No announcement yet.

OT: platform needs to be put back together

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pile Buck, thanx for the input. i am in the process of getting set up to reside some rental property, a couple are two story. as a slumlord I couldn't afford to pay full price for one of these platforms, don't think OSHA will be a problem, maybe the City that the disgruntled neighbor called because I wouldn't sell her the house. I stopped by the recyling center the other day and asked the guy if he had any scrap al that I could make a platform with and he pulled out this set that he had been saving. Not sure if he was thinking of welding it back together but i sure was when I saw it. So far i am into it for $1 per lb. Hopefully, it it ever fails it will be gradual and the rope around my waist will also save me. Just need to keep the cell with me to call the fire dept to get me down. never did like yelling for help, it's embarrassing and the neighbors laugh at you. Hey, i wish I could say this was a test but I am probably now no more of an engineer than anyone else on this board. kind of sad to go to school for four years and then not use the degree to earn a living, especially when I think of how hard it was for me to get it. But at least I can now work on my own cars.

Comment

Hey glockdoc, just be careful, and maybe check into buying / renting a harness. Friends of ours, her parents own the local Chevy dealership, and he works there as well, anyway years ago they owned an A frame house, he decides to re-roof it himself. He doesn’t want to rent ladder jacks or anything for that matter! So he ties a rope to the bumper of his Volkswagen bug, climbs up one side of the roof ties the rope around his waste and repels down the other side to work on his roof. This works really well. Now this goes on for a couple weeks and he is very comfortable working like this. One Saturday afternoon his wife comes out of the house, tells him she is headed to town, does he need anything? Nope! Yep you guessed it, she takes the bug, drags him up the roof, with him just screaming, but she doesn’t stop until he has been drug down the driveway a little ways! So be careful!

Comment

Right Hawk....Bob
        Bob Wright

Comment

If I was doing it I would weld it up full pen, grind flush and lay a couple flat bar straps along the bottom flanges just a little wider than the flanges and weld lengthways down each side. Maybe throw another flat across the middle if I got paranoid. Be neat and no one will ever notice it has been repaired. A really good repair isa one you cant tell its been worked on,,, sometimes its a shame to hide our best work,, ha

Comment

Working...
          X