cleaning gas cups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cleaning gas cups

I have been getting a fuzzy metalic build up on my tig gas cup.Being new to tig welding I'm not sure if this is natural or if it has something to do with my technique.At any rate,it dawned on me that these pink gas cups are made out of the same material as my honeing stones for my carving knives and when they get dirty I clean them with vinigar.I tryed soaking my gas cups over night in vinigar and they came out clean as a whistle and they work just fine.I dont realy know if that build up afects arc wandering or not but they sure look better.
    To all who contribute to this board.
    My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
    Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
    Miller Syncrowave 250
    Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

interesting. i'll have to try that. thanx

Comment

Thanks for that info, I was getting some build up on mine, I will try that also.
      Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
      Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
      Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
      Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

Comment

Just for a goof I tryed sharpening a utility knife with an old gas cup and that worked pretty good too.

Pureox OA
        Miller Syncrowave 250

Comment

Thanks, that's good to know since I just noticed that mine are starting to look a little dirty.

Comment

Burninbriar, Am I missing something? I tried the soaking method with the cups overnite but did not seemd too cleen coming out.. Are you using some nuclear vinegar of sort? Are you brushing them afterwords?
            Tnx.

Comment

Originally posted by Bubba
              Burninbriar, Am I missing something? I tried the soaking method with the cups overnite but did not seemd too cleen coming out.. Are you using some nuclear vinegar of sort? Are you brushing them afterwords?
              Tnx.
              You do have to wipe them off with a paper towel.I just use regular white vinager.It might not work if you were welding SS? Also it might only work on the pink cups but it works every time for me.
              Any one else try it ?

Pureox OA
              Miller Syncrowave 250

Comment

Just want to add that a Qtip makes it easyer to wipe the inside.

Pureox OA
                Miller Syncrowave 250

Comment

Originally posted by burninbriar
                  You do have to wipe them off with a paper towel.I just use regular white vinager.It might not work if you were welding SS? Also it might only work on the pink cups but it works every time for me.
                  Any one else try it ?
                  I wanted to but my wife used all the vinager to clean the coffee pot I will try it when I set some more though.
                  Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
                  Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
                  Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
                  Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

Comment

Allrighty than. I was just looking at them soaking I thought that the vinegar will desolv the stuff on them. So I'll nodge them a bit more. I have the Alumina pink cups. I did not do stainless with them only Steel and Aluminum.

Thnx.

Comment

I reread my original post and I can see how it may have been missleading.A paper towell and Qtip is all that it takes to wipe it off.I tryed scrapeing one with out doing any thing to it first and it just broke,thats when it dawned on me to try the vinagar.Carving is another hobby of mine and the vinager is a well known meathod for cleaning the alumina honeing stones.

Pureox OA
                      Miller Syncrowave 250

Comment

I tried it on a lightly stained cup, cleaned it up nicely.

Comment

Anyone try dropping them in some diluted muriatic acid?

Comment

Working...
                          X