Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Machine

Hey Guys,
    just wondering about my next move here, I just contracted a welding job for a freind and it is mostly carbon steel which in itself is pretty easy right, Heres the catch the work is to be done at a boat yard and there isnt and large power source for my machine so i am wondering what is the best way to go... I v got a Miller XMT setup with a 22A mig feeder. The Guy is willing to pick up a machine (gas or deisel fired). so I want to be able to hook up my 22a feeder to this machine and make light -quick work and get to the next job. He was saying that he may pick up some hobart desiel machines at a ham sandwich price( dont know the model) can I adapt my 22a to a hobart machine?
    or would it be better for me to pick up a genorator with capacity to handle the XMT?
    Thanks

Terence

Don't know which XMT you have, but for the 304, you'll have to "pick up" a 12KW genny to run it a full power. If you were going to buy something that big, I'd just get an engine drive welding machine.

If I had a 22A, I don't think I'd want to run it outside in a boat yard. I'd be looking at a "VS" or ""RC" type suitcase feeder.

Hank
    ...from the Gadget Garage
    Millermatic 210 w/3035, BWE
    Handler 210 w/DP3035
    TA185TSW
    Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange

Comment

rent a 12K

have you conciderd renting a good genny. it would be a shame to stress the XMT just to try to get by on a smaller gen.if you want to get in get it done and get out , i would want the right equipment to inshure no buggs pop up wile trying to get things done.
      thanks for the help
      ......or..........
      hope i helped
      sigpic
      feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
      summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
      JAMES

Comment

Ok what about the second part of the question can adapt the 22A to a hobart machine. Like I said I dont know the model yet but im guesing it is a deisel unit..
        when i get info Ill come back to post more questions.

terence

Comment

You'll find that your XMT may not llike to run well on dirty power. If you really have to run it, you'll have to stick in some line filters to chassis. A repair shop will make up a little cap board and install it for you. This will save you a few bucks in blown boards and IGBT's.

A cheap *** T-dyne (Raider) will provide enough 3 phase power at 460 to run the XMT. It also has 24 Vac to run a S-22, or what ever else. It's not a bad welder either, though it's design has always been Generator first, welder second. The control is all Miller oriented, so your not likely to get lost on hookups.

Now, any feeder can go with any welder with the right input power, the 22a is a 24 Vac unit, so either you'll need a 24 vac capable power source or a stepdown transformer and control relay. A better hardier feeder would be an S-52E (115Vac), or Lincoln LN-7.

Comment

Question

Originally posted by cruizer
            You'll find that your XMT may not llike to run well on dirty power. If you really have to run it, you'll have to stick in some line filters to chassis. A repair shop will make up a little cap board and install it for you. This will save you a few bucks in blown boards and IGBT's.

A cheap *** T-dyne (Raider) will provide enough 3 phase power at 460 to run the XMT. It also has 24 Vac to run a S-22, or what ever else. It's not a bad welder either, though it's design has always been Generator first, welder second. The control is all Miller oriented, so your not likely to get lost on hookups.

Now, any feeder can go with any welder with the right input power, the 22a is a 24 Vac unit, so either you'll need a 24 vac capable power source or a stepdown transformer and control relay. A better hardier feeder would be an S-52E (115Vac), or Lincoln LN-7.
            Hi There, What are you welding? and the thickness? usually pretty windy on the water, why not just stick weld it,?Jack

Comment

Thanks for the info
              Im welding a barge together the owner is a dock builder and he is putting togather another barge for his fleet, it is 50% complete, his original welder apparently have some substance abuse problems. If it comes right down to it I will probably have to go with the 7018,its all 3/8" plate and 4" angle/channnel. I thought the mig would make faster work of it though and the work inside the hull wont be windy....if you catch my draft.....ha ha ha ha

Thanks again
              Terence

Comment

From Portable Welder, I run an XMT304 in my shop with an s-22P-12 feeder which is nothing more than a 22A without a cover
                On my trucks I run a Pipe pro which is a XMT with a motor on it and I run a S-22P12 feeder. and on my other truck I run a Trailblazer with the same feeder.
                Dont make your life difficult, Just go rent a TrailBlazer, my new one kicks out 10,000 watts to run any power tool.
                The Trailblazer will run your feeder just fine, If your 22a feeder has a 14 pin connecter you can plug it in and weld.
                I buy the 75'- 14 pin contactor, 75' of welding lead, and 75' of gas hose, I tape the three together, I install the inert quick disconnects on the gas hose with lenco quick disconnects for the welding lead.
                This lets me carry my feeder where I need to weld and then I pull my lead over and hook it up, this way the generator is not blaring in your ear and you can take your feeder down inside the hull.
                They may try to rent you the Bobcat, the Bobcat is for a voltage sensing feeder which you do not have or want. Tell them you want the Trail blazer. If you take this advise you will not be sorry.
                Note: If you decide to arc weld it any portable welder would be fine.

Comment

Terence 638,

I must second Portable Welder's advise. The 22A will run great from a Trailblazer with the 14 pin connector. The 24VAC is right in the pin set up and no adapters are required. You will need the 75' 14 pin extension for sure. The only thing I sometimes do different is to take the gas bottle with the feeder instead of pulling 75'+ of gas line. Now if you are in cramped quarters or using the 300+ CF bottles, this may not be practical. I have done it both ways.

Comment

Working...
                  X