Stick vs. Mig vs. Tig strength

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stick vs. Mig vs. Tig strength

I have see a few places that Mig welds are the weakest of the three. Assuming the welder knows what he is doing, I find this hard to believe. True or not?

You may have heard or read that because MIG is the least accurate of the 3 so even experienced welders have a greater chance "missing the mark" . It's hard to see around a mig gun , with tig and stick you are looking directly at what you're doing. As for weaker a 7018 welding rod is 70,000 psi tensile strength which I think is the same as most mig wire. Maybe someone else can elaborate on this.

Comment

Kind of depends on the operator. If you pull the mig gun, you sill have a tough time seeing the joint. Pushing the gun into the joint always gives you a better view of where you are going. Each process has its place. On a given material like 1/4 and under, all three will be totally fine. Throw a little outside contamination in the mix and stick is the way to go. Need precision fine welding then go TIG. Production loves mig. Each has it's own place in life

A-

Comment

Working...
      X