Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3003 to 6061 Aluminum ?

Hello,
    I build custom intake manifolds for import/sport compact cars, mostly turbo cars. Most of the peices I have waterjet cut locally. The plenums are made from 1/8" thick, and the bottom of the plenum where the runners go into is made from 3/16" thick. I usually use all 6061, but the waterjet shop only has the 3/16" in stock in 3003. I kinda need this stuff ASAP, so im wondering how well does 3003 weld to 6061? Does it polish as nice? Any concerns for strength, with 3003, the manifolds can see as much as 35psi boost. Ive heard 4043 is the filler of choice when joining 3003 to 6061, this true? I only have 4043 and 5356 filler. Thanks for all the help!

Heres a pic of the manifold:
    http://www.jmfabrications.com/images.../smintake4.jpg

Jim
    Lincoln Precision TIG 375
    Lincoln Power MIG 255
    Lincoln Pro Cut 80
    Miller Elite Red Flame

1st choice 4043, 2nd choice 4047.

I doubt that 35 psi would be any trouble for that thickness of 3003. The 3003 doesn't have the strength that 6061 has and I can't tell ya about the polish as I have never polished the 3003 before but don't know why it wouldn't just fine. Outside of that, the 3003 will weld fine to the 6061. You could always as them for a small scrap piece to try and weld and do a quick polish.

Let us know

Andy

Comment

they will weld together just fine. but if you have to place a bead in the center of 3003, with 4043, and then polish it. such as to fix a blemish. you will be able to tell where the bead was. the bead is harder, and will polish shinyer.

nice manifold. how did you shape the runners ?

i would like to make my own manifold. but i don't have the experience to do it, yet, if ever

Comment

Nice manifold Jim. One question. Are you using the throttle bodies for the application of the car..I.E. honda, mitsu etc. cause it looks like a flange for the Ford 5.0 thottle body family in the pic you posted. I made a box for my eaton blower on a 5.0 project. Looks good though.

T.J.
        www.tjsperformance.com
        Miller Dynasty 300DX
        HTP MIG 240
        HTP 380 Plasma

Bridgeport Milling Machine
        South Bend Lathe
        Etc. Etc....
        tjsperformance.com

Comment

Thanks guys for all your help, I went ahead with the order, im sure everything will be fine.

S-10
          To shape the runners, I got a 1" thick piece of alum, had the port shape waterjet cut into it, , then cut it in 1/2, I put the runner in it, then squeeze it in my shop press, comes out real nice, ill take pics sometime...

TJS
          The manifold pictured was for the Talon/Eclipse, I offer them flanged with the stock 60mm TB, or the common upgrade for those cars is to use the Accufab 75mm 4.6 Mustang TB, the TPS is very similar, so I offer both flanges.....

Thanks again guys,
          Jim
          Lincoln Precision TIG 375
          Lincoln Power MIG 255
          Lincoln Pro Cut 80
          Miller Elite Red Flame

Comment

Working...
          X