how to weld this ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to weld this ?

from past experience, on this project, this is going to be a scary weld for me. i really screwed up a similar weld = LOTS of time to fix the problems. i DON'T want that to happen again. but i think poor fitup was a major problem the last time. fitup is pretty good, if not perfect on this try. anyway ...

the box is .090 3003h14. the plate is 3/16 6061. and is set about .125 down in the box, so to hide the weld. the last time melted the .090 to the outside pretty bad. DON'T want this to happen again.

penetration is NOT wanted here. just good fusion will do really well. i have both 17 & 9 torches
    Attached Files

I would pull the flat plate up to make an open corner and weld that. If done well it will look fine. Just my 2cents
    Trailblazer 302g
    coolmate4
    hf-251d-1
    super s-32p
    you can never know enough

Comment

I can't really give you any advice that you probably don't already know. Just concentrate youre heat on the larger piece. Unfortunatley this is something that just comes with practice.

Comment

ya know what i would like to see. someone do this weld, and post pics.

Comment

What I would do is set up the machine for welding .090 and have at it. Just weld it like it is two pieces of .090. Your weld won't have adequate penetration on the 3/16, but it will penetrate it about .090 inches. If you needed more penetration on the 3/16, you would need thicker sides anyway.

You got the D200DX right? Just set it to about 115 and let off a bit on the pedal. Just remember to aim the torch more toward the 3/16 just to be safe.

Good Luck
          -SPiNNeR-

Hobart 135
          Oxy-Acet w/ Victor torch
          Dynasty 200 DX

Comment

Use the original "screwed up" piece as a practice piece. Works for me.
            LICENSED ELECTRICIAN
            BAKERY MECHANIC

Comment

If my thinking is right,it shoulld only need two beeds on each flat side since you a near perfect fit.A chemicle type sealer could be used if a larger space opens.I would use a copper or brass heat fence against the .090 material to keep it cooler.
              Good luck.I've been following this project from the beginning and its looking nice.
              To all who contribute to this board.
              My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
              Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
              Miller Syncrowave 250
              Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

Comment

i got the part done, mostly. just have to polish it some more, i HATE polishing, it SUCKS. but the end result is worth it. .... it doesn't look as good as i figured it would, some blemishes. but they are kinda hard to see, so it wasn't a total waist. but i may make another some day.

i would still like to see someone make this weld.

Comment

S-10, are you attending the GA. show? If so bring a mock up and let Andy or Hawk use your piece as a demo.

Comment

you don't know how much i would like to attend an event that welders of that caliber would be welding. it just amazes me that there is no events like that in a market this size, chicago.

Comment

Blown S-10, that is surprising. Chicago and surrounding areas is a huge market for anything. Even if you cannot attend it would be cool to let one of the pros do a demo on it, then you would have a spare that was perfect. I am going if you can have one mocked you could ship it to me as I will be their both days. I am sure Andy or HAWk would weld it for you. My email is [email protected] if interested.

Comment

thanx for the offer. i'm not sure i have some spare metal to send. when are you going ?

here is a pic, low quality, but a pic. it needs more polishing, but doesn't look bad. this one is MUCH more heavy duty than the one it replaced.
                        Attached Files

Comment

The plate you welded I beleive is on the bottom.Did you you weld it all the way around and did you use a heat fence of any kind? It looks pretty darn nice in the picture.
                          To all who contribute to this board.
                          My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
                          Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
                          Miller Syncrowave 250
                          Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

Comment

yes, bottom plate. no heat fence, should have used one
                            yes, welded all the way around, needs to be air tight.

Comment

S-10, I will be leaving 04/05 in the am arriving in Ga that evening, day before show.

Comment

Working...
                              X