X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tau44
    • May 2006

Tubing

Where is the best place on the web to purchase DOM tubing? I want to build a race car and the local steel place doesn't carry DOM or ERW only strecher grade?

Thanks,
    Tau
  • burninbriar
    • Sep 2005

I dont know what DOM & ERW is,but I cant buy sheet metal where I live.I started dealing with Shapiro Supply and they carry all sorts of specialty metals includeing titanium.They cater to small order needs and will cut youre material any way you want.If I remember right pipe can be 8' and still go UPS.Any thing longer has to be speicial delivery.I think they are in St. Louis.
    To all who contribute to this board.
    My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
    Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
    Miller Syncrowave 250
    Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

Comment

• Ryphraph
      • Sep 2004

You can look at
      www.chassisshop.com.
      They seem to have a good selection of 4130 DOM. I have never bought any from them though.

Ryph

Comment

• 10secBu
        • Aug 2002

Tubing

Where are you located?

Dillsburg Aeroplane works in Dillsburg, PA has the largest inventory & best pricing I've found on 4130 chromoly tubing. They may also do DOM mild steel as well.

Comment

• Tau44
          • May 2006

Western Kentucky- I am looking for some DOM tubing to build a chasis.

Comment

• jolane
            • Jan 2005

If I remember correctly, The Chassis Shop has a minimum order. I can't remember what it is exactly, but I do remember I thought it was sort of high for what I needed. You may want to check on any minimums before planning your project.
            Joshua

Comment

• eric75
              • Sep 2004

In the Flint area we've never had problems getting someone to sell us the tubing we need. Just look up steel in the phone book , and call them for quotes. Some normally carry it, others are willing to get it in for us. The company that comes in with a price 5 times cheaper actually has it in stock, while all the others are just playing middle man.

Perhaps my good fortune in this matter is because I was purchasing for a university that is has existing commercial accounts with all the local places.

Not to recommend something that could get you in trouble... but, you may be better off to order through your employer's purchasing department and use the company name as the customer. You can do a reverse expense report to pay for the material, and a bag of doughnuts will cover the handling fees. Depends on the office politics whether this is OK or not.

Comment

• storts
                • Jun 2006

Tubing

Mormon Keystone is all over the usa, and you cant beat the prices on anything, wish i had unpacked all my boxes from moving, or i could give you thr location nearest you,,and they are the nicest people to deal with,Jack

Comment

• burninbriar
                  • Sep 2005

I looked at several sites and didnt see any tubeing designated DOM or ERW.What does DOM & ERW stand for?

Pureox OA
                  Miller Syncrowave 250

Comment

• joebass
                    Banned
                    • Dec 2005

DOM = Drawn over mandrel
                    ERW = Electrical resistance welded

DOM is much more uniform and has no seam in it.

Comment

• joebass
                      Banned
                      • Dec 2005

By the way www.onlinemetals.com has a pretty good selection and the prices are not that bad.

Comment

• burninbriar
                        • Sep 2005

Thanks joebass,I've seen it plenty of times,just didnt put the initials together.I guess I was hung up on thinking it had to do with race regulations.Oh well,live and learn.

Pureox OA
                        Miller Syncrowave 250

Comment

• Daved
                          • Sep 2004

How far away are you from Nashville, TN? They have a Dillon Supply there. The Dillon here in Raleigh doesn't stock the DOM but they can (and have) ordered what I wanted and I was able to pick it up within a week. Have to buy full sticks (about 21') though.

The onlinemetals.com steel prices look sky high to me and then you have the shipping costs.

Comment

• 98AccordEX
                            • Dec 2004

Originally posted by 10secBu
                            Where are you located?

Dillsburg Aeroplane works in Dillsburg, PA has the largest inventory & best pricing I've found on 4130 chromoly tubing. They may also do DOM mild steel as well.
                            can you tell me where this place is? i live 5 minutes from Dillsburg. do they only have chromoly? i need some 3" tubing for exhaust work. do they have bends and straights?

Comment

Working...
                            X