Welding on concrete crusher.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding on concrete crusher.

What type of wire or rod should be used to weld the Approximately 12,000 lb rotor that spins at 1800 rpm on a crusher plant.

The customer insisted on a rod made by Crown Alloys called Royal 220-M.

The sections I had to weld were 3" thick x about 9" long, I vee grooved it all the way out each side, preheated and welded, needle scaled between every pass.

This rod was horrible to work with out of position, on the flat it was beautiful, smooth and the flu x curled right up.

The tensile strength of the rod is 120,000 psi.

The rotor is the part that munches the concrete and turns it into 21AA or 1& 3

I loved 220M when I was a Millwright. We used it for everything...Bob
    Bob Wright

Comment

rod seems to be designed for bolts extractions, should be tricky to do vertical with it

http://www.crownalloys.com/TechSheet...ew_Warning.pdf

or
      http://www.crownalloys.com/TechSheet/R220.pdf
      Last edited by snowbird; 10-26-2015, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Sounds similar to nassau/Rockmount Brutus-A rod. Some maintenance rod companies sell their comparable rod as a weld anything to anything, extra strong, extra elongation, extra expensive rod. 120k-ish tensile and 30-ish % elongation. Ball park numbers of course.

Usually really good rods, also really pricey. Maybe your customer has had success in a repair using this stuff before and failures with other products.

Comment

In my opinion that stuff is waste of money. Even if the customer is pushing for that rod, and paying for it, I would rather use a rod that is suitable for that application. Rather than one is the highest priced. The customer is having you do the work for your welding skills, your equipment, and your knowledge. They should be relying on that for your choice of filler metal. I would try and find out what the base material of the crusher part is. Then more than likely a low hydrogen rod will me more than enough. There isn't much that 7018 thru 11018 won't work for in repairing equipment, or much else for that matter.

Comment

I'm assuming the reason they requested that Rod is its a WorkHardening Rod and a good build up material if using a harder or hard surface Rod overtop.
            A lot of times in these type applications a regular 7018 Rod will wash out in no time but a work Harding Rod will just get harder the more it's pounded.
            I've never used that Rod but in my experience I've never found one that runs good out of position, though they run great flat. Same thing with Hard Surface rods Kinda the nature of the beast!!
            As with Portable Welder, the good welders or experienced ones always find a way to get it on though in some places it's a Bear to work with

Comment

The position I was in required vertical up, they say run stringer beads which is great for the top, all I could do to prevent slag inclusions since you cannot run it up hill was to do horizontal stringers working from the bottom up, Thank god for the needle scaler which not only kept the slag out but also stress relieved and peened as well.

I had thought a 11018 would be a good choice due to the tensile strength.
              However, GN Forge makes a good point about it work hardening, Would the 11018 also wash out like a 7018.

Comment

I just got off the phone with Crown alloys and he recommends a Royal 13-25 FC in Flux core wire form and Royal 235 in arc welding rod. so I have a better answer now.

Comment

So what was the reason the customer requested the use of the magical royal 220-m? Sounds like you got some good help from the manufactorer though, which is always good.

Comment

The reason I used the Royal 220 is that the company that he usually uses, couldnt make it so he called me at 4:45 pm Friday night and wanted me there at day brake the next morning and all he could get was the rod they used the last time.

I will have the right stuff on my shelf for future customers.

Comment

Yep that's the only way I've been able to do it with those type rods. Short stringers & work your way up, not fun but doable.
                      I've also switched to wire over rods, better but still not easy.
                      Im using postalloy for my hard surface and build up now, just never tried crown royal for that application but just bought there cast wire and really like it, will buy it again. Although I don't think they manufacture there own wire.
                      My guess is if the 7018 will wash out so will 11018, more of hardness issue than strength.
                      Looks like you have a handle on it. Our work can be a challenge by times that's why we love it.
                      Keep up the good work

Comment

I've tried crown royal, good stuff. Almost a shame to mix it with anything, but I don't have an iron stomach so I have to.

Glad to hear you're getting you're getting your rock crusher up and running. What hard facing alloy are you using? Or is that not part of the job?

Comment

My guess would be, that this new wire I have coming 13-25FC would be good for welding up broken cutting edges and for attatching shanks to the cutting edge, where the cutting edge attaches to the AR plate I would use E71 Elite and cap with a hard face.

MMW welds on alot bore equipment than I do so I would like to hear what he says.

Comment

Working...
                          X