TB 302 with kohler or TB Pro 350D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TB 302 with kohler or TB Pro 350D

Which one is better? Real world not on paper.

I will be running a Plasma (2050 miller unit), Suitcase 12RC, and posible a spoolgun of some sorts not sure yet.

Which one would you own the Gas or diesel. In 5years which one is going to hold up better and have more resale value?

Gary
    Dry Creek Welding
    Dynasty 300DX Tigrunner
    Trailblazer 302
    Spectrum 2050
    suitcase 12RC

the diesel of course. Also Ive been told by HAWK that the pro350d is a far superior machine than the trailblazer.
    Trailblazer 302g
    coolmate4
    hf-251d-1
    super s-32p
    you can never know enough

Comment

i think the diesel will hold up better and have a longer life. thats what i would get.

Comment

Ok is seems that the diesel would be the better choice, I feel that it is also just wanted to get your fellings.

Now will the equipment hook up the same for the 12RC suitcase with the 14pin cable??

What about a spoolgun?

Gary
        Dry Creek Welding
        Dynasty 300DX Tigrunner
        Trailblazer 302
        Spectrum 2050
        suitcase 12RC

Comment

Diesel is much more durable in the long haul. A gas engine with good maintainence will last 2-3000 hours and a diesel will go 3-5000 hours. A third to half again longer life is why diesels cost more. I've owned diesel tractors with Kubota engines and similar tractors with gas and the Kubota had over 4500 hours on it when I sold it, and it burned a half a quart of oil every 50 hours{that was an oil change interval for me}!

Just my .02

Comment

http://millerwelds.com/products/engi...pro_300_cc_cv/
            If you need AC then it might not work for you, but I would plug a ac/dc inverter into it.

You want it to last buy this one. 3600 rpm sucks

Comment

In my experiance pjseaman is being VERY conservative in estimating the life span of small diesels. Working with diesels is how I pay the bills. In refrigerated trailers running small Kubota's we expect at least 15,000 to 20,000 hrs of service minimum. Even in far harsher duty I'd bet 10,000 hrs would be on the low side. Just remember the keys for long life:
              -clean oil
              -clean fuel
              -clean air
              -Quality oil & fuel
              -proper coolant system care
              -avoid excess idling, especially at low RPM.
              You don't need miracle oils & additives for long life, just proper preventative maintenance.
              Manny

Comment

Manny your probably right but I know 4500hrs on mine it burned nearly no oil, and I don't exagerate I know 5000 hrs is attainable and I know gas engines with the same maintainence records lasted only 2200 hrs and boom all done!

Peace,

Comment

Welding machine differences aside, how many replacement gas engines or rebuilds could you buy for the price difference of the diesel engine?

Don't get me wrong, I like my diesel engines, but the long life and lower operating RPM's do have a cost. Diesel engines are also a little more tempermental in cold weather. I would love a diesel powered machine, but will have to get a gas engine driven machine due to the initial purchase price difference.

Comment

From my experience, I look at the longevity of the diesel as a bonus. You should save more than the initial cost of the diesel in fuel alone over the life of the machine.

Comment

You need to consider the annual hours put on the machine, then decide which is best for you.
                      My last welder, I was set on a Classic 300D, but instead went with a Ranger 305-G, Won,t last as long, but was 1/3 the price, great arc, and smaller and lighter, something that matters for a portable machine.
                      JH
                      Jeff

Comment

350d

I own a 304 Pipe Pro. It is similar to the 350D with some distinct differences. The weld at idle feature is very nice. I usually get about 30 hours out of a tank. The weld charactaristic of the 304 is the best I've ever used. The 350D would be my choice over the Trailblazer. You will have the 350D much longer. I've owned a trailblazer and thought it was a great machine. Now that I own the 304 and use it every day, I am glad I spent the money for the better machine. I also recommend the 8rc suite case over the 12rc. It is lighter and easier move around with 20lbs less wire. It all depends on how its being used.

Happy Shopping,
                        Doug T.
                        I BLEED BLUE!

Comment

Vantage 300

For a compact, durable and economical engine drive my pick would be Lincoln's Vantage 300. I have owned Miller, including a Pipepro; and I really prefer the Vantage. It is a low rpm engine too; which for the longevity and quietness was a big factor in my decision. Shop wiaely; just don't get fixated on Blue.

Comment

Well not sure what i going to get ATM but its looking like the TB 302!

The reason i am going with all blue its easier to hook up accessories to it. In the past miller has been better then every lincoln i have ever used so that says a lot.

So now I found out yesterday that my business load is final approval so now time to do some shopping. When spending over 10k on welding equipment alone i need to get the best deal.

Gary
                            Dry Creek Welding
                            Dynasty 300DX Tigrunner
                            Trailblazer 302
                            Spectrum 2050
                            suitcase 12RC

Comment

Hi Gary, I have been a Portable welder since 1989 I run Mig 50% of the time I have two welding rigs on the road and weld on everything under the sun, I have two Trail blazers and one Miller Pipe pro. If you are going to get the TB Pro I would suggest getting the Pipe Pro, other than not being able to do tig aluminum and it having a ****ty arc characteristic when mig welding below 12Ga steel, it has the best arc of any machine on the market.
                              On my other truck Ihave the new Trail Blazer 302. If I were you and it sounds like you are just starting out I would buy the Trail Blazer 302, one of the guys mentiones getting the smaller 8Rc Feeder that holds the 11LB spool that was also good advise, I have 3 suit case feeders I run .035 solid wire in two of them and when I have to do a heavy cutting edge I run my other feeder with .045 dual shield wire. If your new in business and things dont work out its easier to sell a $ 3500.00 welder than a $ 10,000.00 welder
                              The diesel welder may last longer but the 302 is half the price.
                              I like to sell my old Trail Blazer after the the 3 year warranty runs out for $1200.00 and get a new one with another 3 year warranty
                              I also run a miller 2050 spectrum Plazma when doing sheet matal work of my machines, Good luck in business, another tip get Quick disconects for the feeder so you can quickly disconect it and put it in the tool box, I share the ground and hav one lead when I want to arc weld but when I want to mig weld I tape my 75' 14Pin contacter cable, 75' inert gas hose and 75' of heavy power cable together. Hope this helps. another tip
                              I carry one of the old chrome water filled extinguisher with me at all times it has come in handy more than once and I dont hesitate to use it case to gecharge it costs less than a penny.

Comment

Working...
                              X