Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 190MPH
    replied
    I wish I would have known about the possible discount deal for race teams 2 months ago when I bought my dynasty 200dx ! Hey, and my car is already the right color ! Andy, I know this is a resurected thread, but is this still possible? I will be in the market for a MIG machine in the not too distant future.

Leave a comment:

• harcosparky
    replied
    I am an 'average' guy. Never welded before in my life and I bought a Millermatic 210.

The competition for my $$$$$ came down to two players. Lincoln who had retailers close to homelike Home Depot and Lowes, ( think parts & supplies ) and Miller. The day of decision making, it came down to two phone calls.

Lincoln - when I called these fellas and told them I was looking at Miller all they could do was talk about how great their machines were. When they realized this talk was not winning me over the guy started in on " Well we have NASCAR, we are the Official sponsor ". I asked him, " how does that help me? ". He said ' well I guess it doesn't but I just wanted you to know who we sponsor "

Miller - when I called them and told them I was looking at Miller and Lincoln they went on to talk about Lincoln, and strangely enough in a good way. No attempt to bash Lincoln at all just gave fair and accurate feature comparisons. Not to mention how much time their Tech Support guys spent with a person who didn't even own a welder, ( me ) but boy I sure had a ton of questions.

I am not involved in Motorsports on a racing level but my son may well be at some point. He wants to race motorcycles.

Having to drive the distance I did to buy the welder wasn't an issue either. Bruce the guy that sold it to me at B&R even gave me his personal cell number. In case I was on my way down there and got hung up in traffic I could call him and he would hang around until I got there.

All in all, my Miller purchase experience was the best purchase experience I have had in my 50+ years of life.

Leave a comment:

• Sberry
    replied
    These machines are a bargain, I really cant believe the cost. High value, go buy a piece of furniture, 300% markup. Lots of dealers make "deals" the car dealer about the worst. A bottle lease I already have is the only reason I would need to set foot in my dealer anymore. Price is tougher than ever and the new customer is used to and feels normal in a box store vs chuming up with ole Pete over in the industrial park warehouse so he can get a fair deal on a box of rod.

Leave a comment:

• ephotrod
    replied
    Miller does alot of good. I personally have met Andy and Mr. Galleygos (southwest representative) twice at SEMA and asked about a discount for my universities machine shop. Not olny did they give UTEP (university of Texas El Paso) a discount they also came down gave a demo, and some educational equipment. Yes, I did have to call many times and ask but they kept there word and were very honest and helpful. Because of there discount UTEP was able to participate in several competitions such as Mini Baja and a solar car project.
    We can't thank the good people al miller enough for what help they gave us a couple years ago.
    Josh

Leave a comment:

• bdenney29
    replied
    I got a price quote on trailblazer 302 from local rep the other day it was like 4100.00.I got home found a sight cyberweld.com they sell that machine for 3600.00 and free shipping. I called local rep the next day to see if he could help with the way i wanted set up....He said you plan on buying at the price i quoted?I said know that I was considering ordering off the internet.He said how much are you paying I told him there wass a big difference in the prices 500.00 or so .He said forget that he didnt take me serious that that was just a random figure that whatever they would sell it to me for ,he would beat by 100.00 to keep my buisness.They sent the wrong machine I think it was 275 trailblazer ,I wanted 302 trailblazer with the AC.WHile the 275 trailblazer was sitting there for a couple of days ,he made another sell ,said he made twice the money he sold the one to me for...

Leave a comment:

• bdenney29
    replied
    I dont know about Miller, but I received three complimentary garage passes from Lincoln, this year at Talladega race .It was awesome, goto to try outalot of equipment they had there for Demo....You know didnt see the first Miller rep there........

Leave a comment:

• Pinecone
    replied
    You can also negotiate. I did that on my plasma cutter. Local dealer quoted me a not bad price, but I could do much better on Inet. So we talked. I am willing to pay a bit more to local dealer to keep them there when I need to run down and get something need RIGHT now.

So he checked and worked out a deal that worked for both of us.

Another local dealer had a salesman that would work out deals to get you buying from him, figuring most customers will come back for repeat purchases if they are happy. He left, the new sales people didn't think that way, and they lost the next two rigs sales. Oh well.

But if NOTHING else, Miller ought to think about making decals and banners more accessible to US. I would put a banner up in my shop, if they gave me one, but no way I am going to PAY for it.

Leave a comment:

• ASKANDY
    replied
    Northernlights,

Your pretty close on your assumptions and calculations. Most dealers like a minimum 12-15% margin unless it's a larger company or volume sale then they slide to 9 or 10%. Some like more and some can go less if they don't have inhouse service or other customer benefits. Your local dealer must like you! I can't see why anyone would quote list price unless they are in an area that demand is high and they can get it. I know when hurricane season comes, a lot of dealers get list $ for Bobcats and Trailblazers.
    Thanks for your dealer insite. I wouldn't purchase from them either. I think he was trying you out to see if he could get it! More commission for him.

Andy

Leave a comment:

• taz
    replied
    Isn't salesmanship interesting. How does the salesman know whether you are serious or not? Quoting the MSRP to a potential buyer will make the buyer who is "on the edge" of buying uninterested real fast. I've had that happen to me and found the internet a real friendly place to shop afterwards.

Leave a comment:

• NorthernLights
    replied
    Please don't bash me if my numbers are wrong, but I have found them to be good enough for my transactions. Dealer cost for Miller products is 71.6% of MSRP. So MSRP on a Syncrowave 180SD Tigrunner package is $2082.00 (from the Miller website). $2082.00 x 0.716 = $1490.71 dealer cost. I think you find that it is fair for your dealer to make 10% over cost, so 78.76% of MSRP. $2082.00 x 0.7876 = $1639.78. In an ideal world, they would get MSRP, but that rarely happens. When have you every paid MSRP for a new car?

For the Syncrowave 180SD Tigrunner package I mentioned, IOC is selling it on eBay for $1698.77 and my local dealer was asking $1600.00. Not bad pricing at all from my local dealer and he still made $110 on the sale. One of the other welding shops in town was quoting me MSRP on all their products. I went in there recently and told them I spent over $5,000 last year on machines and was getting all my consumables at the other shop because they were just quoting me MSRP. The salesman quickly changed his tune and said that he quoted MSRP until he knew you were serious about buying something. I am coming in to purchase equipment, not kick tires!!! When he quotes me MSRP, I feel he's not serious about selling to me and take my business elsewhere.

Leave a comment:

• ASKANDY
    replied
    Well,
    This got drawn out longer than I thought

Anyway,
    We pride ourselves on not doing what the "joneses" do. Our program is different for a reason. They can not support the level of activity they are doing. They can not promote it enough and in our eyes, do things that are a waste of money and we won't follow that parade. We do things differently. We choose to pin-point our motorsports program to get the best bang for the buck. The "official" status of a sanctioning body for example is, in our eyes, is a waste of money. The sanctioning body only makes the rules. They don't weld! That's why we align ourselves with teams and builders. They are the ones that all us hobby builders/racers can relate to so it makes more sense to support them. We have to draw the line somewhere or soon we'll be giving discounts to everyone who has a hobby or a car. We give extra discounts to large companies that purchase volume too. We can't do that on an individual basis. Bottom line is that "L" is losing money by giving that much in untrackable discounts.

As far as discount structure within distribution and internet retailers, they all get the same discount! Even drop shipping is the same for dealers as internet sellers. The fact that IOC or others sell so low is they have systems in place that remove manual effort and also cut their web sales margins down because they don't have to provide much if any after support. Dealers can sell out of state with no tax just like internet dealers.

Hope this helps clear some things up.

Andy

Leave a comment:

• Paul Seaman
    replied
    That was two years ago, the price was a match plus a little from BRwelder.
    http://www.brwelder.com/indextemplat...&SubCategory=1
    This is the page I printed and took to my dealer and he dealt accordingly. I paid taxes for the local purchase and bought cylinders, wire and other such stuff. I can't remember the actual price---Judie wrote the check!

Peace,

Leave a comment:

• balerjoe
    replied
    Originally posted by pjseaman
    I beat the retail price on my mm210 by nearly $500 when I bought it and that was because all my leases and gasses come from the same store and the guys know that what ever I need I'll buy it from them. They treat me well and I get a bit of a discount, just honesty and straight foreward description of my intentions. Be honest and ask for the discount and shop before you ask for it of course.
    If you don't mind me asking what did you pay for it. As I am in the market for a mm210 myself

Leave a comment:

• Paul Seaman
    replied
    I beat the retail price on my mm210 by nearly $500 when I bought it and that was because all my leases and gasses come from the same store and the guys know that what ever I need I'll buy it from them. They treat me well and I get a bit of a discount, just honesty and straight foreward description of my intentions. Be honest and ask for the discount and shop before you ask for it of course.

Leave a comment:

• balerjoe
    replied
    Originally posted by arcdawg
    Joe, the only way that you get a discount from lincoln is if you attend one of there classes.......so by the time you fly to ecluid and get a hotel room and pay for the class..........well **** they should give you a machine for free

they are both quality machines and worth 75% of what they sell them for

dawg
    Not really! All you have to do is call lincolns racing department. Tell them you will be racing like a discount for your team. They give you a special price & number which any retailer has to honor. YOu recieve a package banner & stickers. They give you a few hundred dollors off the best price your retailer gives you. Its that easy. I've done it a few times.

thats all
    Joe

Leave a comment:

Working...
X