No announcement yet.

Aluminum welding questions, and one SS/TI question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for pics. This is the best illustration of the use of the two different tecniques that I have seen. I was wondering about how you cleaned the material before welding. I will be printing this thread for my shop file as I am amazed by the 1000 words the pictures speak. I really appreciate the info from a pure knowledge standpoint as I do not have an direct use for the process in my home shop but it goes a long way to clarifying some of the things I have read. Thanks again , JEFF
    200DX 350P 625 Plasma & other stuff I forgot

Comment

I used an industrial purple cleaner for these. It wasnt the best, but i didnt want to deal with a caustic solution that night. That cleaner was a Zep product, its similar to a concentrated 409. Castoral makes a version too. The best stuff is avaliable from your local auto parts dealer. Eagle 1 brand "Rough Cast Magnesium Wheel Cleaner" it is a mixture of nitric and phosphoric acid. Wear gloves, spray it on, scrub it with a scotch brite pad and wash it off with water. Works great.

Comment

I use a similar cleaner called Formula 260 and it works pretty well as a general cleaner too. I never thought about the wheel cleaner and I probably have some on the shelf! I have been using Al-Clean byArcAir ( a phos. acid) to clean joints where I'd rather not have brush marks which seems to also work ok but a bit more pricey than some Eagle One wheel product would be. Once again Thanks for the tips. I've been to several well produced TIG seminars but no one has cover this topic. JEFF

Comment

What seminars have you been to?

Comment

Over the last few years I have been to two with Wyatt Swaim of the TIG Depot. He has a pretty long resume' and does a good job for a general interest setting. They were both put on by local supply houses here in St Louis. I also attended one with the welding guru from lincoln who welds for the NHRA tour, Paul, it was just OK. I went to one at Cee Kay supply in St Louis presented by their in house guy named Tim S. It was probably the most in depth as far as teqnique and different applications that I have been to. He is also an instructor at a local college so it was very well laid out. These have all been geared toward a general audience with a range of attendees from hobbiest(me) through industry and motorsports (me too). I try to hit these any time they are available as good info is hard to come by so the more sources I can take in the better. Sorry for the long answer...Thanks again, JEFF

Comment

Working...
            X