Welding Magnets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding Magnets

I just bought 9 welding magnets off of ebay recently just got them today.
    I was wondering if they will mess up the welding arc or ground clamp or anything else.
    I will be useing them with MIG,TIG,STICK,AND PLASMA CUTTING.

I have always found that welding tig on a part near a magnet was difficult but give it a go maybe its hust me
    Trailblazer 302g
    coolmate4
    hf-251d-1
    super s-32p
    you can never know enough

Comment

I personaly dont like useing magnets and avoid them when ever possible.Although when I have used them I removed them as soon as possible and never realy had a problem with them.I recently had to use magnets on a fuel tank project to hold 20 guage sheet metal in place and tacked it in place with tig before removeing the magnets and tigging the project to compleation.I saw no problem with the magnets but I've heard from other people that they can pull the arc.
      To all who contribute to this board.
      My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
      Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
      Miller Syncrowave 250
      Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

Comment

Hey Richie,
        When my Tig instructor was here he had me clamp some test pieces to the bench with a spring clamp. When I reached for one of my magnets he told me not to use them when I tigging. He said it would effect the arc characteristics.
        Bulldog
        5 Passport Pluses
        2 MM 212's
        MM 210
        MM 251 MIA
        MM 350 P w/Python
        Syncrowave 250
        w/ tig runner
        Trailblazer 302
        12RC w/meters
        Spectrum 1000
        Spectrum 2050
        2 Black BWEs
        Joker BWE
        Star & stripe BWE Digital
        2 star & stripe xlix's

REAL TRUCKS RATTLE
        CUMMINS BABY

Comment

Originally posted by dyn88
          I have always found that welding tig on a part near a magnet was difficult but give it a go maybe its hust me
          dyn88 is right. I have experienced the same thing at times. Seemed like I can get away with it every once in a while but most times the arc starts acting funny. You can always give it a go on some mocked up scrap and see what happens.
          Dynasty 350DX
          Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
          MM 350P
          MM Passport Plus
          Spectrum 375 Extreme
          08' Trailblazer 302

Comment

Magnets don't get along well with direct current. If you plan to use them, keep them well away from the arc area. Even doing that, you will occasionally get some influence, depending on how your weldment and the magnetic poles wind up alingning. I've seen the effect is MIG and stick welding. I don't TIG at this point, so it's an unknown to me.

Hank
            ...from the Gadget Garage
            Millermatic 210 w/3035, BWE
            Handler 210 w/DP3035
            TA185TSW
            Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange

Comment

I have used them when I need to tack some pieces when I mig but thats only if I have no other option or I need a quick fix.
              MM210 w/3035
              Next up - Sync 200

Comment

Mag Interference

I also have seen a notable change in the way a mig weld lays down near a magnet. I have always wonedered if those magnetic ground lead attachments caused the same effect.

Comment

Used them Both

Nothing like having that second set of hands,I been using them for years,a nd use them for tacking only, and the mag. ground is GREAT, even throug rust,Jack

Comment

I've definately experienced magnetic influence with the mig. Physics I guess.
                    Miller 350P XR push/pull
                    Miller 250 DX
                    Spectrum 2050 Plasma

Comment

magnet ground

i love the magnet ground, and use magnets a lot for MIG but take the magnets off after i tack it (saves the magnet )
                      thanks for the help
                      ......or..........
                      hope i helped
                      sigpic
                      feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
                      summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                      JAMES

Comment

It's physics, and how electric motors, cyclotrons, etc. work: a current passing through a magnetic field produces a force at right angles to both.

Comment

Some information welding around magnets

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arc_blow

https://forum.millerwelds.com/forum/...63546-arc-blow
                          Miller Dynasty 350, Dynasty 210 DX, Hypertherm 1000, Thermal Arc GTSW400, Airco Heliwelder II, oxy-fuel setup, metal cutting bandsaw, air compressor, drill press, large first aid kit, etc.

Call me the "Clouseau" of welding !

Comment

Originally posted by richie View Post
                            I just bought 9 welding magnets off of ebay recently just got them today.
                            I was wondering if they will mess up the welding arc or ground clamp or anything else.
                            I will be useing them with MIG,TIG,STICK,AND PLASMA CUTTING.
                            Magnets can cause problems with your welding. But, not always.

Griff

Comment

I rarely use those magnets, but when I do, it's strictly for positioning and tacking.

Comment

Working...
                              X