Tig?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tig?

Hi. I've been reading the older posts and FAQ's but I still need help.

I am building a pro/street struck. I haven't decided yet if I should go with chrome/moly tubing or mild steel for my chassis and roll cage. I used to do all my welding at my uncles shop, but now that I have my own garage I am limited in my welder choices. I own a Hobart 135 Mig welder that I have done light body work in the past with, but I feel I need a larger machine at times. I also plan on fabricating my own valve covers, blower manifold, and oil pan, most likely out of aluminum. Since this is the case I've been thinking I might go with a Tig welder. If I do get a Tig I would then go with chrome/moly tubing.

Now this doesn't seem like such a big decision, but I am on a budget and I really don't want the cost of buying both a MM210 and an aluminum capable Tig.

How well do Tigs work for regular body work on sheet steel? I have quite a lot of rust repair and floor construction in this build-up, and worry that Tig wouldn't be as suitable as Mig work. I wish that someone manufactured an affordable Tig/stick machine that is aluminum capable that I could run a wire feed off of.

Any and all suggestions are greatly apreciated. Thanks.

jn6047

I should add that I'm really interested in the Synchrowave 180, it looks just about right to fit my budget, and cover the welding that I need. With practice will the synchrowave welds be pretty enough on my valve covers and such or can those nice welds only be made with a better machine? And just how slow is the Tig process for sheet metal? Perhaps I should look at getting an MM210 using mild steel for my chass/roll cage, and using a spoolgun for my aluminum and grinding down the welds... As you can see, I'm really quite confused.

jn6047

Comment

I would also consider a Thermal Arc 185 tsw tig unit also, Alot smaller and uses less power.

Comment

Your 135 would be perfect for sheet metal work and alot of the heavier fab work. Buy the 180 for tig and then you can do your aluminum work and your chrome/moly work also. The 180 with produce beautiful welds, its your skill level that will dictate if that will happen. Good luck with your decision. Scott

Comment

Thanks for all the replys. After seeing some pictures posted here of alumninum mig welding, I think maybe I might go with the mm210 with a spool gun. ****...still not sure. I guess the final deciding factor will be how well and how slow the tig works on sheet metal and how much warpage the mig would cause for my aluminum. I really can't justify having both a mig and a tig at this point, and my Hobart 135 really is too small for a lot of what I'm doing, after using a 210 the welds just do not compare. Thanks again.

jn6047

Comment

Unless you are building a heads up pro car, stay away from the moly tubing. Not only is it more expensive and harder to work with, it also has a tendency to work embrittle over time and start cracking. A lot of people will tell you that it doesnt, but I have done more than my fair share of repairs on moly cars and no matter who built them, they all seem to crack eventually.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up. I was really leaning towards the moly, now I'll definetly reconsider.

jn6047

Comment

Maybe this is the answer to go along with the syncro 180.

http://www.readywelder.com/10000adp.htm

Comment

jn6047:
                  I have welded some nice aluminum jobs with my mm210 and spoolgun. I believe it can do most of what your looking for. If it were me I would go with mild steel tubing and the mm210 w/spoolmate 3035, I own one and have only welded with 1 welder I would have in place of the one I own{the mm350p is it}.

Good luck with the choice, its a tough one

Comment

Pjs, Weren't you the one that used to rave about the Invision at school? You have used the 350P and the Invision now right? Do you think the 350P that much better? Let me know what you think. I played around with a 350P but not for very long at the local Airgas open house and it was very nice, but I think I like the separate feeder and the use of SMAW better.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. After reading a few articles on hotrod.com I'm starting to lean more and more towards the syncrowave 180, seems like lots of shops are using tig on the high end cars, even for body panel replacment.

jn6047

Comment

I should also add, that after reading through the Hobart and Miller forums it apears that there is a good deal of demand for a multi-process machine that does aluminum tig. If a company were to come out with something like the syncro 180 with a mig feature I'm pretty sure that it would sell quite well (I know that I'd buy one).

jn6047

Comment

Originally posted by jn6047
                          I should also add, that after reading through the Hobart and Miller forums it apears that there is a good deal of demand for a multi-process machine that does aluminum tig. If a company were to come out with something like the syncro 180 with a mig feature I'm pretty sure that it would sell quite well (I know that I'd buy one).

jn6047
                          They are available now. I would rather have two separate machines myself. Couple of reasons...it would be easier to go from one process to the other when changing settings...I could select the best mig or tig welder for the intended use and budget... an all in one unit may be lacking in performance or features in one aspect or another. just my two cents

Comment

JoeBass you got me- I do still love the arc feel of the invision345mp but the mm350p is all of that and much better programability for the aluminum. Maybe you should know I almost compared the two as my favorites but if I were to change out my mm210 it would have to be something special and both of these setups are really trick {mm350p vs. invision345mp w/22a}! I have a special place in my heart for the 345mp since it showed me how to weld and made me retire the red box. After using a 345mp I wanted one but couldn't afford it but I could afford the mm210 which is a beautiful machine and love it!

I am currently taking a class at the local tech school and can use some of the newest greatest machines and my favorites are as such. Dynasty-300,200, mm350p-invision345mp, and of course my mm210.

Peace

Comment

Originally posted by RST200
                              They are available now. I would rather have two separate machines myself. Couple of reasons...it would be easier to go from one process to the other when changing settings...I could select the best mig or tig welder for the intended use and budget... an all in one unit may be lacking in performance or features in one aspect or another. just my two cents

I don't think that anyone makes a machine that does aluminum HF tig and mig. If there is please let me know. Thanks.

jn6047

Comment

Working...
                              X