Accesories for D200DX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accesories for D200DX

I'm currently attending a navy welding school and will be graduating and going on leave shortly. Before I entered the navy I wanted to learn to weld so when I was given the chance to attend this school I jumped on it. At the school we use Dialarc 250's and I'm not too bad at tig so I figured I'd go ahead and get a welder of my own. Since I wanted something a bit more portable I decided to get the D200DX with the foot control contractor kit. I had it shipped to the address where I'll be on leave. I also got a 40cf bottle and some 70s2 and 4043 filler wire.

I'm not sure what all I need to order so I can start having fun with my new welder when I get there. I now realize that the 40cf bottle may be a little small but the shop is in the basement so I doubt the local gas supplier would be willing to drop a larger bottle down there for me. I thought about getting a 80cf bottle but I doubt I could carry that down the stairs. The local gas supplier is only about 30min away so I could take my little 40cf bottle in and get it refilled every couple of days but there has to be a better way. There is a unheated shed where we keep our lawn equipment where I suppose I could keep a larger bottle to fill the 40cf bottle. I honestly don't know what exactly comes with the kit as far as the smaller parts. The person who lives at the address where I sent it doesn't know anything about welding so they're not much help as far as looking in the case and telling me what's in it. I know I need a bench grinder to sharpen my tungsten so I'll need some wheels for that. I saw fun4now's post and I'm kicking myself for getting the contractor kit. Eitherway, I'm also curious about those gas saver nozzles.

You definately need a dedicated grinder for your tungstens. You will need tungstens. Check out Aglevtech.com , prices are good and he has a great selection. I'm not sure but I believe that the kit comes with 1/16th, 3/32nd and 1/8th collet bodies and collets, so you should be set for what ever size tungsten you decide to go with.

My shop is also in the basement and I have no problem with the 80cf bottles. I'd upgrade to the 80cf if you can.

Have fun on your leave.

Bob Sigmon
    Bob Sigmon
    A/O Setup with Meco Midget
    Miller Big Window Elite
    Quincy QT-5HD

Comment

155 will work

if you are about to go into the navy you could take a 155CF bottle down the stairs.i have the 155cf for my mig and i can lift it out of the trunk (once every6 months ) it's 4 1/2 ft tall and about 7" acrost it is not that heave a cheap dolly and you would be good to go.155cf dose not mean 155LBS.

as for the setup i sold keep in mind i spent a few months looking for thouse parts, and loseing several to higher bidds. time you probly dont have to waist. time is $$$$$ and you need it ready to weld when you get there.also i forgot to include the price of the gass savers in my offer so i actualy paid more for the setup then i sold it for. but it has a good home now so i am happy. when i get a chance to look into TIG again i will most likely not be able to aford the dyn.200 and the syncro 180 has all the parts with it.hopefully the power wont be an isue.
      thanks for the help
      ......or..........
      hope i helped
      sigpic
      feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
      summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
      JAMES

Comment

tungsten & grinder

you will need to get tung as Bob said you might think about a tungsten grinder Arc-zone has a nice portable 1 for about $220.00.

be shoure to get 1.5% lanthanated or 2% lanthanated tung the 1.5% works good for the lower amps up to about 130-ish than the 2% will work better.

grind the 1.5% to 20 degree taper and a .020” flat
        and the
        2% to a 35 degree taper and a .030” flat
        thease will give you the best results injoy the new toy
        thanks for the help
        ......or..........
        hope i helped
        sigpic
        summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
        JAMES

Comment

I didn't just enter the Navy. I've been in for almost 2 years. Although I've been in school for my entire enlistment thus far.

The lanthanated tungsten seems to be the way to go. Does anyone know what comes with the kit? I think it comes with (Ak-2)? 0.040,1/16 and 3/32 collets and collet bodies so maybe get 1.5% 0.040 and 1/16 and some 2% 3/32. I don't know about those tungsten grinders but I kinda like those "wands". Is there any particular type or grit of grinding wheel that is good for tungsten? I was thinking about getting a 120 grit blue AlO wheel for tool steel and a pair of white or pink AlO wheels for general sharpening. I worked in a metal shop one summer in high school and the owner was an awesome welder and he sharpened his on a belt sander. So after looking at some really pricy grinders I figure I can do the something similar. However, I will suggest that wet grinder they sell to the school since they have what would be a decent grinder if it allowed you to grind the W longitudinally... Honestly I mostly do woodworking in the shop but I've always wanted to be able to weld since some things should just be made from metal.

How much does one of those 155cf bottles weigh full and how much does something like that run? I think I read that the 80cf weighs something like 70lbs full. I don't really like carring much of anything over about 80lbs down the stairs. Could I keep it in the shed? Either way since it seems I should get a bigger bottle, how do you fill a smaller one from the big one?

Comment

Prototype3a:
            Welcome aboard and for tungsten I like 2% ceriated, and Diamond ground is very helpful. The AK2 I've seen came with ceriated which works with Aluminum, Stainless and Mild steels. Lanthanated and Ceriated tungstens have much the same operating charactoristics, after you develope some skill try both side by side and you can develope and opinion for yourself until then just pick one or the other and stick with it. Change single perameters at a time, changing too much at one time will make you chase your tail and learn much slower.

Enjoy the new 200dx,

Comment

For youre bottles dont get anything less than 80cf.I'm disabled and can handle the 80 cf and the 155 cf.The 80 is 42" and the 155 is 48" to the top of the valve protector.I can haul both in my Pt cruser.Idont know how much they weigh.My 80 cf was $130.00 brand new and the 155 was 160 used and full of argon.I bought both from a dealer.
              To all who contribute to this board.
              My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
              Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
              Miller Syncrowave 250
              Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

Comment

80cf is too small, unless you don't weld much.

Comment

Originally posted by Blown S-10
                  80cf is too small, unless you don't weld much.
                  That is why I ended up getting another bottle.Prototype3a mentioned he does mostly woodwork so an 80 cf might be just right for him.
                  You might concider renting youre gas cylinder first until you decide witch is best for you.You may want a large one while you learn ,then get a smallone to have on hand when you need it.
                  To all who contribute to this board.
                  My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
                  Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
                  Miller Syncrowave 250
                  Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

Comment

Heh.. ya got me, NPPO Welder. I was kinda unsure if I should say what I was in for but oh well. Yeah the school isn't too bad. They famailiarize us with OA brazing and cutting, SMAW welding in all positions including using a mirror and welding pipe and sockets. The main focus though is GTAW welding of pipes and sockets made from steel and nickel-copper with less than 12" of clearance around them. This place is a vacation compared to the ofther schools I've attended. I've had this screenname for several years now I and I never really thought about my screenname that way. Did you go to powerschool down in Fl?

Right now, I'm considering an 80cf and I'll keep the 40cf as a backup and if I need to take my welder somewhere. I don't know for sure but I expect once I complete all the projects I have lined up that I won't do as much welding. But then again I'm sure I'll think up all sorts of stuff to weld while I'm underway. Either way I think I'm gonna call up the gas suppliers back home and see what they'll offer.

How exactly do you cut the tungsten? Sounds like you grind a little notch and then snap it kinda like cutting glass.

Comment

fill youre own

you will not want to mess with trying to fill youre own bottle.i would go to youre gass suplyer and ask him to let you pick up a 80cf and a 155cf. you will find the 155 is not that heavy and wile you are lerning you will defenitly want the 155cf maybe rent the 155cf first then buy after the year is up.i rent my 155cf for like $45.00 a year and it is about $33.00 to fill it, the 80cf bottle is like $29.00 to fill so for $4.00 more i get 2 X as much gas.

as i understand it transfering gas at home is not too practical, and all you can hope for is equalizing the presher so you wont get a true fill.
                      thanks for the help
                      ......or..........
                      hope i helped
                      sigpic
                      JAMES

Comment

fill youre own

you will not want to mess with trying to fill youre own bottle.i would go to youre gass suplyer and ask him to let you pick up a 80cf and a 155cf. you will find the 155 is not that heavy and wile you are lerning you will defenitly want the 155cf maybe rent the 155cf first then buy after the year is up.i rent my 155cf for like $45.00 a year and it is about $33.00 to fill it, the 80cf bottle is like $29.00 to fill so for $4.00 more i get 2 X as much gas.

as i understand it transfering gas at home is not too practical, and all you can hope for is equalizing the presher so you wont get a true fill.

if you are still in welding school ask youre instructors if there is a 155cf botle around. probly got 1 or 1 close to it in your O/A rig.
                        thanks for the help
                        ......or..........
                        hope i helped
                        sigpic
                        JAMES

Comment

i agree. go lift those bottles.

Comment

I don't think we have any 155cf bottles and there is NO way they'd let me try to pick one up. The navy is waaaay to safety concious to allow that. You should see our argon bottle. It's like the size of a minivan sitting on it's back end. It's HUGE. Our OA lab has atleast 5 each O2 and acetalene bottles about as big as me. Are the 0.040 electrodes really all that useful? Could I get away without them?

Comment

go to the welding supply and lift one. there not THAT heavy. you and a friend could easily put it down in the basement. otherwise your going to be running back to the welding supply for refills pretty often. and paying a lot more to do it.

Comment

Working...
                              X