Tiggin' in tight spots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tiggin' in tight spots

Just finished install of a roll cage in a sixty two vette and found my 17v torch waaaaaaay to big to get into some of the tight spots.Finally got it done using some very interesting methods and body positions. What is available for tig welding in areas such as these?? Is there a smaller torch or such a thing as a miniture tig rig.I did this job tigging off of my Bobcat, so I need the ability to valve the gas when not welding. Thanks for any and all help.
    Mike
    MACH4

Originally posted by MACH4
    Just finished install of a roll cage in a sixty two vette and found my 17v torch waaaaaaay to big to get into some of the tight spots.Finally got it done using some very interesting methods and body positions. What is available for tig welding in areas such as these?? Is there a smaller torch or such a thing as a miniture tig rig.I did this job tigging off of my Bobcat, so I need the ability to valve the gas when not welding. Thanks for any and all help.
    Mike
    MACH4
    A #9 is smaller and you can get a shorter back cap and even a button cap that will make everything shorter. The #9 is rated to 125 amps, so it will depend on how much juice you need. There is also a shorter collett/cup available from CK and Weldcraft for the #17 (I am not sure if its avail for the #9).
    Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
    Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
    Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
    Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

Comment

Hey Mach,
      This is off the subject a bit... Tell me about your setup. I have a Bobcat 250NT and was thinking of trying it for some tig work. How did yours do?
      Bulldog
      5 Passport Pluses
      2 MM 212's
      MM 210
      MM 251 MIA
      MM 350 P w/Python
      Syncrowave 250
      w/ tig runner
      Trailblazer 302
      12RC w/meters
      Spectrum 1000
      Spectrum 2050
      2 Black BWEs
      Joker BWE
      Star & stripe BWE Digital
      2 star & stripe xlix's

REAL TRUCKS RATTLE
      CUMMINS BABY

Comment

Originally posted by Bulldog
        Hey Mach,
        This is off the subject a bit... Tell me about your setup. I have a Bobcat 250NT and was thinking of trying it for some tig work. How did yours do?
        Bulldog
        Bulldog,
        I have been tigging using Bobcats and Big 40's for years, have had great success using both[ up 'til yesterday anyhow] although AL needs a high freq. box for field work.
        Mike
        MACH4

Comment

Originally posted by Sundown
          A #9 is smaller and you can get a shorter back cap and even a button cap that will make everything shorter. The #9 is rated to 125 amps, so it will depend on how much juice you need. There is also a shorter collett/cup available from CK and Weldcraft for the #17 (I am not sure if its avail for the #9).
          Sundown,
          Thanks for the reply. Ishould have posted more info on my current torch though.
          As I stated in my first post it is a 17v using a small gas lens with a #8 cup and button backcap using 3/32 2%thoriated.
          Mike
          MACH4

Comment

I am not sure how much size the valve adds to the torch size but I have a D200DX w/#17 diamondback, if it is any smaller I can bring the whole deal and you can finish up what you need. Email me at [email protected] if I can help.

Peace,

Comment

Sundown,
              Thanks for the reply. Ishould have posted more info on my current torch though.
              As I stated in my first post it is a 17v using a small gas lens with a #8 cup and button backcap using 3/32 2%thoriated.
              Mike
              MACH4
              Weldcraft makes a Stubby setup for the 17V, looks to be about 1" or so shorter than the standard length. You would need a Stubby collet #10N24S (3/16th), a subby collet body #17CB20, stubby #8 alumina #13N12m & the Stubby gasket #18CG20.

If you need a gas lens the same short length you can get it from CK, it part of the 3 series gas saver setup. Short alumina is #2A8GS (a clear pryex cup is 2P8GS if you need to see better), screen is #TAS332GS, short collet is #4CBGS, short wedge is #4C332GS, & short heatshield (gasket) is #3HSGS.

Hope this helps (I hope I get the numbers all right.
              Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
              Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
              Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
              Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

Comment

Rain252:
                I have one of the tig pens and it is mostly for long runs and quick feeding rates. I don't believe it will help for this instance, good thought though.

Peace,

Comment

MACH4,

I used to TIG from a Trailblazer and a HF box with a Coolmate 4 and a #20 torch. It was very small compared to the air cooled 17 or even 9. Mine did not have a gas valve since the HF box had a gas contactor. I've never used a #20 w/ gas valve, but have seen them available and size appears to be similar. It can be a pin hauling the cooler around is the only drawback I found.

Comment

MACH4,

CK Worldwide makes a wide selection of unique angled, flexhead, and other configurations in air cooled and water cooled TIG torches. Check it out.

Comment

MACH4,

If you cannot find what you what and have an idea you can put to paper, PROFAX will make it for you. They will custom make TIG and MIG torches and are very reasonable on the price. They did a 500 amp #12 series water cooled with braided lines and a manual gas valve for me. It took a couple of months, but was definitely worth waiting for.

Comment

Ck

Hawk

Who sells CK stuff on the web? Having trouble finding the stuff

Thanks
                        Dave

Comment

Mike
                          I've got a #9 Weldcraft with the flex head.
                          With a button backcap and a short or custom
                          ground down cup you can get in some tight
                          spaces.
                          It's rated for 125 amps but will handle more
                          for short beads to finish something up.
                          Dave P.

Comment

For doing your chassis stuff, I have regularly changed the 17 head on an aircooled to a #9. Then you can use the standard #20 consumables and without the gas lens, you can get into some real tight areas with the standard cups.

Andy

Comment

Mike
                              MACH4
                              Try going on arc-zone.com web site. They carry a varitey of small and speciality tig torches or will manufactor one for your needs.

Comment

Working...
                              X