No announcement yet.

Bottom of the bottle argon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I own both my bottles,the 155 I bought used and exchange it when emty.I bought the 80 brand new and use it to keep me going when the 155 goes emty.Since the small 80 sits a long time between refills I decided to refill it instead of exchange becouse its brand new and the valve should be trust worthy.Also being brand new I figure this is a good fall back incase I have welding problems.What I mean by that is I know that tank has only had argon in it becouse I bought it brand new.Ironicly thats the bottle giveing me the trouble.
    To all who contribute to this board.
    My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
    Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
    Miller Syncrowave 250
    Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

Comment

Originally posted by burninbriar
      cylinder upside down

BE CAREFUL!

one slip and you'll have a giant bottle rocket (pun intended) on your hands

Comment

Originally posted by grocery_getter

Now I switch and only use pre-purified argon. These guys have their own commited Argon tank and the gas is pure to 99.9998%. Now we are cooking with real gas (pun intended)

Andre

I think you have too many 9s.

99.9998 is not avaliable
        99.9997 is Research Grade 5.7
        99.9995 is Ultra Carrier Grade 5.5
        99.999 is Ultra High Purity Grade 5.0
        99.998 is Zero Grade 0.5 (Zero THC Total Hydrocarbons)
        or PrePurified Grade 4.8

I dont use cylinders. My argon is drawn off of liquid. The purity of cryogenic argon is excellent, without spending too much.

Also, if you went to the extent of getting PP argon, without changing to a high purity gas solinoid, and high quality gas line (pre-outgased tubing) you are re-contaminating your argon before it leaves your torch. Look at the pic and see what the difference can be between 2 types of hose.

We use actuated stainless ball valves instead of the factory solinoid, rigid stainless tubing, and HP flex line to the torch.
        Attached Files

Comment

I talked to my gas supplyer today and he claims that all the argon bottles are put under a vacume befor filling to remove impureitys.He told me another big customer complaines of the same problem every now and then.He has no explanation for it but acknowledges that it does happen.

Pureox OA
          Miller Syncrowave 250

Comment

The mystery is....why did the gas work fine until it got down to 300 psig ???

I have been involved in mixing argon mixes, and in troubleshooting argon filling procedures on more than one occaision.

It is a wives tale that gas stratifies, or layers itself in a cylinder. True, when you first fill a cylinder, especially if a liquid, such as CO2 is added first, then filled immediately with high pressure argon, the CO2 will stay in the bottom.With this condition, you will have a mix richer in argon at the top of the tank, and richer in CO2 at the bottom. So with a 75 Argon/25CO2 mix, in a cylinder without a dip tube, you may start out at 95% Argon/5% CO2, and end up with a mix of maybe 65% Argon/35% CO2. That is if you use the tank the day it was filled, or shortly thereafter. If the tank sits for a week, the mix will become more accurate, with, depending on ambient temps and the amount the cylider is moved, the mix reaching proper proportions in 2-3 weeks. I have tested it, in our facility, and at customers, and it has always held true.

In the old days, fill plants rolled cylinders, on a set of turning rolls, or sometimes just by laying them on the floor and kicking them back and forth...HONEST! It works! Tested, more than once, 100% success.

But, with ambient air, or its two major components, Nitrogen and Oxygen. While some stratification can occurr in the filling operation, you will always get some contamination, even if using the gas soon after filling. We had a blow-off valve back leaking when we were filling argon. It let a small amount of ambient air into the fill manifold when we filled. The argon still tested over 99% Pure. Nobody welding Aluminum with the mig process ever reported a problem. But, a large Tig user had major problems. They had those problems with Full Cylinders, half full cylinders, and nearly empty cylinders. In other words the ambient air was pretty much spread throughout the entire contents of the cylinder. PP grade Argon made the problem go away, but it took us quite some time to find that leaking blow-off valve. Running the vacum pump with just one small cylinder on the manifold, and failing to reach a vacum higher than 32-33 inches, told us we had a problem. Finding that small leak was a long process, but when we did, the customer went back to regular argon, problem solved.

So after many years of playing with Argon, and mixes, I do not doubt for one minute that you had a bad tank of gas, but I can't subscribe to the "new bottle" or "forgot to Vacum" theory. The fact that the fill plant admits to having problems elsewhere with their gas, sounds like a problem to me. If you ever get a definitive answer as to what the problem was, I would sure like to hear it.

Comment

I did not mean to imply that the problem was coused becouse the bottle is new or that it was not vacumed.I just repeated what the supplyer told me.Even if I never have the problem again I would still like to know the anser and if I find it I will post it for others to read.I am not the only one who experianced this problem as evident in these posts and by word of my supplyer.

Pureox OA
              Miller Syncrowave 250

Comment

Working...
              X