Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bulldog
    replied
    In case anyone is interested there is a waterjet course that I'm going to attend. It's March 13-15 in Kent Ohio. The cost is $1200.00! I guess if I'm going to spend the money for a waterjet I should do what I can to learn how to run the thing.
    Bulldog

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Flow

There is a used 1998 Flow Bengal on ebay right now. It looks nice:
    ebay FLOW

Leave a comment:

• Bulldog
    replied
    Thanks Snow! This is my e-mail Ad. [email protected] Send the # to me here. Thanks again!
    Bulldog

Leave a comment:

• snow
    replied
    Kinda sounds like a raw deal to me.........Just don't seem right at all. One would think they would want to help used buyers as well as new buyers.......The used buyers will still need parts and supplies.........

I would assume that the fee does not apply to people who buy used from them........probably because they have already added it to the price...lol

At any rate, I really know nothing of thier business practices..........But the machine does make some really nice parts........

If you would be interested in talking to the owner of the shop, I could send you his number.........He could answer any questions you may have.....

Leave a comment:

• Bulldog
    replied
    Hey Snow,
    I looked at Omax. Nice! There's a used one in Mass that will be avaliable in June that I was thinking about. The only thing is if you buy a used Omax and you need technical assistance you have to pay Omax a one time fee of $10,000... ($65,000 + $10,000 = cheaper then new) I think that I would rather go for a new unit though.
    Bulldog

Leave a comment:

• snow
    replied
    I have all on my brackets cut by a waterjet shop........waterjets are awesome machines, capable of really intricate work.......acurate to less than .002......... He uses an Omax machine..... www.omax.com is thier web address.......

They have a very user friendly computer system.......very easy to draw the parts or copy a template........and he is well pleased with the system and factory support......

I can't offer any info about any other brands.......This is the only one I am familiar with.......

I can say that as a buyer of parts, the waterjet parts are a good deal for me...........the brackets are excellent.......without the high costs of die making for stamped parts or the time consuming process of making them by hand.........it makes better parts Cheaper....... I would think you would find plenty of clients in a relativley short period of time.......

Leave a comment:

• burninbriar
    replied
    I know this is way out of my league but I would look into the productive life expectancy of the machine and how long it will keep you at the top of the game as far as technology goes.I would not want to dump a few hundred grand to have my competition bury me with new technology before the equipment is paid off.This is a little of the subject but a company I worked for spent in the neiborhood of a million dollars on computer operated lathes and metal shapeing equipment and it was basicly junk within ten years acording to them.They said it paid for its self and seemed satisfyed but I had to laugh becouse the same old lathes that they had when I worked there were still being used.The operaters said they prefered them for smaller jobs becouse the new ones took too long to set up.One of the old lathes was converted from an over head pully system and they had a four speed truck transmitoin mounted on it.

Leave a comment:

• storts
    replied
    both are close enogh

Chapin and Bangs are so cheap with there laser,, and they go to penn, to maine, so ny is in there range,,and they are within 5 thousands ,,,my tape does not go down to that Jack

Leave a comment:

• Bulldog
    replied
    Well, I have gotten a bunch of good input about abrasive waterjets. The new ones are awesome! I thought that I would go for a good used one but the programs that come with the new units make life great.You can actually scan in the part that you want to run and the machine will cut out as many as you want. It will actually figure out how many pieces you can get out of a piece of steel.
    There not cheap to run though, the abrasive cost about $25.00 per hr. to operate. It's a little slower then a plasma but there is no clean up after the cutting is done.
    The unit that I'm looking at will cut 1" at about 10" per minute at a #5 finish and it will cut 6" stainless at a #3 quality finish.(Much slower) Well there's your update...
    Bulldog

Leave a comment:

• Bulldog
    replied
    Hi guys,
    Thanks for the input. I have talked to a couple of dealers and things are coming together. I have also talked to a couple of potential customers and I feel that there is enough interest to keep me moving forward. This isn't something that is going to happen over night. (Probably this summer at the earlyist) I'll keep you updated.
    Bulldog

Leave a comment:

• IBRAILN
    replied
    We have a bunch of WaterJet machines where I work and the operators love them. I haven't personally used one, but I haven't heard one bad thing. The setup of the units seemed to be a little tough, time consuming. However once that is done you're in business. I could be wrong but I think the "average" material we cut is between .500" and 1.00". I'm not sure what the max limit is. If I had the extra $140+k I would buy one, however its just not in the budget.

Leave a comment:

• oldudbob
    replied
    How a waterjet works. See attachment.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• jolane
    replied
    I have worked closely with a company who uses one for a lot of the machining they do. They do a lot of roughing out parts, and also artsy stuff from tile. The machine they have is ~3x6 or so table. I know that it is VERY expensive to run based on consumables and garnet.
    Another fab company I use quite a bit uses a CNC plasma table for all their cutting. This is a much cheaper solution when cutting metal. I would definitely look at the total cost of the unit, inclusing pump rebuilds, jewels, CAD software to program with, water filter/purifier, etc...
    Good Luck,
    Joshua

Leave a comment:

• storts
    replied
    Bulldog

I agree , im from ct. and a water jet is going to get you MAYBE?????? 4 months off, ihave a friend, that bought a brandie new about 3 months ago,and he will not spend a nickle to see the statue of Liberty take a dump, Ill see him in the begininging of next week, so they cant br that outragus, HOW thick?. Thanks ,Jack

Leave a comment:

• Bulldog
    replied
    I live in New York... You cant retire in New York for the price of a water jet... Heck I couldn't even take a year off. Not that I would want to.
    Bulldog

Leave a comment:

Working...
X