Advise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheRealSpinner
    When I wired my garage, I ran 4 (I think) wires; two (or maybe just one) hot, one neutral, one ground. The thing is, both the neutral and the ground were connected to the same bare ground wire going into the ground at the main box. I was told that this was correct, is this right?

In the MAIN panel, the ground and neutral are connected together. In SUB-PANELS, they must be seperated (2 seperate buses).
    LICENSED ELECTRICIAN
    BAKERY MECHANIC

Comment

Spinner,

Ground and neutral are "bonded" at the main service entrance, and ONLY there! Sub-panels have an isolated (not connected to the panel frame) bus for neutrals, and a ground bus for the bare and green ground wires that IS bonded to the panel case.

The "neutral" is kinda mis-named. The term refers to the point on the transformer winding on the utility's pole, or underground vault, where that wire is connected. It is actually a current-carrying conductor for all 120V circuits in your house. There is just no "difference in potential" between the neutral and ground wires because they are connected to the same place, so if everything's working correctly, you don't get a shock if you get between neutral and ground.

Hank
      ...from the Gadget Garage
      Millermatic 210 w/3035, BWE
      Handler 210 w/DP3035
      TA185TSW
      Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange

Comment

Remember--NO SPEAKER WIRE!....LOL
        LICENSED ELECTRICIAN
        BAKERY MECHANIC

Comment

I guess I am going to go with the 210...In the future I will have a circut put out in the garage for it. Thanks for all the advise...it really helped me out
          Saving for Dynasty 200 DX

Comment

Miller?????????

Originally posted by millermania
            Yeah this is the situation I'm in. My breaker panel is located on the other side of the house as the garage. I currently only have one branch of 120V going to the garage and would like to run 240V. What's involved in doing this? I would like to avoid having to run an extension cord from the laundry room, and I think running external conduit is pretty expensive and ugly.

(getting garage ready for D200DX, hehehe)

Thanks!
            What part of the country are u in, Im also a licenced home inspector, cause the welding buisness and manufacturing is going to china,,crawl space, frostline?attic?need to know this, I just never took the electrical inspectors test,,Ive done live cut overs 60 amp to 200 amp in the rain, electricty is to be RESPECTED, not afraid of,,,Jack

Comment

Working...
            X