Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cruizer
    replied
    OK, had a looksee in the service book. there is only 1 board, and thats a filter for the remote control. If the unit has auxillary power, it has weld power. if it has AC power, it has DC power. the slip rings are likely really dirty so the brushes are not making proper contact. Plus the engine rpm is not at the recommended 62.5HZ high 38HZ low

Now the guy with the Ranger, reading the post, he left his machine for long periods, thus his slip rings corroded ( brass tends to do that) , and his machine was never set to the correct RPM. The control board will pop if the RPM is too low, or not recieving clean power, another obvious thing.

Leave a comment:

• tommy2069
    replied
    well my deal wouldn't be bad for 400 if the generator puts out 8k watts but after reading that post I don't think I would drop money into it to fix the welder part of it.

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    Here is a thread from WW that might be an eye opener..

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...r-250-problems

A post from there
    Re: ranger 250 problems
    "Hello pipefitterlu42:
    Unfortunately, I have some expensive experience in the loss of stick welding on a Lincoln Ranger 250. I bought the machine new. Used it for about 3 years with a total machine time of 225 hours. Nothing unusual. The welder spent most of its time on a trailer parked in a carport. It has the remote amperage control option that I find quite useful. Anyway, after three years, it lost the ability to stick weld in the exact manner you describe. I ended up having it serviced at a major repair facility in Seattle. Cost = $1,000 plus two trips to Seattle. They replaced a failed circuit board.
    But wait, there's more.... Another 3 years have gone by. The hour meter now says 275 hours. Again the same symptoms you describe. Again it will no longer stick weld. Egads! What a lemon. I am again facing a $1000 repair. I bought it new from Prax Air for $2900. My repairs could equal $2000 plus 4 days lost transporting it to Seattle. At this point I may decide to leave it in service solely as an 8000 watt generator. Next to it on the trailer is my 240 volt Miller 175 wire feed which has been nearly trouble free. For sure I will miss stick welding for a lot of my business is building up worn out cutting surfaces on heavy equipment buckets and teeth. If anyone on this forum represents Lincoln Electric, I have but one request. Help."

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    Sounds like an easy way to flush some hard earned cash....

I would RUN..!!!!........

Can't earn much money with a broke machine... no matter how much of a "Good Deal" it looks like..

How do you even know it will make reliable safe AC power...??

Leave a comment:

• Sberry
    replied
    Its already broke, why start off on that foot?

Leave a comment:

• tommy2069
    replied
    I came across the same model machine at the company I work for. they told me it welds but the arc is unstable they selling it to me for 400.00 gonna buy it when I get back in from offshore. the machine itself is in very good condition cosmetically it has 2k hours on it . I figured if it doesn't weld good I can always use it for a parts machine or even a generator to run stuff on the job sites.

Leave a comment:

• skeeballhead
    started a topic welder generator

welder generator

OK, so I know this is a Ranger 250GXT I am gonna talk about but this forum is tops. Anyway, somebody selling a Lincoln Ranger 250GXT welder/generator. He says that it won't weld in DC mode and that AC won't weld good unless it is cranked up. Has 1300 hours. He is asking $1500 which is steep but I am sure negotiable. Anyway, would anyone have any ideas what would/could be causing that?
Working...
X