if I find anything. Tnx to you all.

Comment

Well you know s--t happens. anyway I got it from a private party who says he will work with me ,so I will try to fix. I will let you know if I find anything. Tnx to you all.
                            Could be something as simple as a loose bolt on a connector lug......

My Blue Stuff:
                            Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                            Dynasty 200DX
                            Millermatic 200

Comment

I have tried to trace it out and I am unable to find anything. I guess I will try to get my money back. I hate to throw in the towel but this seems to be beyond my abilities.

Comment

Working...
                              X