Poor Shop Safety on TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor Shop Safety on TV

Last night after work I was watching "Orange County Choppers" on my TIVO, and decided to slow down some of the welding closeups to frame by frame rate to observe the processes in detail. I noticed that Paul Jr. and Vinnie were MIG welding and tacking in short T sleeve shirts without any face and eye protection and without gloves. Paulie was also holding the MIG torch by the metal ring behind the tip with his bare hands. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this a good way to get burned and shocked at the same time? I'm not that experienced at welding, but at least I know that one should wear a quality helmet, leather gloves, and a long sleeve collared shirt or jacket made of nonflammable material. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the show and seeing what they'll come up with next, but this sets as bad an example for our young people interested in metalwork as the show "Jackass" sets for our youth in general. I have always believed in proper shop safety especially after I got my A$$ paddled in 7th grade metal shop for drilling something without safety glasses and with my one of my buddies standing too close to the machine. The shop teacher was a big SOB, too. I frequently see him at the hardware store and we always chat. I certainly don't harbor any hard feelings about the paddling 22 years later. People can think that they are so skilled at something that an accident won't befall them, but this is not true at all. I have always had an interest in electronics and learned to solder at about the age of 10. I'm in my early 30's now and a few years ago I was replacing some components in an audio mixer when capacitor that I was soldering to a PC board exploded. I later found the problem to be that the capacitor was not sealed properly by the manufacturer and the heat from the soldering, which should not have bothered it, caused it to explode. I ended up with some foil and solder fragments in my eyes. I had to visit the eye doctor a few times, but no permanent damage. Now I wear safety glasses for everything. I previously never felt a need to wear them when soldering, so I speak from experience on this matter.

We should write letters to their sponsors, vowing to not buy their products until these guys start using proper safety measures.

Comment

I agree with the letter writing. Monster Garage cleaned up a little on the language. Jesse always says be careful what you say there are little kids watching (and learning). Also i would get my butt beat the first time i tacked a part next to fresh chrome or paint. Yes those little sparks do stick. You really don't notice them until the first rain, then comes the rust. So you have a chance of hurting yourself plus trashing the parts. I pretty much gave up watching all those shows, i am tired of all the bickering. Yes American Hot Rod is cool but those guys could keep their mouths shut a little more...Bob
      Bob Wright

Comment

This subject has been discussed a lot on other forrums and several people have written to the producers.The one thing I've noticed that may have resulted from the letters is the show discriptions on my tv channel guide have changed from [How Too] to [Game Show].
        To all who contribute to this board.
        My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
        Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
        Miller Syncrowave 250
        Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

Comment

And these are the "professionals" that EsaBOY bragged about using ESAB welders.......DOESN'T IMPRESS ME!!!
          Watching OCC was the first time I ever saw anyone tack weld with no helmet OR safety goggles!! I do like to watch those shows but as you mentioned some of their techniques are questionable.....no STUPID!!

Thanks,

PJ
          Thanks,

PJ

Miller AC/DC Thunderbolt
          MM 210 + spoolmate

Comment

Guy's I agree about safty but there not my eyes these guy's are adults. I do see alot of people drive without seat belts, what are you going to do? I was a pipefitter in a stainless steel shop we wore shorts and t shirts. In the summer when it's ungodly hot I was thankful I could, did I ever weld in the t-shirt and shorts yes only tiging not migging. Was it careless maybe, but It wasn't production welding And I could work 12 hours with a white t on and come home spotless. I just wonder how much these guys really weld aren't there bike mostly catalog builds anyway.
            Dynasty 200dx
            180sd
            Sp135+
            pro-cut25
            8 SEC Firebird (10") tire

Comment

The problem I see is not the safety of the tv personalities but rather the image they set for young impreasionable viewers.
              To all who contribute to this board.
              My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
              Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
              Miller Syncrowave 250
              Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

Comment

"I was a pipefitter in a stainless steel shop we wore shorts and t shirts. In the summer when it's ungodly hot I was thankful I could, did I ever weld in the t-shirt and shorts yes only tiging not migging. Was it careless maybe, but It wasn't production welding And I could work 12 hours with a white t on and come home spotless. I just wonder how much these guys really weld aren't there bike mostly catalog builds anyway."

Tigging seems to shoot out a lot less sparks than migging. Did you still wear eye protection? If you get a spark burn on your arm, it may hurt but will not be too serious. If you burn your eyes, it's another matter. Also, for those that must weld in short sleeves, a good sunscreen of SPF 30 or higher is recommended for protection against UV radiation. Those guys on TV should be old enough and experienced enough to know what they are doing and what could happen if something goes wrong and they are not protected. In watching the show I noticed that they use prefabricated frames and sometimes fuel tanks, but fabricate most of the rest themselves. This is for the theme bikes featured on TV. Don't know what they do with their other bikes off of their regular production line, which they don't show.

"The problem I see is not the safety of the tv personalities but rather the image they set for young impressionable viewers."
                My point exactly.

Comment

Good post...But it's beating the dead horse syndrom. I wish I could jump thru the TV and shake them till they listened. One trip to the ER or the eye doctor would change their habits I guarantee it. Good point about wearing glasses all the time. It's good to wear them under your welding mask for the errant sparks and slags. I can't believe all the times I've had hot flying metal under my welding mask next to my eyeballs. Yes, Murphy is alive and well around where I work. BTW, Please wear protection from UV when tigging. It's sends out some nasty UV. Lets be safe out there....
                  Wheat Stalker

Millermatic 210
                  Dynasty 200DX
                  Fisher CZ-5...CZ-3D..
                  Trek 5500
                  1966 Amphicar

Comment

I wear glasses anyway, but I agree better over your eyes than on your head .As far as tig and sparks stainless welds alot cleaner than carbon. Remebering back I do believe I did wear sun screen.
                    Dynasty 200dx
                    180sd
                    Sp135+
                    pro-cut25

Comment

T shirts and SPF 30 sunscreen, been there done that. I used to go home after a 12 hour day and have the pocket of the t shirt outlined on my chest i guess the double wall of material helped in that spot. The guy welding next to me used to burn the back of my neck from his tig arc...Bob
                      Bob Wright

Comment

Sure I didn't work next to you.lol
                        Dynasty 200dx
                        180sd
                        Sp135+
                        pro-cut25

Comment

Done it all

And being 100% Irish I burn like a lobster!!!!!used double 30 sunscrren when it was so hot and inside a tank, burning 5/32 Jet all day long, had 3 pairs of gloves and put a long sleeve shirt on for a hour or to,Got my zaps, the sunscreen was the best, but gota greese up every half hr., and being a hand shild nut the inner arms 4 x the sun screen and you still left burnt, But could have went to collage ,But I would not trade this trade for anything,,,Jack

Comment

I agree with you fellows, and am an advocate for safety. I do not make my living welding. I am an advanced hobbiest, and the poor image kinda ticks me off putting that image in the mind of young children. Here is an earlier post by me.
                            http://www.millermotorsports.com/mbo...+professionals

The side bar is that my wife is recovering well, cancer free.

I have spent a large chunk of cash, for safety equipment and as an amature this is an even larger chunk since there isn't any tax deduction.

Weld well, Weld safe,

Comment

while I am a big advocate on safety issues....... you cant change people...I am always amazes at the chances people take....is it stupidity I ask myself or just laziness ?

some examples- tanks on the back of a welding rig with the regualtors on instead of the safety caps.....

hearing protection ? WHAT ??? cant hear you.......

eye protection......doctor visits get expensive compared to safety glasses -

proper clothing ..including steel toed boots !

the worst that I do is not wearing gloves while tiggin or short sleeve t shirts in the summer........Shorts are a no no !

yet people still smoke ciggerates, drink and drive, dont use rubbers......do drugs....ect ect...... point being is that you cannot change people-

just keep yourself safe and you will be okay !

dawg

Comment

Working...
                              X