• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Trap Doctor
    • Sep 2005

Plasma Cutting Equipment, Be Ware!!

Plasma Cutter used to Braze & Cut with!

I have used a Hypertherm plasma cutter for years at my old shop. I could push the torch handle button and the arc would start 2 foot away from the work piece of ground cable. If the part was lying on the weld table where the work ground was attached, I could TIG, Braze or cut parts without any problem!!

I got a really deal on an ESAB 380 unit, spent many hours designing the brackets to hold addition water separators. After completing the installation I found out the torch head has to be within 1/16” of the work piece before the torch will light up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so mad at myself for not testing the ESAB prior to purchasing!!!! I just assumed that all plasma cutters worked the same way. Buyer be ware!!! Always test, Demo, use/rent the equipment you’re going to purchase, prior to buying it.

Oh, by the way all my Miller equipment is working well. The operator needs more practice on cast aluminum trap bases.

Jim
  • Scott V
    • Jan 2007

No pilot arc on that little crappy Esab (import). Your fun has just started, because the model you have will blow up real loud and good!!!! Now this Esab would make your Hypertherm looking for cover.
    Attached Files

Comment

• taz
      • Mar 2005

Thanks for the info in this thread. I was considering an HTP plasma machine. Will obviously rethink THAT!

Comment

• GTA/SPEC
        • Feb 2004

Hey Scott,

Think your 1500s big? I have an ESP 200. Yes, 200 amps of plasma. And yes, its an import. Heck, its pilot arc has more output than your 1500.

Comment

• Scott V
          • Jan 2007

Originally posted by GTA/SPEC
          Hey Scott,

Think your 1500s big? I have an ESP 200. Yes, 200 amps of plasma. And yes, its an import. Heck, its pilot arc has more output than your 1500.
          Cool, how it work on single phase power?

I could buy new (old stock) a 100 amp machine Esab really cheap $2000.00 but until I get three phase it does not make too much sense.

GTA do you know anything about the 100 amp Hypertherm 1650 ?
          looks like a good unit.

Comment

Working...
          X