X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3/8 aluminum plate

I have a new 200DX and learning to weld aluminum
    most thickness being 1/8'' but there is one weld i would
    like to make its 3/8'' X 3 aluminum plate to 3/8 X 3 aluminum plate 3'' wide T joint. Can this welder handle this job, Im pluged in to 120 /30amp now but have plenty of juice avalible including 3 phase if needed.

Thanks for any help

I'm new to welding and I've never come near 3/8 aluminum but Hawk will see this and let you know if it is possible and the best technique.

Your ability to reach the highest amperage on the 200DX is with 3 phase.
    Here's the chart from the Miller info page.
    Attached Files
    Bob Sigmon
    A/O Setup with Meco Midget
    Miller Big Window Elite
    Quincy QT-5HD

Comment

Originally posted by piersonrd
      I have a new 200DX and learning to weld aluminum
      most thickness being 1/8'' but there is one weld i would
      like to make its 3/8'' X 3 aluminum plate to 3/8 X 3 aluminum plate 3'' wide T joint. Can this welder handle this job, Im pluged in to 120 /30amp now but have plenty of juice avalible including 3 phase if needed.

Thanks for any help
      Welcome to the forum. You will get lots of good info here.

You will most certainly max out the 200DX's capacity and then some trying to weld 3/8" AL, esp. with pure argon. Even if you use an argon helium mix I think you would be hard pressed to pull it off. The general consensus is 1/4" AL for the 200DX. Even then you may need an argon helium mix to achieve your desired results. HAWK will certainly be able to give you even more detailed information regarding this topic and you can also do a search.

Again, welcome aboard!
      Dynasty 350DX
      Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
      MM 350P
      MM Passport Plus
      Spectrum 375 Extreme
      08' Trailblazer 302

Comment

If I understand, you have two pieces 3x3x3/8 and you want to weld a T-joint. Then you will have no problems, the material may seem thick but the overall mass of the weldment is so small that it will give you no problems. Scott

Comment

I welded some 7/16 aluminum with a Syncro 250 set at 120 amps just to see if I could do it. The pieces were a few square inches each. Once I got started, it went ok.

Comment

piersonrd,

Welcome! It can be done, but is really pushing the machine. Even with a small weldment mass the D200DX will have a hard time with inputting enough heat to do the job adequately.

If you want to do it, here is how: Input power needs to be at least 1 phase 220VAC. The 110 VAC won't get it for this. Machine set to AC, A 75%helium/25%argon mix @ 20CFH, 150 HZ arc frequency, 70-75 EN balance, 3/32" filler. A 200-300 degree F preheat will really help. A CCW swirling of the torch will quicken the puddle formation. Once established add filler and swirl the torch over the newly added filler to help wash in the weld toes. Watch your duty cyle. Don't burn up the machine.

Comment

what is the piece being used for ? i have welded 1/2 3/4 and 1" with relative ease. but i didn't get full penetration, nore did i need to. the welds are pretty strong though.

Comment

I knew when i bought the 200dx, a project would
                come up requiring the 300dx maby Miller will give
                me a good deal on a trade in I only have 2 hours
                of welding time on the 200dx. but back to the task
                at hand ,I would like a good penatration of the weld
                bc.it is a structural part, but if it fails it will only hurt
                my feelings. Would the 3 phase be any better than
                single, and when you say, Watch your duty cyle. Don't burn up the machine. does that mean stop, when the fan
                comes on and continue, when it stops ?

PS maby i should swap machines before I try
                this 3/8'' aluminum plate weld

Thanks for the help.

Comment

I mean don't have the arc on for more than 2 minutes, then let the machine cool for 8 minutes. Wear some thick gloves with an air cooled torch as it will be very hot!

Most dealers are pretty sympathetic and should take back the D200DX as long as you buy the D300DX from them at the time of return. If they won't do it, then you may have to call the local Miller rep. Usually these things can be handled. If you are going to trade up, don't do the 3/8" until you get the 300. The D300DX will blow right through the 3/8" fillet with ease on argon.

Comment

Hawk If I'm correct on the size of the weldment, you are still saying that a 200dx will not weld this properly running straight argon without preheating. Hawk I have read many of your posts and have great respect for your knowledge and honesty but I have trouble agreeing with you on this one though. I honestly think this would be a walk in the park. Scott.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott T
                      Hawk If I'm correct on the size of the weldment, you are still saying that a 200dx will not weld this properly running straight argon without preheating. Hawk I have read many of your posts and have great respect for your knowledge and honesty but I have trouble agreeing with you on this one though. I honestly think this would be a walk in the park. Scott.
                      Scott T,
                      I think what HAWK is saying is that it IS possible to do this. Go back and read his initial post. However, you are pushing the machine up to and past its limits. If you feel like that is a good idea then by all means go for it. I personally would have a hard time recommending that someone push their equipment over its rated capacity, especially in the presented scenario.

I have used my 200DX to weld 1/4", at 200 amps using pure argon, with a little preheat and it certainly COULD do it. That said, the fan cycled almost continuously and it was clear that I was at the limits of the machine. If you do this on the 200DX on a regular basis then you risk damaging the machine, bottom line. I think that is the point HAWK was trying to make.

So if you feel comfortable advising that someone do this then, like I said, by all means go for it. I personally don't feel like that kind of advice is appropriate for someone learning using a brand new machine. Just KPO (Kevin's personal opinion).
                      Dynasty 350DX
                      Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
                      MM 350P
                      MM Passport Plus
                      Spectrum 375 Extreme
                      08' Trailblazer 302

Comment

Scott T,

It is no "walk in the park" from my personal experiences. I have welded 1/4" square tube to 1/4" with the method and parameters I listed using a D200DX. It was a struggle at best. It was a considerably larger weldment than 3/8"x3"x3" weldment being described.

More on par with the specific example at hand I have welded a T-joint using 2 pieces of 3/8" x 1.5" x 6" 6061T-651 aluminum plate. I think the actual weldment mass is nearly equal to the T-joint in question. Once again even with a 250 degree F (recommended interpass preheat) and the raised input wattage from the 75% helium/25% argon shield it was a tough weld to make.

Can it be joined? Most definitley. Can it be welded with adequate penetration for a structural weld? From my experiences the answer is no.
                        Please remember I have spent considerable time with the dynasty 200 and 300 in the DX models. They are both great machines. The fact of the matter is the 200 simply does not have the juice to do what piersonrd is wanting to do.

This job is a walk in the park for the D300DX. Please see attached. The 200 is a great machine, but it is simply not going to do this.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Scott T,

Thank you for the respect. I am glad you are enjoying my posts. I appreciate your statement that you disagree. This being said I invite you to make the 3/8"x3"x3" T-joint as described with a D200DX running AC polarity with any input power, shielding gas, and other parameters you wish. Let me know how turns out.

Now if wish to depart from standard welding practices and procedures, then I can assure you this weldment can be made with the D200DX at a cost. There is a very high cost associated with required materials to do it. There is also a great skill level involved. It is certainly not for those learning to TIG. It is more for seasoned TIG welders who have a genuine need to penetrate a large thick weldment for a particular requirement. It is neither easy nor inexpensive. I am talking about signifigantly increasing the input wattage through welding polarity and certified ultra high purity shielding gases.

Comment

Well don't know about swaping the 200DX for the
                            300DX but in the meantime im going to run new
                            wire to my welding area about 40ft from one of the two
                            incoming main 150amp 3 phase service boxes
                            think i'll run 4 wires in 1" conduit just in case i deside to run the welder on 3 phase ,What size (wire and breaker) will i need for the 200DX or the 300DX If I swap?
                            And does anyone recomend 3 phase over single?

PS May just sub out the 3/8'' thick job

Thanks for the help guys

Comment

piersonrd,

3 phase power is nice. Your power consumption will be less on 3 phase. Many inverters will have an increased duty on 3 phase input power since the input bridge and filter caps do not have to work as hard as on 1 phase. The arc qualtity on the inverters will be the same on 1 or 3 phase. If I had it, then I would use it. I recommend consulting your owner's manual and/or an electrician for this information.

Comment

Working...
                              X