Need motor powered Air compressor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need motor powered Air compressor

Ok next week I get my trialblazer 302G with the Kohler/GFI welder. Now I need to get my Air compressor but dont know the brands. Or what will hold up in the hard working moble welding.

Come On guys let me know what is the best for the buck!!

Gary
    Dry Creek Welding
    Dynasty 300DX Tigrunner
    Trailblazer 302
    Spectrum 2050
    suitcase 12RC

For the buck I like the Rigid duel tank 5 hp unit , it has more cfm volume than the competitive Dewalt unit and 50 bucks cheaper. Both Honda powered.. One yellow one orange, I like the yellow color better than the orange but I am color blind other than blue When you step up out of the 700.00 range my money is on IR, but that is the 1200.00 range

Comment

I wish you were a little closer as I have a 10 HP Ingersol attached to an 89 dodge 1ton with a crane and a lift gate on an 11 ft bed available! I would second the IR recomendation as for a compressor. JEFF
      200DX 350P 625 Plasma & other stuff I forgot

Comment

Although not an engine powered model, I also have an IR in my garage (non-mobile). I third the motion for IR. What a great piece of equipment!
        Joshua

Comment

Originally posted by GaryM
          Ok next week I get my trialblazer 302G with the Kohler/GFI welder. Now I need to get my Air compressor but dont know the brands. Or what will hold up in the hard working moble welding.

Gary
          Gary,
          I don't have an engine compressor but my shop one is a Champion. I think that hands down they are the best out there. I did a ton of research before I took the plunge. Here is a link that will take you to their site and information.

http://www.gardnerdenver.com/GDCorpP...ute=to&id=1479

Every truck I see around here has a Champion engine driven compressor. If you want, you could call Jeff at C & K Petroleum here in Eugene (our local Champion dealer/expert) and he would be happy to steer you in the right direction. 541-344-3476

Good luck.
          Dynasty 350DX
          Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
          MM 350P
          MM Passport Plus
          Spectrum 375 Extreme
          08' Trailblazer 302

Comment

I bought a Curtis pump, Leroi makes a better pump, full pressure lube but costs more. I think this 4 cyl 2 stage was 1200, maybe 14, cant remember for sure, but then there is the unloader valve and a head unloader, cost about 300 more. The air comp guy strongly recommended the pricey unloader, 180$, said the 60$ ones had problems. I probably could have plumbed it a little differently moving it closer to the unit but I put the unloader near the controls.
            Attached Files

Comment

Gary,
              I have had a Champion compressor on my truck since 1987, it has had an 11 horse Honda for about 10 years, since original Briggs wore out.
              I am currently looking at a 13 horse Ingersoll Rand T-30.
              Both are excellent units. The champion is rubber mounted, but the IR is easier to find in my area.
              Either one is good, but I have been told to stay far away from the I-R ts series compressors.
              Good luck, jh
              Jeff

Comment

Welcome J Hall,
                I am curious about why you were told to stay away from IR TS series? I own a TS5, which is a two stage inline type compressor, and have had great luck with it. It is in a home garage though only used on weekends really for air tools and automotive work. Maybe this is an unrealistic desire, but I hope to never have problems with this compressor for decades to come. Is there anything in particular that I should look for?
                Thanks,
                Joshua

I choose it for a number of reasons over the Type 30 style, takes up less room, got a good deal on it, etc...

Comment

Air compressor

I have a 325 Quincy compressor with a 12 HP Kohler that I put together in 1977 for my first service truck and it still runs great. I also have a 325 Quincy 5HP 3 phase compressor in the shop.
                  Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by Sberry
                    I bought a Curtis pump, Leroi makes a better pump, full pressure lube but costs more. I think this 4 cyl 2 stage was 1200, maybe 14, cant remember for sure, but then there is the unloader valve and a head unloader, cost about 300 more. The air comp guy strongly recommended the pricey unloader, 180$, said the 60$ ones had problems. I probably could have plumbed it a little differently moving it closer to the unit but I put the unloader near the controls.

Curtis does make a better pump. I been real happy with mine. (standard) The Masterline is about as good as they get.

http://www.curtistoledo.com/

Comment

Gary

Gary,

There is a lot of good advice here. I have a single stage Rol-Air Compressor with a Honda engine that has served me well. It is a pontoon style that pumps 105 PSI at 14.1 CFM. I will easily keep up with an ARC-AIR K2000 gouge torch and, but a K-3000 is a little much for it. I am no longer doing mobile work and would sell it to you for a really good deal if you are interested. As for the freight I have a Fortune 100 company freight discount so it would really be inexpensive to ship. No pressure here and just an offer for you or anybody else interested. My email is [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by jolane
                        Welcome J Hall,
                        I am curious about why you were told to stay away from IR TS series? I own a TS5, which is a two stage inline type compressor, and have had great luck with it. It is in a home garage though only used on weekends really for air tools and automotive work. Maybe this is an unrealistic desire, but I hope to never have problems with this compressor for decades to come. Is there anything in particular that I should look for?
                        Thanks,
                        Joshua

I choose it for a number of reasons over the Type 30 style, takes up less room, got a good deal on it, etc...
                        jolane, I was told by my dealer that the ts is a lighter duty unit, while the t30 is continuos duty. My compressor needs to run every day, sometimes 10 hours in all kinds of weather, since it is on my truck.
                        I think you shold have good service from yours as well. regular maintenance is key. thanks, jh
                        Jeff

Comment

Thanks J Hall,
                          I looked and read and researched as much as I could before buying the TS for my garage. I knew that the Type 30's are very well known, but since I got a good deal on the TS, I went for it. I definitely do not use mine as much as you do, maybe a few hours a week during the weekends, running a one man shop. I would love to hear aabout the TS series durability in a few years...curious now.
                          Thanks Again,
                          Joshua

Comment

Still looking

Well I am still looking at all brands of Air compressor for my truck. I have only found one that kinda fits the price and size range that i was looking for.

Would like to get your take on it. Its a Dewalt(i know not really a Air compressor company) D55275

So what you think or if anyone knows of a compressor that is about the same
                            $1500 is my max

Gary
                            Dry Creek Welding
                            Dynasty 300DX Tigrunner
                            Trailblazer 302
                            Spectrum 2050
                            suitcase 12RC

Comment

Would like to get your take on it. Its a Dewalt(i know not really a Air compressor company) D55275
                              Gary
                              I believe DeWalt bought Emglo which was an air compressor company. I have had good luck with Emglo compressors in the past and wouldn't have a problem buying another. Hopefully DeWalt continues to keep the Emglo quality.

Comment

Working...
                              X